Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old, Slow, Tired LapTop - 120GB SSD Sata III, £25 Offer  (Read 1590 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Might help someone out with a tired old Lappy, 120GB Solid State Hard Drive, Sata III 2.5" 560mb/s write speed for 25 Notes, wont be around for long though so dont hang about.

Also a Good opportunity to start again with a Fresh OS Install, also 4.2% less via TopCashBack as well

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-2-5-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html

« Last Edit: 06 April 2018, 16:17:32 by zirk »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Old, Slow, Tired LapTop - 120GB SSD Sata III, £25 Offer
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2018, 16:38:51 »

Hummm, I have a POS HP EliteBook which could do with an upgrade, thing is not sure if I would use it again as it was for VCDS/VAG-COM. Unless I go VAG again for 3.2 replacement  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2018, 18:05:28 »

Good find Zirk - just ordered a couple to pop in the 2 laptops I use for diags....  ...even though they are both XP, which lacks TRIM.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2018, 18:08:42 »

//TB scratches chin, ponders whether or not to get yet another one to replace the 64Gb one in his ageing Netbook...
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2018, 18:53:11 »

//TB scratches chin, ponders whether or not to get yet another one to replace the 64Gb one in his ageing Netbook...
For 25 quid it would be rude not to.  ;D

They had a similar offer a while back and it did go Out of Stock within Hours.  ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2018, 02:50:45 »

When I saw the headline "old, slow, tired laptop, £25 offer' I thought it an advert by Lord Opti to replace his chambermaid where she couldn't keep up with his multi-hourly demands. ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

JimmyR

• West Midlands
    • Astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2018, 19:14:14 »

I've got an old laptop on Windows 7 that I use just for Tech 2 stuff - would it be a pain to swap for this?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2018, 19:16:39 »

As long as the laptop is SATA, and you're happy to reinstall the OS, yup :y

You can use cloning software to clone the drive over, but personally I CBA with all that faff, and prefer to rebuild.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2018, 21:03:55 »

Well my 2 SSD arrived today, no time to do fresh Install, will do that later, so I just cloned the existing HHD, under EaseUs (Partition Tool) ticked the Optomised for SSD when Cloning. Job done swapped the drive and various required System Re Boots later was up and running in no time.

Now one thing I noticed its not as quick as my older SanDisk SSD when it was in there, thats dead now, so was using a 2TB Fuji HHD. did some quick quick checks, Trim is on, trimed it again, etc, all seems good but one thing I noticed under Properties is the Disk is showing up as (Standard disk drive) Manufacture is Microsoft?, should this be the case?

Did do a Crystal Mark test on the other SSD and its seems to do what it says on the tin, so I assume the SSD are good to go, even though they were cheap.

Have I missed something, by the way we are talking a really old crappy Sammy Netbook (Win10 Pro) here, but from memory the older SanDisk SSD did run a lot faster.

Thoughts ?, I know its short term, as I will be doing a Fresh Install as and when and hopefully that will help, but meanwhile would be good to iron out any speed issues now.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2018, 19:12:28 »

Now one thing I noticed its not as quick as my older SanDisk SSD when it was in there, thats dead now, so was using a 2TB Fuji HHD. did some quick quick checks, Trim is on, trimed it again, etc, all seems good but one thing I noticed under Properties is the Disk is showing up as (Standard disk drive) Manufacture is Microsoft?, should this be the case?

Well without any intervention from me a just another Power on Today, the Disk is now showing as 'SATA ATA Device, Media Type Solid State Drive'. think I just leave it be for now, and let Win10 sort it when I do a fresh Install.  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2018, 20:23:18 »

Mine arrived yesterday, but a bad bout of CBA means they are still in the packet ;D

My laptop with a Sandisk Ultra II 240Gb is reporting as standard disk drive as well...

NAND controller makes a lot of difference, as well as the NAND. So one SSD is not quite same as another.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.