Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bookmakers . .scum of the earth  (Read 4596 times)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Bookmakers . .scum of the earth
« on: 15 April 2018, 11:17:09 »

Cannot believe this ... yesterday was Grand national day  . . .probably the biggest betting day on the UK calender. Where everyone & his dog have a little flutter on the big race .
The race was off at 5.15 pm , so likely that a lot of the winners who had money to collect , would go in to the shops this morning.
I have just been to collect a small wager for my grandaughter who picked the winner, only to be told , "Sorry we cannot pay out today , the little float of money we are allowed to keep in the shop overnight has gone already"  :o :o :o

It seems they banked the vast majority of money taken yesterday & cannot replenish until Monday .

Only one to describle this shower of Shi*e . . .W*nkers !

Naming & shaming here   ..  .LADBROKES  :o :o
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

STEMO

Re: Bookmakers . .scum of the earth
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2018, 11:52:54 »

Yes, hang them all  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2018, 11:57:09 »

Could be worse, you could have lost all her money on a different horse...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2018, 12:03:01 »

Excuse me for sounding thick....but why the difference to todays float, and the rest of the week's float !!!! ???
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2018, 12:13:33 »

Because they knew they would have to pay out winnings today , so bank the cash for 24 hours extra interest .
plus you'll all need to make a second visit to the shop and may well place another bet  :y

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2018, 12:33:13 »

Excuse me for sounding thick....but why the difference to todays float, and the rest of the week's float !!!! ???
Because they can't get a float from the bank on a Sunday, and I doubt they'd take enough today to pay out for yesterday. They will have dropped yesterdays takings in the night safe.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2018, 12:43:38 »

So like most sensible businesses they bank cash at the end of the day for security purposes.  ???

It might make things inconvenient for those hoping to collect their winnings today, but hardly puts them in the Scum Of the Earth box does it?  ???  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2018, 13:29:58 »

So like most sensible businesses they bank cash at the end of the day for security purposes.  ???

It might make things inconvenient for those hoping to collect their winnings today, but hardly puts them in the [i]Scum Of the Earth[/i] box does it?  ???  ::)  ;D

A notice when placing bets to advise of this ,  would have been nice,

But as on here and most forums, each to their own opinion  >:(

British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2018, 14:13:00 »

It might make things inconvenient for those hoping to collect their winnings today, but hardly puts them in the [i]Scum Of the Earth[/i] box does it?  ???  ::)  ;D

A notice when placing bets to advise of this ,  would have been nice,

But as on here and most forums, each to their own opinion  >:(

Yep!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2018, 14:20:05 »

Because they knew they would have to pay out winnings today , so bank the cash for 24 hours extra interest .
plus you'll all need to make a second visit to the shop and may well place another bet  :y

In my experience in the retail trade it was crucial to ensure all week-end takings were 'banked', via Securicor, by 1200 Monday at the absolute latest (as banks accounts only became current again from Midnight on the Sunday) to obtain maximum interest.  In fact my company used to transfer our cash rich deposits from our account to our parents company's bank account to then gain tens of thousands of extra interest in that account worth billions.

Money has to be made to work and in a good business it is made to every hour of the day. ;)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2018, 14:30:26 »

In my experience in the retail trade it was crucial to ensure all week-end takings were 'banked', via Securicor, by 1200 Monday at the absolute latest (as banks accounts only became current again from Midnight on the Sunday) to obtain maximum interest.  In fact my company used to transfer our cash rich deposits from our account to our parents company's bank account to then gain tens of thousands of extra interest in that account worth billions.

Money has to be made to work and in a good business it is made to every hour of the day. ;)

;D ;D ;D  As in most of industry & business . . .customers are the last to be considered  >:(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2018, 14:58:10 »

;D ;D ;D  As in most of industry & business . . .customers are the last to be considered  >:(

But it is amazing how often the owners/managers forget the need for MAXIMISING profit, the crucial element of any business.  Then Customer Service can be given from a healthy, viable, entity. A commercial entity that does not look after it's profits will not last long to give that Customer Service the public expect, as many, in large businesses, are now discovering! ;) 

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2018, 15:51:47 »

They can't leave money on the premises overnight......end of. I regularly have a flutter, but I haven't been near a bookies for years. Moving into the 21st century might help your cause.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2018, 18:01:15 »

I doubt the business involved would be able to get insurance cover for significant amounts of cash held on premises over the weekend.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2018, 18:57:53 »

I doubt the business involved would be able to get insurance cover for significant amounts of cash held on premises over the weekend.

Main line businesses in retail are not insured for stock or cash losses and instead cover themselves as the premiums would be astromical to do so.  No, a hit is taken in the P&L accounts, usually within the gross profit line and is classed as "wastage". ;)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2018, 19:01:45 by Lizzie Zoom »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2018, 19:04:19 »

That makes sense, Lizzie. The college I worked at did not carry any insurance because of the transient population and criminal intent of the students!
They said the cost of insurance would be prohibitive and would replace any equipment "lost" out of budget. Guess what didn't happen?  :(

Ron

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2018, 19:14:36 »

That makes sense, Lizzie. The college I worked at did not carry any insurance because of the transient population and criminal intent of the students!
They said the cost of insurance would be prohibitive and would replace any equipment "lost" out of budget. Guess what didn't happen?  :(

Ron

That is what would be different in the academic world compared to retail.  When we lost say £10,000 due to robbery/burglary we HAD to replace the stock to remain in business. A college can make do without a printer or laptop, at least for a few months!! :o :o :D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2018, 19:21:24 »

No, not really. I am talking about essential test equipment needed for class practicals: even oscilloscopes, big and heavy, went walkabout!
At an earlier college, a senior lecturer thought it would be nice to have some small test meters rather than large Avometers. After I had a gentle word with him, he got them mounted securely on large wooden boards!  :)

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2018, 19:33:02 »

No, not really. I am talking about essential test equipment needed for class practicals: even oscilloscopes, big and heavy, went walkabout!
At an earlier college, a senior lecturer thought it would be nice to have some small test meters rather than large Avometers. After I had a gentle word with him, he got them mounted securely on large wooden boards!  :)

Ron.

Right! :o :o

Sounds like your college had "removal men" visiting, no doubt dressed in brown coats and acting the part. You know Ron I partially joke, but it is amazing how your staff, customers, and even 'security' can be fooled by thieves looking the part, and having the bottle, can just walk in unchallenged and pick even very large bits of property up and walk off with it.

My experience included delivery men depositing their delivery goods in a store and picking up parts of a previous delivery due to bad staff training (or stupidity) ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2018, 20:20:59 »

I know of one retail group with an effective wastage of 50% of the group profit :-X

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2018, 21:36:03 »

They can't leave money on the premises overnight......end of. I regularly have a flutter, but I haven't been near a bookies for years. Moving into the 21st century might help your cause.

I haven't been in a bookies since I was 14 !  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2018, 21:44:16 »

I haven't been in a bookies since I was 14 !  ;D
Never been in one in my entire life, all 73yrs of it.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2018, 09:27:37 »

Bookies leave no cash on the premises over night and the backs are shut on a Sunday  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2018, 18:56:36 »

Main line businesses in retail are not insured for stock or cash losses and instead cover themselves as the premiums would be astromical to do so.  No, a hit is taken in the P&L accounts, usually within the gross profit line and is classed as "wastage". ;)
I know exactly what bro is insured for in his shops, including cash in the tills/safes, and stock in the window at different times, and general stock in the premises.  Which is why I posted what I did ;)
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2018, 19:02:39 »

I know exactly what bro is insured for in his shops, including cash in the tills/safes, and stock in the window at different times, and general stock in the premises.  Which is why I posted what I did ;)

Small businesses may insure for some stock and cash, but the big boys certainly do not due, as I stated before, the premiums if they did for millions of pounds worth of stock and cash is just not viable.  Taking the risk of losing a percentage of profit and spending money on good security is a far better financial solution;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2018, 19:05:10 »

We don't know how big this bookie is. Either way, though, it clearly makes sense that then don't have huge amounts of cash overnight...
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2018, 19:18:14 »

We don't know how big this bookie is. Either way, though, it clearly makes sense that then don't have huge amounts of cash overnight...

And that is why Securicor or similar cash collection services are contracted.  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2018, 19:23:49 »

And that is why Securicor or similar cash collection services are contracted.  ;)
I think you'll find smaller businesses more often DIY on costs grounds...
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2018, 19:32:20 »

No doubt TB they do.  But then those businesses not only risk losing the money when the staff member is attacked going to the bank's night safe, but being sued for not exercising a duty of care to their staff and putting them at risk. That really is a strategy that was preveliant in the past, but in 2018 is not a good idea. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2018, 20:14:40 »

No doubt TB they do.  But then those businesses not only risk losing the money when the staff member is attacked going to the bank's night safe, but being sued for not exercising a duty of care to their staff and putting them at risk. That really is a strategy that was preveliant in the past, but in 2018 is not a good idea. ;)
There are certain rules in place, to comply with the insurance companies' requirements, as they don't want to their customer's staff sprung either. It remains the only viable idea in 2018 for small and medium retail businesses.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 April 2018, 21:28:55 »

WWVWD?

*What Would Volkswagen Do...  ::)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 April 2018, 07:42:07 »

;D ;D ;D  Mr. STEMO  you know "Cash is King" ,even more so in the punting world  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: 18 April 2018, 07:53:35 by Alnico Blue »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.