Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2003 Overheating , hesitant issue  (Read 2691 times)

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
Omega 2003 Overheating , hesitant issue
« on: 27 May 2018, 04:13:24 »

Hello omega owners 😁, i hope you are all doing great!
i am an proud owner of an omega 2003 , 2.2 liter Petrol, i have this weird issue with my omega, it happened to me twice , when i have my air conditioning on and driving my car , after a while especially going uphill , the temperature gauge increase dramatically until it reaches around the first Red line and it stops there , i dont get a warning light or anything , or the gauge increase it just get stuck just before the first red line, and there is a noticable hesitant and loss of power that goes through the car even at the lowest Gear, after i turn off the car to cool down it gets back with normal power after cooling down , please note that i replaced my radiator with a new one and still this issue occured even after that , and i notice it when i run my AC , without AC it doesnt happen at all , so what could be causing this issue??, and why i have this loss of power when the car heats up,

thanks alot!

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2003 Overheating , hesitant issue
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2018, 08:34:15 »

could be a problem with the a/c pump. could be water in the a/c lines. have you had the A/C checked ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2018, 10:02:35 »

Are the radiator cooling fans all working (2 on a 2.2 I believe).  One should be one whenever the A/C is on, the other come on when the temp is just over midpoint on the gauge (around 92C on a 2.2)
Grumpy old man

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2018, 11:03:54 »

could be a problem with the a/c pump. could be water in the a/c lines. have you had the A/C checked ?

i had the AC refilled with refrigerant just before 2 months , the system seems to be working fine with no issues, how could that affect the car overheating , if there is any water or something similar in system the cooling of the AC system would be poor or non existent but that is not the case , the system works perfectly fine 😊

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2018, 11:05:27 »

Are the radiator cooling fans all working (2 on a 2.2 I believe).  One should be one whenever the A/C is on, the other come on when the temp is just over midpoint on the gauge (around 92C on a 2.2)

Yes , all the fans are working perfectly and when they need to , the ac fan works on the highest speed when i run it , and the radiator fan works perfectly fine depending on the temperature

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2018, 11:14:35 »

Yes , all the fans are working perfectly and when they need to , the ac fan works on the highest speed when i run it , and the radiator fan works perfectly fine depending on the temperature

Does the car actually show any signs of overheating?

If not my old 2l (X20XEV) did something very similar. After changing the thermostat, radiator etc it turned out to be a poor earth from the engine to chassis.

Good luck.

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 11:20:09 »

Does the car actually show any signs of overheating?

If not my old 2l (X20XEV) did something very similar. After changing the thermostat, radiator etc it turned out to be a poor earth from the engine to chassis.

Good luck.

hey there , and thank you for your answer , actually it does overheat only when i use AC and drive in harsh uphill or someroad that needs high rpm , but without AC being on , it does not overheat no matter the driving condition the cooling seems to be perfect without AC On

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2018, 20:15:19 »

i had the AC refilled with refrigerant just before 2 months , the system seems to be working fine with no issues, how could that affect the car overheating , if there is any water or something similar in system the cooling of the AC system would be poor or non existent but that is not the case , the system works perfectly fine 😊
water in the a/c lines can corrode up. adds more pressure to the pump. pump has more resistance then the engine has to work harder. can lead to the pump failing.

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2018, 23:14:01 »

water in the a/c lines can corrode up. adds more pressure to the pump. pump has more resistance then the engine has to work harder. can lead to the pump failing.

I can see the sense in what you said , and i partially agree with it , but the thing that i cant wrap my mind around it , is the AC system having any moisture in it will make it work so poorly or not even work at all , but as i mentioned the AC system works perfectly fine, what i can tell with what you have mentioned is that when i run the AC system the pressure and load on the engine increase dramatically that a failed water pump cant make it up for to cool it down as needed , but thanks for the eye opener that you mentioned here , let me know if you have more explanation or a different thought in this matter

Thanks alot!

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2018, 08:19:48 »

I can see the sense in what you said , and i partially agree with it , but the thing that i cant wrap my mind around it , is the AC system having any moisture in it will make it work so poorly or not even work at all , but as i mentioned the AC system works perfectly fine, what i can tell with what you have mentioned is that when i run the AC system the pressure and load on the engine increase dramatically that a failed water pump cant make it up for to cool it down as needed , but thanks for the eye opener that you mentioned here , let me know if you have more explanation or a different thought in this matter

Thanks alot!

When you use the aircon in a car the engine does run hotter as there is more to cool. Hence the secondary fan.

It sounds like your cooling system is marginal and when you combine the aircon with a hill it is too much and the cooling system fails.

Just because you've changed the radiator doesn't mean your cooling system is good.

So start with the basics and go from there

abokayed

• Amman
    • Omega Elegance 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2018, 12:34:56 »

Thanks alot!

When you use the aircon in a car the engine does run hotter as there is more to cool. Hence the secondary fan.

It sounds like your cooling system is marginal and when you combine the aircon with a hill it is too much and the cooling system fails.

Just because you've changed the radiator doesn't mean your cooling system is good.

So start with the basics and go from there

yes i totally agree with you, but changing my radiator was at the time the solution for ke because i had leaking issues so it was like the main concern , but as you mentioned when it gets too much for the engine to be cooled the system fails

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2018, 15:54:32 »

Yes but something else is wrong.

It could be your block is full of gunge from sporadic couldn't changes during the cars life.

It could be early signs of head gasket failure.

It could be a lot of things.

Without inspecting the car it's hard to say what it could be.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2018, 21:06:52 »

Is your radiator fan on all the time?

My AC and Rad fans are both on all the time.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2018, 21:18:12 by Andy A »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.