Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum censorship  (Read 8074 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Forum censorship
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2018, 12:38:03 »

Lizzie, the humour has disappeared from the world - and this Forum to an extent - with respect going out of the window too.
I will no longer respond to untoward comments; it's pointless and only spreads discontent.
Like you, I have benefitted greatly from the true purpose of the Forum - mutual help and knowledge interchange. My Omega would be holding baked beans by now if it were not for the help received, for which I will be eternally grateful.

My "Check my science" post was in a genuine attempt to seek confirmation (or denial!) of my thoughts, and I also took the literal meaning of the word "science" - knowledge/understanding.

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2018, 12:38:36 »

I think there should be a ban on sexist remarks, and swearing, with and without the use of ** to aid offensive language getting past the word filter.

People didn't swear in the 1950's and there is no need for it now.

Ungentlemanly comments about ladies and their 'bits' should be banned.
I'm too young to remember the 50's, so I can't comment.

As am I.

I do know the fifties was in black and white though. A dull decade following six years of war. I don't believe rationing stopped completely until about 1953.

Somebody in power clearly needed to pull their finger out.

I think you know Opti, Britain was bankrupt owing £3 billion pounds, mainly to the USA.  Our balance of payments was shot and the country could not afford to import anything but the essentials, which meant rationing continued until the year I was born.  With me in the world everything gradually got better  ;D ;D ;D ;). But, yes, it was a black & white Britain up to about 1965 when colour in all things started to win through. 8) 8)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2018, 12:41:07 »

... this is a free forum, with minimal rules, run by people who work for free.
This is not a free forum

That is my point.

I await the moderators comments.
I'm sorry, how much do you pay to access OOF? Because I didn't mean free speech, you are a fool if you think that exists. More importantly, could I also ask who and how you've paid? As I've tried to donate cash to this very forum and was told, 'there was no need' and 'there is no mechanism in place'.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2018, 12:42:18 »

With me in the world everything gradually got better  ;D ;D ;D ;). But, yes, it was a black & white Britain up to about 1965 when colour in all things started to win through. 8) 8)

Were you a flower power hippy chick Lizzie?  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2018, 12:43:05 »

Lizzie, the humour has disappeared from the world - and this Forum to an extent - with respect going out of the window too.
I will no longer respond to untoward comments; it's pointless and only spreads discontent.
Like you, I have benefitted greatly from the true purpose of the Forum - mutual help and knowledge interchange. My Omega would be holding baked beans by now if it were not for the help received, for which I will be eternally grateful.

My "Check my science" post was in a genuine attempt to seek confirmation (or denial!) of my thoughts, and I also took the literal meaning of the word "science" - knowledge/understanding.

Ron.

I agree with all that you say Ron, and certainly I would not be on my sixth Omega without the OOF.

And yes, it is pointless for anyone of us, including me, to react to the personal attacks we have witnessed; it is just not worth all the aggro :-* :-*

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2018, 12:44:30 »

With me in the world everything gradually got better  ;D ;D ;D ;). But, yes, it was a black & white Britain up to about 1965 when colour in all things started to win through. 8) 8)

I was Sir Tigger 8) 8) ;D   Then from 1970 I was a Rock chick ;D :y

In 1965 I 'discovered' Radio Carroline and Bob Dylan! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 12:46:20 by Lizzie Zoom »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2018, 12:45:07 »

I think there should be a ban on sexist remarks, and swearing, with and without the use of ** to aid offensive language getting past the word filter.

As am I.

I do know the fifties was in black and white though. A dull decade following six years of war. I don't believe rationing stopped completely until about 1953.

I think you know Opti, Britain was bankrupt owing £3 billion pounds, mainly to the USA.  Our balance of payments was shot and the country could not afford to import anything but the essentials, which meant rationing continued until the year I was born.  With me in the world everything gradually got better  ;D ;D ;D ;). But, yes, it was a black & white Britain up to about 1965 when colour in all things started to win through. 8) 8)

Do you remember 'the summer of lurve' in 1967 Lizzie.

I remember as a small boy being handed a flower by a hippy flower girl in that year, as we walked down the street.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2018, 12:47:36 »

Ooooohh..............I have a mental image forming in my mind. :-* :-* :-*

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2018, 12:49:43 »

As am I.

Do you remember 'the summer of lurve' in 1967 Lizzie.

I remember as a small boy being handed a flower by a hippy flower girl in that year, as we walked down the street.

I do vividly Opti, although I was an innocent girl who did not really at all understand what 'free love' and all the rest meant.  I thought it was just about living as free as flowers; how naive youth is!! ;D ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2018, 12:49:55 »

Repugnant is a pretty strong word. ::)
In the past, threads which discuss controversial subjects have got completely out of hand and caused chaos on the forum.
To my knowledge, admins came close to pulling the plug and walking away, as it became a major disruption to their lives.
Perhaps this is why, from your perspective, locking the thread seemed a tad oversensitive and premature.
Those of us who remember (and were involved in) the "bad old days",  probably understand the reasoning a bit better.
There was a very long (and argumentative) thread on the same subject several years ago. although it caused problems, I think it would be worth your while to search it out and read it.
The reason being, there was quite a lot of serious input, with many useful links, which put the opposite point of view to yours.
We have been here before.  ;)
In my opinion, the only cronies Auto addict might have would be at the local bowls club. He certainly doesnt have any on here. Very few people on here would know him from Adam.
I believe at least part of the reason you have come up against resistance in your posting is that you come across as someone who knows what is right and true, and give the impression that anyone who disagrees only does so because they arent as clever as you.
I also believe that this is the very same reason that Lizzie has run into so much trouble, so many times, over the years on OOF, but I doubt she will ever consider that possibility.
This soon turns threads into a competition to win the argument, rather than a reasoned discussion.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 12:52:43 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2018, 12:50:14 »

I'm sorry, how much do you pay to access OOF? Because I didn't mean free speech, you are a fool if you think that exists. More importantly, could I also ask who and how you've paid? As I've tried to donate cash to this very forum and was told, 'there was no need' and 'there is no mechanism in place'.

I think it is extremely dishonest of you to deliberately misquote me just to promote your point of view.

In your supposed "quote" you deliberately edited out the line from my post which explains the meaning I am attributing to the word free, which has a number of meanings in English.

The line you censored was: This is a forum in which posts are quietly, without announcement, censored and deleted, presumably because the post "offends the cronies". 

Did you think no-one would spot it?

I think you are dishonest.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2018, 12:51:37 »

Yes, a true follower of Led Zeppelin if that helps. :-* :-* :D

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2018, 12:53:46 »

Repugnant is a pretty strong word. ::)
Mig

My use of repugnant was not applied to locking the thread.  I know that a moderators job is a thankless task.

I found it repugnant that my post was deleted, and especially that no acknowledgement was made that it had been deleted. 

That is censorship.

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2018, 12:57:27 »

You're a shouty lot on here, you wanna try a bit of decorum...like me.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2018, 12:58:01 »

Yes, a true follower of Led Zeppelin if that helps. :-* :-* :D

From memory 'rock chicks' were well endowed young ladies who seemed to enjoy wearing clothes that barely covered their ample assets, being one or more size too small. ;) :-* :-*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.