Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toyota 1Q?  (Read 5488 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Toyota 1Q?
« on: 04 June 2018, 22:46:00 »

My brother in law died over the weekend, completely expected, not out-of-the blue or anything.

His estate consists of eff-all. No Will, sod all in the bank, no real assets, nothing that requires probate. However he has a Toyota 1Q 2009 with really low mileage. I drove it around today. I've not driven a car with all the modern Gizmos. It's a small car, but parking sensors, air con, sat nav, CD/USB player. FFS it even tells you when to change gear! BUT the fuel cap cover has been forced open, and the drivers windows motor is knackered, window has brown tape keeping it up. And it stinks of dog. But I'm just tempted to keep it   ::), after a good clean-up

Any thoughts on this car ? Things to watch out for  . . . ?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota 1Q?
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2018, 23:05:35 »

A lad at work has one. He's never complained of anything. I think a lot of cars these days nag you when yo change gear .... its all to do with economy. He's about 6' 2" & 18 stone ...... he looks like Mr Incredible when driving it  ;D ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2018, 23:08:11 »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2018, 06:12:52 »

A lad at work has one. He's never complained of anything. I think a lot of cars these days nag you when yo change gear .... its all to do with economy. He's about 6' 2" & 18 stone ...... he looks like Mr Incredible when driving it  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not small, but seem to fit in ok with some seat adjustment. I was quite surprised.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2018, 08:44:34 »

Ask yourself, why do the indigenous taxi drivers use Toyota's..  they go on for ever.
Hoof'land storeman.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2018, 11:59:58 »

So, yesterday I drove the car from BILs to my house. Now, BIL was an odd bloke, kinda hippy-ish to say the least, with a very different view of the World.

Driving the car was fine, but the stink ! Started looking through the back, rotting food, sandwiches, cakes, apple cores and . . . . . dog poo ! Amazing.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2018, 18:23:41 »

So, yesterday I drove the car from BILs to my house. Now, BIL was an odd bloke, kinda hippy-ish to say the least, with a very different view of the World.

Driving the car was fine, but the stink ! Started looking through the back, rotting food, sandwiches, cakes, apple cores and . . . . . dog poo ! Amazing.
Any dope?  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2018, 18:28:52 »

Ask yourself, why do the indigenous taxi drivers use Toyota's..  they go on for ever.
I don't think they do any more TBH.  Toyota are no more or less reliable than anything else now, ignoring the seemingly troublesome D4D diesel lump.
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2018, 18:33:38 »

Any dope?  ;)

Not in the car, but we've been having to clear out his flat . . .  ::)

In amongst the mountain of crap in the back was an empty engine oil bottle, in the well that has the jack etc was all the oil . . . .

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2018, 08:44:45 »

In amongst the mountain of crap in the back was an empty engine oil bottle, in the well that has the jack etc was all the oil . . . .

At least that bit will never rust! ;D

I had a Toyota .. Aygo, I think it was, or iQ - one or the other - pull up as an Uber when I was in Bratislava, "I'll never fit in that," I thought, at my heaviest of ~30st..

But actually, it felt roomier than the Range Rover that pulled up the next day (driven by someone I can only describe as "hookerish" and which had all the airbag covers taped shut with duct tape after they had clearly deployed!).

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2018, 11:09:15 »

What is a Toyota 1Q?  ::)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2018, 11:14:22 »

Like a Smart but not as good  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2018, 12:30:45 »

What a Smart was trying to be

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2018, 12:54:15 »

No way, Toyota aren't that expensive.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2018, 13:08:49 »

Yes. Smarts are expensive when new.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2018, 13:46:18 »

It's the car that a Smart was trying to be.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2018, 10:33:07 »

It's the car that a Smart was trying to be.

Echo echo echoo   ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 June 2018, 12:20:04 »

Having cleaned yet more dog crap of the back, and given it a bit a a vacuum clean, the stink is starting to get better.

So, road tax is low, about £30 or so I think, and almost 60 mpg ! I'm thinking we might hang onto it as a runabout and see how it goes, 2009 and only 27,500 miles. I'll be looking into repair costs which I think will be pretty high as it may need to go to an official dealer. 60 mpg ! almost as good as my MV6 3.2   ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 June 2018, 12:32:00 »

Having cleaned yet more dog crap of the back, and given it a bit a a vacuum clean, the stink is starting to get better.

So, road tax is low, about £30 or so I think, and almost 60 mpg ! I'm thinking we might hang onto it as a runabout and see how it goes, 2009 and only 27,500 miles. I'll be looking into repair costs which I think will be pretty high as it may need to go to an official dealer. 60 mpg ! almost as good as my MV6 3.2   ::)

I doubt you'll have to do much to it Rog,they are pretty reliable and not complex so easily fettled :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 June 2018, 12:46:06 »

Why do you think it should have to go to Toyota for servicing/repair ? :-\

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 June 2018, 15:23:37 »

Why do you think it should have to go to Toyota for servicing/repair ? :-\

In my experience independents are fine for mechanical matters, but not good or even don't want to know about something like a wrecked fuel cap cover and release switch, and knackered window motor. Where i live, there isn't a huge amount of choice either.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 June 2018, 15:27:30 »

To be fair, Toyota dealers are generally better than most for the overall experience. Prices aren't stupid either...

Woman next door still has her '06 Yaris main dealer serviced, and apart from the odd bulb etc, it has be as reliable as you would expect :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 June 2018, 17:15:14 »

To help get rid of odour, put some fresh coffee granules in a bowl leave under the seat, also try a bowl of scented cat litter.
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 08 June 2018, 17:36:04 »

I remember Clarkson driving an IQ. 'No need to worry about crashing it, because it looks as if it's been crashed already'.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 June 2018, 17:56:15 »

To help get rid of odour, put some fresh coffee granules in a bowl leave under the seat, also try a bowl of scented cat litter.

Yep, or cut open a bag of charcoal and leave it in there for a while.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 June 2018, 17:56:33 »

I remember Clarkson driving an IQ. 'No need to worry about crashing it, because it looks as if it's been crashed already'.
True, but the short bloke who dyed his teeth managed to get an Irish wolf hound in the boot in one piece  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 June 2018, 18:07:46 »

True, but the short bloke who dyed his teeth managed to get an Irish wolf hound in the boot in one piece  ::)
Albeit slowly...
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 June 2018, 18:21:50 »

Trudat ;D

Stand corrected, it was the long haired oaf and a St Bernard...

https://youtu.be/MUy71uGNpzA ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2018, 18:05:51 »

My brother in law died over the weekend, completely expected, not out-of-the blue or anything.

His estate consists of eff-all. No Will, sod all in the bank, no real assets, nothing that requires probate. However he has a Toyota 1Q 2009 with really low mileage. I drove it around today. I've not driven a car with all the modern Gizmos. It's a small car, but parking sensors, air con, sat nav, CD/USB player. FFS it even tells you when to change gear! BUT the fuel cap cover has been forced open, and the drivers windows motor is knackered, window has brown tape keeping it up. And it stinks of dog. But I'm just tempted to keep it   ::), after a good clean-up

Any thoughts on this car ? Things to watch out for  . . . ?

. . . . well anyway, it's now sitting at the back of the house waiting for V5 after change of keeper from DVLA. It still stinks   ::)

I'll clean several times, and then look into the cost of repairs.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2018, 20:04:45 »

Taxed "£30 !!!!!  :y :y :y)

Insured  ???

Yet to have to put petrol in it, but it sometimes tells me 60 MPG   :o    :o    :o

BUT . . . .

It doesn't have a key, which means I keep losing the fob. I've actually completely lost the spare "key". Nope, don't like it

AND

This bloody stop-start crap. I've not really worked out exactly when it stops, and the engine is so quiet I can't tell whether it's running or not without looking at rev counter. Had a few hoots from behind as a result of not pulling away quickly enough (not that anyone here does that  ::)  )

I may get used to it, I mean it is so cheap to run . . . almost as economical as my last Omega (3.2 MV6)

STEMO

« Reply #30 on: 22 July 2018, 20:06:18 »

You can switch stop/start off.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 July 2018, 20:35:29 »

but only at the start of each journey ...

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2018, 20:57:30 »

Yep, like wifey's old Renault.

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 23 July 2018, 08:51:27 »

Unless (like the Skoda) you can re-program the ECU to disable stop start when the battery voltage is below something unfeasibly high (like 15V).. no idea if that's possible on Toyotas as it is on VAG cars, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.