Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the sparks:  (Read 5098 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: One for the sparks:
« Reply #30 on: 24 June 2018, 11:58:31 »

I can remember my Father asking a yoof( not that many years ago ) in the local DIY store for one of those ancient socket connectors that plugged into the light fitting so he could run some power off it  , the poor kid just looked baffled  ;D

There's some of them knocking about at my parents house. Christmas tree fairy lights used to be plugged in with one. I forget now where I've seen the picture ... probably my parents, but it was of a woman ironing with her iron plugged into the light fitting above. :o

It was a very common practice during my childhood :D ;)

But now the fact is that modern irons, especially the steam versions, use up to 2,400 watts, so pulling off around 10 amps, which is totally unsuitable for 5/6 amp wiring fused limit of lighting circuits! ;)
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 12:13:26 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 June 2018, 12:37:52 »

I can remember my Father asking a yoof( not that many years ago ) in the local DIY store for one of those ancient socket connectors that plugged into the light fitting so he could run some power off it  , the poor kid just looked baffled  ;D

There's some of them knocking about at my parents house. Christmas tree fairy lights used to be plugged in with one. I forget now where I've seen the picture ... probably my parents, but it was of a woman ironing with her iron plugged into the light fitting above. :o

But now the fact is that modern irons, especially the steam versions, use up to 2,400 watts, so pulling off around 10 amps, which is totally unsuitable for 5/6 amp wiring fused limit of lighting circuits! ;)
Old wire fuses will glow quite happy for long enough to get a weeks washing made flat with one of them electric hot triangle contraptions  :y
No earth point on them b22 adapters though ,so , don't slosh too much water about  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 June 2018, 14:06:46 »

Old wire fuses will glow quite happy for long enough to get a weeks washing made flat with one of them electric hot triangle contraptions  :y
No earth point on them b22 adapters though ,so , don't slosh too much water about  :y

My grandmother had the right idea.  When I was a very young child I remember seeing her still using fire irons; that is those solid pieces of metal shaped similar to a modern iron that was heated by placing them over an open fire or on top of a range. An environmentalists dream, without a bit of leccy used! 8) 8) ;D ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 June 2018, 15:49:19 »

....  When I was a very young child I remember seeing her still using fire irons; that is those solid pieces of metal shaped similar to a modern iron that was heated by placing them over an open fire or on top of a range. An environmentalists dream, without a bit of leccy used! 8) 8) ;D ;)

Flat irons .....  ;) There are some at home, they make good door stops.  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 June 2018, 17:00:19 »

....  When I was a very young child I remember seeing her still using fire irons; that is those solid pieces of metal shaped similar to a modern iron that was heated by placing them over an open fire or on top of a range. An environmentalists dream, without a bit of leccy used! 8) 8) ;D ;)

Flat irons .....  ;) There are some at home, they make good door stops:y

Indeed, and yes they were called flat irons comes to think about it!

Later, once nan had been persuaded to buy a new fangled electric iron, she used them for that purpose throughout her home, as did my Great Aunt.  They couldn't be without them I suppose. ;)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 June 2018, 19:58:21 »

Flat irons .....  ;) There are some at home, they make good door stops. :y

Agreed I have three of my late mums holding my doors open in this scorcheo weather  :y
« Last Edit: 26 June 2018, 19:59:58 by Tony H »
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 June 2018, 21:38:46 »

a few years ago i changed my old fuse box for a consumer unit and the wife thought i was daft and annoyed i had to kick her out of the house for a few hours while i did it,three weeks later she rings me saying told you it was stupid the powers gone in the house what i found out later when i got home was my lad had stuck a knife in the toaster and she didnt like the big smug grin on my face(stupid eh) 8)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 June 2018, 21:52:21 »

Yep remember those light socket things for powering other electrical items-like irons-flat irons for those who couldn't afford or distrusted those new fangled electric irons-a mangle atop the washing machine a wooden "mushroom" for darning socks and a metal three legged thing with different shapes/sizes on the end of each leg for doing shoe repairs-you never threw anything out whilst ever it could be mended and eventually it became a "hand-me-down"...……….first up best dressed ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 June 2018, 22:31:19 »

That 3-legged cobblers tool was called a Hobbing Foot, Baza; I saw one at a boot sale last year for the first tjme since my grandfather died - he did all our shoes!
Our mangle was in the lean-to, near the outside bog!
In the "Scullery" was the Copper, a huge tub about 6 feet across and made of copper, with a fireplace underneath to heat the water for washing. We never used that, having a posh gas-fired version.
That's East London for you.....

Ron.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.