Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moors fire  (Read 3770 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Moors fire
« on: 27 June 2018, 18:57:38 »

A large part of Saddleworth Moor[people of a certain age will know the notoriety of the place]has been-and still is on fire since the weekend.The smoke of the fire can be seen from space.A few people were evacuated from their homes nearby but some have now been allowed back as long as they give their details to the authorities in case the wind shifts and takes the fire back towards their houses and they need evacuating again.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Re: Moors fire
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2018, 21:16:52 »

The smoke plume can be seen over Liverpool. Also a satellite image provided by NASA showed the smoke over the Isle of Man.  :o
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2018, 21:30:00 »

Yes it's certainly some fire and being where it is and covering so much ground it makes actually fighting it no easy task.All credit to the fire services,the farmers and game keepers[to name some]for their efforts in tackling this with not only the heat generated by the fire itself but also the ambient temperatures we're "enjoying".It must be bloody hard graft for them!!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2018, 09:11:01 »

The army have now been called in ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2018, 09:42:17 »

When we were children, i remember there being fires on the North York moors where we lived. Media didnt report things in those does like they do now. They burnt for days . The only access in those days was on foot. My dad worked for the Forestry Commission and he along with loads of others spent gruelling days and nights ( on overtime) beating he fires out. Those outdoor folks will have seen stands containing beaters in the countryside. In those days a wooden handle fashioned from a sapling with twigs fastened to he end. Now they have a rubber flap on the end.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2018, 11:29:21 »

There was something kicking off near Andover on Saturday. I meant to check for news stories. I was out in the glider and there was a curtain of smoke stretching from there to the south coast. Doesn't take much now everything's tinder dry.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2018, 11:44:19 »

There was something kicking off near Andover on Saturday. I meant to check for news stories. I was out in the glider and there was a curtain of smoke stretching from there to the south coast. Doesn't take much now everything's tinder dry.

Biggish fire on Salisbury Plain??

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/16309451.Large_fire_on_Salisbury_Plain/

Seems they couldn't get near it due to "possible" unexploded ordnance" and left parts to burn out naturally.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2018, 11:58:11 »

That would certainly explain it. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2018, 12:04:58 »

Biggish fire on Salisbury Plain??

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/16309451.Large_fire_on_Salisbury_Plain/

Seems they couldn't get near it due to "possible" unexploded ordnance" and left parts to burn out naturally.

Yup, it's in the impact area where the Royal Artillery Drop-Shorts would fire their ordnance on to, which when I was serving there was a no go area even in armoured vehicles.

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2018, 12:59:13 »

I'm guessing the fire would sort the "unexploded" part of "unexploded ordnance" out!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2018, 18:23:02 »

I'm guessing the fire would sort the "unexploded" part of "unexploded ordnance" out!

Not necessarily.  C4 will just burn like a wad of oily rag unless it has a detonator attached.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2018, 19:14:25 »

Initial figure I heard for the army helping out were 30 people and 1 Chinook the idea being that they would help more with logistics of getting firefighters/equipment to the more hard to reach areas rather than actually being used to fight the fire.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2018, 19:42:37 »

Not necessarily.  C4 will just burn like a wad of oily rag unless it has a detonator attached.
Hmmm sweaty marzipan anyone?  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2018, 08:33:34 »

Movies have lied to me! :o :o ;)

I love marzipan. Not sure I fancy chewing on a brick of C4, though.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2018, 11:29:24 »

The moors along Winter Hill overlooking Bolton have also been ablaze for a couple of days. The latest Iv heard is its out but there a people on watch in-case it goes up again.... I had the smoke from there filling our area of Wigan and you could literally taste the smoke as well as smell it..
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2018, 12:18:38 »

Many years ago, large areas of moorland were deliberately burned, year on year, different areas every year,was called controlled burn, to encourage growth, and prevent fire,, then this practice was outlawed, due to "global warming,air quality" on the farm stubble was burned, prevented disease of the soil by bugs etc, obviously it's progress, to use more chemicals, and allow large moorlands to burn uncontrolled.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2018, 12:20:55 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2018, 10:52:00 »

Movies have lied to me! :o :o ;)

I love marzipan. Not sure I fancy chewing on a brick of C4, though.

C4 and semtex both look and smell like marzipan.  If you really like getting a cavity search then on you r next flight try taking some marzipan rolled up with a few wires sticking out of it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2018, 11:26:14 »

One of those mini mag lite torches in silver or black will raise an eyebrow at the x ray...

As will a metal pen... And some food has a similar density to C4 when x rayed ::)

Going to work can be such fun :D

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2018, 20:45:20 »

C4 and semtex both look and smell like marzipan.  If you really like getting a cavity search then on you r next flight try taking some marzipan rolled up with a few wires sticking out of it.

I've already had the extra special treatment in Ben Gurion airport when I (well, my laptop) tested positive for explosives .. you know, when they take the laptop away (so that the Israeli security forces can pwn it, I imagine) and leave you sitting in a special little area wondering if you'll ever manage to leave Israel!

Ah, fun times. Thankfully it was my corporate laptop, and if they don't care that the Israeli's have all our secrets, neither do I... ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2018, 20:47:37 »

Ah yes, no one does paranoid inconvenience quite like the Israelis...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2018, 21:17:08 »

I had a similar experience while flying from Stansted to Belfast about 10 years ago. They seemed convinced my phone had been in contact with explosives for some reason.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2018, 21:20:04 »

The police have swabs that can pick up traces of drugs from clothing, phones, etc. If you've been for a drink in any bar in Liverpool city centre, you will test positive for cocaine. It's on the tables, in the bog, on the bar........
Pretty much the same in any city centre I should think.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2018, 21:21:19 »

I had a similar experience while flying from Stansted to Belfast about 10 years ago. They seemed convinced my phone had been in contact with explosives for some reason.  :-\
We get randomly swabbed going into work... Flagged up as possible contact with explosives... Could only think that the leather steering wheel I bought to replace the manky plastic one on the A Class had come from a car that had been pranged and consequently was covered in traces from the airbag detonator  :-\

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 July 2018, 07:12:18 »

They were reporting that a spotter helicopter had been up in the area and they had seen groups of people trying to start more fires in the area .
Police were in the area searching for them hey already have one 22 year old man in custody on suspected attempted arson

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 03 July 2018, 08:07:02 »

Light the culprits on fire. That should learn' em.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 July 2018, 09:26:48 »

Lanolin, a component of many moisturisers, often triggers the explosive detection equipment.  Cabin crews are repeatedly warned about it but many forget.

So the question for Mr Aaron is; What was moisturiser doing near your laptop?  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 July 2018, 11:23:22 »

New job has warned of the perils of poppy seed bread showing up as opiates in their drug screening... :o

Presumably their are other factors of consideration such as turning up for work reliably and not stealing everything in sight to pay for a heroin habit :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 03 July 2018, 20:00:17 »

Lanolin, a component of many moisturisers, often triggers the explosive detection equipment.  Cabin crews are repeatedly warned about it but many forget.

So the question for Mr Aaron is; What was moisturiser doing near your laptop?  ::)

I swear that stain was there when I got the laptop.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2018, 16:22:18 »

I swear that stain was there when I got the laptop.
"Came" with the browser history, too, I suppose? ;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.