Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat - Exploding Fuel Tanks  (Read 2056 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Heat - Exploding Fuel Tanks
« on: 29 June 2018, 20:35:20 »

According to my daughter there is a whole discussion going on about the dangers of car fuel tanks exploding in the heat!

Now I told her, in effect, don't be so daft. How do you think people get on with their vehicles in far hotter climates than ours. Like I have known in Malta with temperatures going past 40c, and what about in other climes were the gauge can go up to, and stay at, 40-45c. I've never known any fuel tank to explode due to heat.

I told her it is the typical British stupidity; temp goes to 30c and everything becomes a major crises out of nothing, like a dusting of snow!  :o ::)

Has anyone else heard of this nonsense? ???

;D ;D
« Last Edit: 29 June 2018, 20:37:00 by Lizzie Zoom »

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Heat - Exploding Fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2018, 20:39:35 »

It's all over facebook and I've debunked the myth several times this week to the girls in work, they are still only filling half way though  ::)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2018, 20:42:56 »

;D ;D

What next? The government will be telling you to stay indoors, drink plenty of water. There will be a hosepipe ban next, mark my words.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2018, 20:44:46 »

It’s coming from a spoof FB account I think. Something like Indian Traffoc Police. TBF, a lot of their stuff is *just* believable enough to be really funny  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2018, 20:57:05 »

It's all over facebook and I've debunked the myth several times this week to the girls in work, they are still only filling half way though  ::)
Tell them only half filling a tank leaves the top half full of vapour, and that's the bit that explodes. They need to keep their tank full to the brim.
Then go round your local filling stations and claim your reward.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2018, 21:11:08 »

Yes, that's it, she said it was on Facebook, a pitiful site I will not visit! ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2018, 21:35:52 »

Tell her to leave the cap off the fuel tank as the evaporation will help to keep the fuel cooler. ::) ::) ::)

Changing the subject slightly: When I was a kid railway rails weren't very long and were bolted to expansion plates, hence the familiar click-click as the wheel went over each joint. Hot weather was hot weather I don't recall any speed restrictions due to the danger of bucked rails. Now with continuously welded rails and occasional sliced-sliding expansion joints it is now a major risk with daily speed restrictions during the hottest part of the day, such is progress. ???
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2018, 21:40:57 »

;D ;D

What next? The government will be telling you to stay indoors, drink plenty of water. There will be a hosepipe ban next, mark my words.

Already is, in county Fermanagh of all places. The wettest county in the UK.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2018, 21:56:39 »

Tell her to leave the cap off the fuel tank as the evaporation will help to keep the fuel cooler. ::) ::) ::)

Changing the subject slightly: When I was a kid railway rails weren't very long and were bolted to expansion plates, hence the familiar click-click as the wheel went over each joint. Hot weather was hot weather I don't recall any speed restrictions due to the danger of bucked rails. Now with continuously welded rails and occasional sliced-sliding expansion joints it is now a major risk with daily speed restrictions during the hottest part of the day, such is progress. ???

I saw that item. How on earth do they manage in countries which have huge temperature variations in a day?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2018, 22:05:44 »

;D ;D

When they stop pissing away 20% of water through leaks, I’ll consider turning the hose pipe off. Until then, I’ve got a house to sell so the lawn needs to be green  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2018, 08:20:00 »

No, as I said I just told her not to be so daft and then explained to her why it was. She has shut up about it now! ;D ;D ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 June 2018, 10:09:11 »

I saw that item. How on earth do they manage in countries which have huge temperature variations in a day?

They don't use welded rail, still using the old method of expansion joints,as shown to them by there colonial rulers many years ago..

Welded rail is used because it's cheaper, you don't need to have track walkers continually checking the tightness of the joints and associated bolts, Whoops it's not about cost it's all about safety.
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2018, 10:12:29 »

Most fuel tanks are made from thick plastic these days, and are located in a position where they don't get any direct sunlight, so air temperature would need to be extremely high before they are affected.
As mentioned, only filling the tank half full is the worst thing you could do if this was going to be a problem, as its the vapour in the empty half of the tank which will go BOOM!
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2018, 16:52:48 »

I should scan the picture from the most recent Cobra Club magazine.. at the recent european meet one of the Daytona owners had fuel pouring out of the vent pipe when the steel fuel tank got hot enough for it's contents to expand significantly.. ;D whoops!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2018, 20:34:06 »

I should scan the picture from the most recent Cobra Club magazine.. at the recent european meet one of the Daytona owners had fuel pouring out of the vent pipe when the steel fuel tank got hot enough for it's contents to expand significantly.. ;D whoops!

Yep, first lesson of Kit car ownership. If you're going to brim the tank when it's hot, do it at the start of a journey, not at the end. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.