Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Day At The Auctions  (Read 5810 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
A Day At The Auctions
« on: 17 September 2018, 15:52:54 »

I went to BCA today to buy a 'bargain' 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS in silver. It was advertised as Grade 1, had about 63,000 miles and 7 service stamps in the book.  :y  When I got there it was indeed immaculate, inside, out and underneath and when they started it up it sounded as sweet as a nut! It had clearly been well looked after. :y

Average dealer price on ebay for comparables was £12950, and as the only thing that I could see it possibly needed was a cambelt (£800-900) I decided to bid up to £11500.  The bidding quickly passed that and finished at £12500, so with auction fees it probably cost the buyer £12900ish!  ::)  With the possibility of the cost of a cambelt on top!  ;D

Ho hum!  :-\  ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: A Day At The Auctions
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2018, 16:01:36 »

They don't appear to be great value these auctions, at least outside the banger budgets.

I remember talking to that dodgy car dealer of Oxford, about BCA auctions. At the time I was on the hunt for my VW CC, having zero'd in one spec/budget I wanted.

I bought mine from CarGiant in the end, the price I paid for age, spec, miles, condition was lower than he had seen identical age/spec's go through BCA that week.  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2018, 17:49:09 »

They don't appear to be great value these auctions, at least outside the banger budgets.

I remember talking to that dodgy car dealer of Oxford, about BCA auctions. At the time I was on the hunt for my VW CC, having zero'd in one spec/budget I wanted.

I bought mine from CarGiant in the end, the price I paid for age, spec, miles, condition was lower than he had seen identical age/spec's go through BCA that week.  :-\

True......especially when the buyers premium is added.

People fall into the trap of thinking that 'whatever' they pay it has to be cheaper because it is an auction. Often not true.

The same with house auctions.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2018, 17:54:28 »

And egay.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2018, 18:13:06 »

There was a bit of a 'bidding war' over a nice but nothing special, 3 or 4 year old Ford S-Max, which went for well over forecourt price!  :o  ::)  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2018, 18:17:08 »

There was a bit of a 'bidding war' over a nice but nothing special, 3 or 4 year old Ford S-Max, which went for well over forecourt price!  :o  ::)  ;D

Frenzy. People loose all reason and end up paying too much.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2018, 18:17:24 »

It's all a bit weird. When we traded wifey's captur against the astra, Evans Halshaw gave us almost as much in trade-in as they were retailing for. And the astra was about £500 under what Parkers said it should be. I'm not complaining, but it's hard to fathom.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2018, 18:18:40 »

It's all a bit weird. When we traded wifey's captur against the astra, Evans Halshaw gave us almost as much in trade-in as they were retailing for. And the astra was about £500 under what Parkers said it should be. I'm not complaining, but it's hard to fathom.

It's because you are a very likeable young chap. ::)

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2018, 18:19:28 »

There is that, I suppose.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2018, 19:42:41 »

There is that, I suppose.

You are far too modest. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2018, 19:44:43 »

I went to BCA today to buy a 'bargain' 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS in silver. It was advertised as Grade 1, had about 63,000 miles and 7 service stamps in the book.  :y  When I got there it was indeed immaculate, inside, out and underneath and when they started it up it sounded as sweet as a nut! It had clearly been well looked after. :y

Average dealer price on ebay for comparables was £12950, and as the only thing that I could see it possibly needed was a cambelt (£800-900) I decided to bid up to £11500.  The bidding quickly passed that and finished at £12500, so with auction fees it probably cost the buyer £12900ish! ::)  With the possibility of the cost of a cambelt on top!  ;D

Ho hum!  :-\  ::)

For a nine year old poorly built unreliable farmyard vehicle. Crazy money. :-X

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2018, 20:38:15 »

The vendor was WBAC.com (owned by BCA) who probably paid half that for it.  ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2018, 23:31:34 »

The vendor was WBAC.com (owned by BCA) who probably paid half that for it.  ::)

Just out of interest I put the details of a comparable Disco 4 into WBAC.com to see what they offered.  ::)

Drum roll.................  £6785!  I was half joking when I said above that they paid half for it.  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2018, 00:23:35 »

The vendor was WBAC.com (owned by BCA) who probably paid a tenth of that for it.  ::)
Theiving vermin bastids.

They offered me £50 for my MoT failure Omega. Scrapped it with a firm in Preston for £183 collected.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2018, 01:27:05 »

It's a good business model though and shows to some extent why the CE of BCA is in line for a(n obscene) £23m bonus this year.   ::)  ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2018, 08:25:24 »

Newsflash: This just in! Business out to make money!

:P ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2018, 09:37:47 »

Theiving vermin bastids.

They offered me £50 for my MoT failure Omega. Scrapped it with a firm in Preston for £183 collected.

Its just a(nother) tax on the lazy and the breakless.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2018, 09:45:25 »

At the couple of auctions I've been to, the only potential bargains have been in the highest risk, completely undocumented / unknown history / condition category.

One made me laugh. Complete shed of a Renault 5, blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust with about 2 weeks MOT.

" Come on, lads, this is cheaper than a taxi home!" ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2018, 10:11:26 »

FWIW, WBAC offered me £17k on the Skoda.

It failed to sell at £18.5k, privately, earlier this year.

That doesn't seem like an awful deal, really.. they just aren't interested in cars only fit for the crusher ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2018, 11:01:33 »

That doesn't seem like an awful deal, really.. they just aren't interested in cars only fit for the crusher ;)

Evans Halshaw matched WBAC for my VW when I traded it, as you say they just don't do bargin bangers.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2018, 11:19:18 »

Evans Halshaw matched WBAC for my VW when I traded it, as you say they just don't do bargin bangers.

No there's no profit in them.

Take Dr G's £50 scrapper Omega.  They'd have to transport it to the nearest auction centre and then have all the costs of storage and putting through auction to get what? £200 max?  ???

The money is obviously in nice motors like the Disco I was after and I have seen some very nice cars go through BCA that have come from WBAC.com.  :)

I think I'll start up www.webuyanycarforabitmore.com  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 September 2018, 11:25:00 »

£17000 for a derv Skoda?............has the world gone mad? :)

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2018, 11:31:10 »

That's exactly what happened with the captur. I told EH what WBAC  had offered, he went away and, when he came back, said ok, we'll match it.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2018, 11:46:43 »

That's exactly what happened with the captur. I told EH what WBAC  had offered, he went away and, when he came back, said ok, we'll match it.

Given the very low prices WBAC offer, shouldn't you have wanted more for a P/X rather than just letting them match it?  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2018, 11:57:26 »

Given the very low prices WBAC offer, shouldn't you have wanted more for a P/X rather than just letting them match it?  :-\

From my experience WBAC offered a quite reasonable price, not far off retail. Maybe could have squeezed £500 more on trader, but given the hassle, not really worth it.

I actually used we buy any bike to sell my old BMW GS, not that they are linked. They offered near retail for it, mind you, the chap did read the wrong number on the sheet apparently and transferred me more than original email offer.  :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 September 2018, 12:27:27 »

From my experience WBAC offered a quite reasonable price, not far off retail. Maybe could have squeezed £500 more on trader, but given the hassle, not really worth it.

I actually used we buy any bike to sell my old BMW GS, not that they are linked. They offered near retail for it, mind you, the chap did read the wrong number on the sheet apparently and transferred me more than original email offer.  :D

Which of course you returned. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2018, 12:42:37 »

Someone bought it new...  So yes, madness :D ::)

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2018, 12:44:18 »

WBAC prices, more or less, match the trade in price given on Parkers.

The figures:
Renault captur 1.5dci nav. List price ~£17500. We got ours pre reg, 2 months old, 7 miles on the clock for ~£12250.
Two years on, captur now done 18,000 miles, we got £8500 against the astra.
Vauxhall astra 1.6 cdti auto. List price ~£18000. 12 months old, 9000 miles, we got it for £10,120.

So, we gave EH our captur and £1620 for the astra which, as I explained at the time, we needed because the wife was having trouble with her left leg and needed an auto.

We were very happy with the prices paid for both cars and the trade in we got, and that's what matters.
Cue the maths teachers.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2018, 12:55:14 »

Which of course you returned. :)

Errrrr.  ::)  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2018, 13:40:57 »

The figures:
Renault captur 1.5dci nav. List price ~£17500. We got ours pre reg, 2 months old, 7 miles on the clock for ~£12250.
Vauxhall astra 1.6 cdti auto. List price ~£18000. 12 months old, 9000 miles, we got it for £10,120.

So, we gave EH our captur and £1620 for the astra which, as I explained at the time, we needed because the wife was having trouble with her left leg and needed an auto.

We were very happy with the prices paid for both cars and the trade in we got, and that's what matters.
Cue the maths teachers.

This is of course what matters and I'm not having a go Uncle STEMO.  :-*

I'm just surprised and am now wondering if WBAC has become the benchmark for trade prices.  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 September 2018, 13:56:00 »

The figures:

Cue the maths teachers.

:-*

I'm just surprised and am now wondering if WBAC has become the benchmark for trade prices.  :-\

Only one kiss. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 September 2018, 14:14:35 »

The figures:

Cue the maths teachers.

:-*

Only one kiss. :)

I didn't want to make you jealous.  :-*

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 18 September 2018, 15:08:27 »

The figures:

Cue the maths teachers.

This is of course what matters and I'm not having a go Uncle STEMO.  :-*

You're not the type to have a go, Tigger, I know that. It's that Lincolnsausageshire fella who keeps picking on me, in between making funny models with his carrots and turnips.  ;D
« Last Edit: 18 September 2018, 15:10:43 by STEMO »

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 18 September 2018, 15:09:56 »

That would be me, the breakless retard ;D

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 18 September 2018, 15:11:23 »

That would be me, the breakless retard ;D
Wuckfit!  ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #35 on: 18 September 2018, 16:13:37 »

Bought a few cars from auctions in the past best was a Sierra estate paid around £1800 for it was written off by a tractor about 10 days after buying it and got £2500 from the insurers, always bought cars with low owners & full history never had a bad one.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 September 2018, 16:59:57 »

;D having worked in the auctions for 4 years, had loads of big bargains!
usually paid half retail, ran them a year or 2, then sold on for more than i paid!
having said that, I am conversant with most tricks the auctioneers use,

its pretty difficult when your lusting after a particular/model spec, etc to see the bids bounciung off the walls and the auction houses own bidders,but once you know, its easy to say no thanks,often the bidding stops then! the auctioneers then have a conflab of its close to reserve and offer it to you at you last bid,
which of course was the rough price you had determined having given the vehicle a good going over in the run up,to be the right price, you would pay for the car,

if a dealer waants a particular model and has none on the forecourt which he knows he will shift easily they will often bid over trade price just to keep thier stock moving around,if a large dealer,car supermarket etc, has a car sat for moe than 6 weeks its often shipped to another dealer, then sent to auction if it still dont sell, its all about keeping the forecourt looking as if its busy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 September 2018, 18:06:50 »

The vendor was WBAC.com (owned by BCA) who probably paid a tenth of that for it.  ::)
Theiving vermin bastids.
They have a place in life for people too lazy or idle to move stuff on themselves.

In a former life, I used to linger around the pawn shops in Bletchley (its that sort of place) just after Christmas and snap up all the brand new games consoles that people had got for xmas, but were trading in for next to nothing in order to get their next fix.  I'd keep them for a few weeks until there were not many around, then sell them for far more than I paid for them - things like Wii's, Xbox360s, gayStation 3s I was buying for sub £30, and selling for 3 times that.

Sometimes I used to think some poor granny had saved her pension for that for an ungrateful grandchild, who had likely exchanged for a quick shot.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 September 2018, 18:56:31 »

;D having worked in the auctions for 4 years, had loads of big bargains!
usually paid half retail, ran them a year or 2, then sold on for more than i paid!
having said that, I am conversant with most tricks the auctioneers use,

its pretty difficult when your lusting after a particular/model spec, etc to see the bids bounciung off the walls and the auction houses own bidders, but once you know, its easy to say no thanks,often the bidding stops then! the auctioneers then have a conflab of its close to reserve and offer it to you at you last bid, which of course was the rough price you had determined having given the vehicle a good going over in the run up,to be the right price, you would pay for the car,

if a dealer waants a particular model and has none on the forecourt which he knows he will shift easily they will often bid over trade price just to keep thier stock moving around,if a large dealer,car supermarket etc, has a car sat for moe than 6 weeks its often shipped to another dealer, then sent to auction if it still dont sell, its all about keeping the forecourt looking as if its busy

I've often wondered how kosher the internet bids are.  :-X  ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 September 2018, 19:51:38 »

I often speak to people obsessed with there trade in allowance ,end of the day the only bit that matters is what you have to pay, it matters not whether its added to the trade in or reduced from the purchase price :y

Ps. I think uncle Stemo did ok on that deal :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 September 2018, 20:02:56 »

Many years ago I was running a 2.5 auto Senator A2 and had an earlier Senator A on the drive so decided to get rid of the A2 and buy something smaller/more economical for general running about purposes.Went to Bawtry auctions [nearest auction house] and at the end of the night I'd bought a 3L Senator B auto :D :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 September 2018, 20:28:38 »

Many years ago I was running a 2.5 auto Senator A2 and had an earlier Senator A on the drive so decided to get rid of the A2 and buy something smaller/more economical for general running about purposes.Went to Bawtry auctions [nearest auction house] and at the end of the night I'd bought a 3L Senator B auto :D :D

You know it made sense .....  :y :y :y :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 September 2018, 22:42:13 »

I often speak to people obsessed with there trade in allowance ,end of the day the only bit that matters is what you have to pay, it matters not whether its added to the trade in or reduced from the purchase price :y

Ps. I think uncle Stemo did ok on that deal :y
AKA the cost to change ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.