Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 02 Focus 1.6 Zetec bad idle  (Read 1053 times)

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
02 Focus 1.6 Zetec bad idle
« on: 06 July 2009, 15:36:24 »

I posted this on a Focus forum some time back but because it did not involve a bass-box I didn't get anywhere!  :D

About 12 months ago I had to replace 32 valves and a piston after the cambelt tensioner gave out.  I had to get a qualified (mate) mechanic to set the camshaft timing as I couldn't get the crankshaft nut off.

It runs fairly well but idles pretty poorly and can stall if run to a stop quickly.  Also when stationary, it will not run at 2300 - 3000rpm.  OBDII shows smooth throttle position change through that range, but it hunts and then shoots up as I progressively press the throttle.  I was advised that it might need the wheels turning ( :)) and, indeed, when I coast along and squeeze the throttle, I can get 2500rpm steady!
I tried changing the coil-pack and had to put the old one back after the replacement (no change) failed.
Any ideas?  The MOT likes emissions tested at 2750rpm or somesuch - there is a workaround for that but it's a bit of a pain.
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: 02 Focus 1.6 Zetec bad idle
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2009, 17:30:07 »

I posted this on a Focus forum some time back but because it did not involve a bass-box I didn't get anywhere!  :D

About 12 months ago I had to replace 32 valves and a piston after the cambelt tensioner gave out.  I had to get a qualified (mate) mechanic to set the camshaft timing as I couldn't get the crankshaft nut off.

It runs fairly well but idles pretty poorly and can stall if run to a stop quickly.  Also when stationary, it will not run at 2300 - 3000rpm.  OBDII shows smooth throttle position change through that range, but it hunts and then shoots up as I progressively press the throttle.  I was advised that it might need the wheels turning ( :)) and, indeed, when I coast along and squeeze the throttle, I can get 2500rpm steady!
I tried changing the coil-pack and had to put the old one back after the replacement (no change) failed.
Any ideas?  The MOT likes emissions tested at 2750rpm or somesuch - there is a workaround for that but it's a bit of a pain.

eh how many ? :o

possible air leak ?? :y

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
Re: 02 Focus 1.6 Zetec bad idle
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2009, 17:47:19 »

eh how many ?
The Motor Spares shop sold me a set 2mm too short first time!  Unfortunately you tend to lap them in before you shim them up to the camshaft.

No sound of air leaks but might try the carb-cleaner trick.
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.