Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A bad bad day Volume 2  (Read 4844 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
A bad bad day Volume 2
« on: 26 August 2006, 19:15:19 »

Started work in the garage at 8am, had my engine hoist coming via courier so wanted to make some space.

Still had to pop driveshafts after removing discs to then easily ( ha ha ha ) hoist the engine and box out my wee rover.

Discs wont come off - tried and tried nope stuck.

Okay well i will remove the track rod ends unbolt suspension blah blah blah and do it the hard way.

Nope....nothing and i do mean nothing will budge.

So no budge ( over a 7 hour period) no driveshafts popped. No drive shafts popped no engine removeal.

No engine removal stops my omega project getting started!

I have now used nearly a tin of freeze and release, a tin of penetrating fluid, snapped a ball joint seperator, snapped 3 ( albeit cheap) sockets, gouged my finger quite deeply, bruised and cut the back of my hand and scratched the underside of my arm off the inner wing - i should add three seperate accidents!!!!

Given up and come inside to ponder my next move - just briefly i saw in my minds eye tmy hammer going through its front screen  >:(

So how the **** do i release these bolts - i have to say i am pretty good at this stuff - and also my father who is an excellent diy mechanic has  never seen anything like it"

Time for compressor and air tools or time to just cut through the blasted driveshafts!!!

Anyone have a nice day today!?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: A bad bad day Volume 2
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2006, 19:22:30 »

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I went to B&Q to find a decent socket set, was there one? No all cheap rubbish or seriously expensive stuff!  >:(

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2006, 19:45:44 »

Doesn't sound good mate  :-/

Ball joints are complete ******* at the best of times! Not sure what to suggest.....But bloody good luck with it  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2006, 19:45:48 »

Not tried some heat?

Edit.  Sorry to hear about the injuries.  

Beer time.  ;)
« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 19:47:02 by Hillper »
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2006, 19:49:56 »

Not tried some heat?

Edit.  Sorry to hear about the injuries.  

Beer time.  ;)

sounds like blowtorch time alright its what the trade would use. i sometimes use a trolly jack to apply pressure on the spanner or socket never use with a ratchet get a drive bar without ratchet. sorry to hear bout your bad day
« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 19:51:02 by mr_des »
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2006, 19:51:20 »

I'd have to say the same as Hillper, get some heat on it? - Take it you got the sware box out?  ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2006, 19:56:49 »

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I went to B&Q to find a decent socket set, was there one? No all cheap rubbish or seriously expensive stuff!  >:(

B&Q  ;D What were you after? A barbecue?  ;D

Try Halfrauds m8  ;) If you dont have a trade card.....Jaime I think does....or if not...let me know and I'll post you mine to borrow.....20% off with trade card on tools  ;)

I'd go for there own professional range.....its not bad  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2006, 20:02:36 »

Cool, cheers for that m8 might take you up on that offer  :)

Think i'll pop down one and see what they have! - Although I might wait until i have secured a Project C before i get one!

So if ya see a HG fail thats more likley and Oil Cooler, let me know!  :)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2006, 20:06:12 »

thanks guys  ;D

I have taken up your advice and have a nice ice cold fosters sitting next to me.

The bad news is i only have one. The good news is its onto stella after that  :D

Hav a blow torch and tickled it today late on ...... gonna blast the sod tomorrow!!

anyone know what would happen if i burn it for ages than apply freeze and release - which freezes to `72  :o :o
« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 20:06:37 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2006, 20:07:36 »

Hav a blow torch and tickled it today late on ...... gonna blast the sod tomorrow!!

anyone know what would happen if i burn it for ages than apply freeze and release - which freezes to `72  :o :o

better off with a blowtorch followed by a hefty hammer
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2006, 20:14:21 »

thanks guys  ;D

I have taken up your advice and have a nice ice cold fosters sitting next to me.

The bad news is i only have one. The good news is its onto stella after that  :D

All the Omega particles stop spinning and you cause a rift in the space time continuum, leading to the total destruction of the Universe.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2006, 20:16:43 »

So if ya see a HG fail thats more likley and Oil Cooler, let me know!  :)

;D I wouldnt know the difference, I'm not an expert yet  ;D

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2006, 20:17:24 »

thanks guys  ;D

All the Omega particles stop spinning and you cause a rift in the space time continuum, leading to the total destruction of the Universe.

aw is that all - as long as it doesnt hurt  ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2006, 20:19:48 »

thanks guys  ;D

Ohhh that sound doesnt good  :o Im off down the pub now....so as long as it doesnt happen b4 closing time...im not bothered  ;D
« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 20:21:42 by Taxi_Driver »

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2006, 20:28:46 »

I found that if you get three rear headrests from an Omega and burn them in a fit of rage, after looking for them for 18 months, it doesn't help at all.

Also, if you slam a drawer with your alkready injured finger in, it only makes it worse.

So, I would avoid both of those if I were you.

Hope this Helps! ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 August 2006, 21:03:37 »

My day started bad, but improved. My coolant now appears fairly clear :)
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 August 2006, 21:13:27 »

;D ;D ;D at Ronnie

Not a chance of those headrests EVER getting out of the car now mate!!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 August 2006, 21:24:29 »

On stubborn bits and pieces, I have used a combination of heat and freeze - heat from either oxy acetylene or a butane plumbers torch, coupled with a good blast with the freeze spray used for freezing central heating pipes while you fix a non-valved part.  The mix of heat and cold can uncement a joint, if you watch what you are upto.

Have also used a buckshee CO2 extinguisher, in lieu of the freeze spray!!  More spectacular, for sure, but end effect was a good 'un!!

What about a chisel and a heavy hand hammer to split the nut, if thats what you are stuck on?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 August 2006, 21:31:59 »

I guess anything is worth a try - never had any sucess with the old chisel method, or for that matter the "hammer a smaller sized socket on"

Whats concerning me is that its BOTH sides and theres 3 on either side prohibiting me so its not just a lone stubborn nut....

Ive actually dropped the front axle and got those bolts out without breaking sweat!!

At the end of the day i only care about the engine so if i need to go angle grinding, I will..... ;D
« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 21:32:43 by Markiec »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 August 2006, 21:42:38 »

Give them a good soak overnight in pentrating oil. See what happens tomorrow...
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2006, 21:44:13 »

im on it Jamie, along with beer number 4  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2006, 21:45:31 »

Aye, the Stella is flowing down my neck tonight as well :D
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2006, 22:05:57 »

Cant be beaten...was toying with opening a bottle of Red but wife has banned me from having this in our new Lounge  >:(

Oh well stella it is ... wine is in the garage now in case tomorrow is a bad day.... ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2006, 22:08:09 »

tomorrow will be a better day... :)
Grumpy old man

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #24 on: 26 August 2006, 22:24:33 »

You could try recruiting a new member from lane 3 of a motorway. Oh, sorry. That's been done..... ;D

Seriously Mark, I know what you are going through and it winds me up when it just won't undo. But, if it is a nut, use one of those 'grip' type sockets that dig in deeper and deeper the more you turn. Use a good 1/2 breaker bar and a scaffold pole on the end. It WILL bloody shift then.

Just a thought, but I found that the last time I tried to take an engine out of the car I couldn't undo anything, so I took the car off the engine instead! :o :-[ [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Gawd, this beer is good!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 August 2006, 22:33:01 »

Heh He i think your lane 3 escapades will only be beaten by recruiting whilst flying......now theres a thought.... :o

The beer is smashing tonight......the bolts - are gonna get smashed.....er tomorrow...or the next day....was toying with going out to try again...but thats just silly!  ;)
« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 22:33:40 by Markiec »

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 August 2006, 00:23:08 »

Glad the beer worked guys!

See how much better it all seems now?

I just wish I wasn't at work right now.   >:(

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 August 2006, 10:38:35 »

The beer is smashing tonight......the bolts - are gonna get smashed.....er tomorrow...or the next day....was toying with going out to try again...but thats just silly!  ;)

Yeah, best not to Mark! I'm testament to beer and tinkering not going well together after I nearly destroyed myself and a MKIII Cortina all at once years ago.

Any stuck nut I've ever come across has always responded well to the application of a huge ammount of heat followed by a massive ammount of torque. It's so satisfying hearing the twang of the little b*stard finally giving up!!

Remember not to pick the thing up off the floor afterward with the intent of throwing it in victory/anger!! I'm testament to that not being a particulalry good idea too!!  ::)
If I have to explain you won't understand!

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2006, 11:07:49 »

Yes.. Mmmmm. The heat transfer problem......

I distinctly remember last month doing the wishbones and droplinks. Heat was required on the top droplink nuts and then they did indeed undo. I then grabbed the nut to put back on the now removed droplink (A. I have no idea why, and B. Not a good idea!). Having burned myself to the point of cursing loudly, I then took my anger out on the socket - which had become about 8,000,000,000 degrees too. Oh joy!!!! Double burns!!!! In real anger I grabbed the blowlamp to sling it down the road. Note here guys, two things: Firstly, turn the blowlamp off first as it is slightly warm when still on. Secondly, don't try to pick it up a second time because you dropped it (being so hot) and the flame is now burning your leg.

Oh yes, the benefit of heat and stuck nuts.  >:(
« Last Edit: 27 August 2006, 11:08:17 by RonaldMcBurger »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 August 2006, 15:14:26 »

Right

My nuts are still stuck despite penetrating fluid being applied overnight  :o

So due to the various cuts and bruises and general frame of mind i am leaving this a few days untill my apprentice comes down from the Scottish Islands ( my dad is due on Wednesday)

To put it into perspective in half the time i have spent on thes nuts ( about 4 hours today) i have

Removed complete wiring loom - absolutley everything from dashboard, engine - stereo - everything.

Removed complete front and rear axle

Removed complete bul of dashboard

Disconnected clutch and gearbox connectors to engine

Without a hitch!!

Roll on wednesday
« Last Edit: 27 August 2006, 15:15:06 by Markiec »

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 August 2006, 16:19:21 »

Have you tried a nut splitter on it?
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #31 on: 27 August 2006, 18:48:46 »

Cant be beaten...was toying with opening a bottle of Red but wife has banned me from having this in our new Lounge  >:(

Oh well stella it is ... wine is in the garage now in case tomorrow is a bad day.... ;)

Pour red wine into stella tinnie.....obviously after you have drank the contents first.....wife will never know  ;)
« Last Edit: 27 August 2006, 18:53:52 by Taxi_Driver »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 August 2006, 10:32:21 »

Pour red wine into stella tinnie.....obviously after you have drank the contents first.....wife will never know  ;)

;D ;D
sounds like a plan - problem is i am working - on an apparent bank holiday  :(
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.