Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What sort of miles are 3.0 good for?  (Read 1892 times)

Arrolman

• Intermediate Member
  • Renfrew,Scotland
    • View Profile
What sort of miles are 3.0 good for?
« on: 04 August 2009, 17:41:09 »

Hi,

Looking at a 3.0 MV6 with over 130,000 on the clock, ex police. So is this high miles for this unit? I have landrovers with over 150,000 on them so the miles don't bother me, just want to know if there is a common fail of any componants at these sort of miles? Will prob need cambelt doing but thats about it

Cheers,
Iain
Looking to win the lottery..........

Brick Tamland

• Intermediate Member
  • Dublin
  • Good one!
    • '98 2.5 Manual
    • View Profile
Re: What sort of miles are 3.0 good for?
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2009, 17:49:16 »

Omega v6's are good for 200000+.

Usual things when looking at a used car. Plus Heater bypass valve,Coil pack,Crank sensor are things too look out for, cambelt change should be due at 140k so check if it was done recently. Omega's are prone to rust over rear wheel arches.

No doubt someonne else will be along in a minute to point out a couple of other little things ::)
Saving for one! All donations welcome, ask for details.

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2009, 17:56:07 »

Usual things when looking at a used car. Plus Heater bypass valve,Coil pack,Crank sensor are things too look out for, cambelt change should be due at 140k so check if it was done recently. Omega's are prone to rust over rear wheel arches.

No doubt someonne else will be along in a minute to point out a couple of other little things ::)

160k mate every 40,000 miles or every 4 years wich ever comes first. it also depends on how good you look after your car ie service an so on. but 130k is no probs mate.
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

Brick Tamland

• Intermediate Member
  • Dublin
  • Good one!
    • '98 2.5 Manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2009, 18:01:41 »

160k mate every 40,000 miles or every 4 years wich ever comes first. it also depends on how good you look after your car ie service an so on. but 130k is no probs mate.

Ooops :-[ :-[ :-[ And I'm studying accounting :-[
Saving for one! All donations welcome, ask for details.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2009, 18:21:27 »

130k aint massive for the omega, a mondeo will be dead and buried 20k ago ime. Not a fair comparison really, but there you go.
Check dash lights all light up and go out again, pull a plug lead for oil in plug wells and make sure, if its auto that the changes are smooth with no flair slipping, thumps on gear selection can usually be sorted with an atf and filter change. Second hand boxs are usually fairly cheap anyway.

The rest is general appearance, but you may well have the usual wishbones, cat back exhaust to deal with. No biggies really. Hth

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2009, 18:37:52 »

Ooops :-[ :-[ :-[ And I'm studying accounting :-[

We will let you off  ;D ;D This time [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]Lol
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2009, 20:37:03 »

i have driven a 155k miles 3.0 MV6, which has been driven like its been stolen most of its life  ::)

Still sweet as a nut  :y

Body work will fail, before the engine.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2009, 21:15:04 »

i have driven a 155k miles 3.0 MV6, which has been driven like its been stolen most of its life  ::)

If thats the one I think you're talking about, who knows how it was driven in the first 88k of its life...  ...admittedly the current owner has thoroughly 'excercised' it over the last 69k ::)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2009, 21:48:17 »

If thats the one I think you're talking about, who knows how it was driven in the first 88k of its life...  ...admittedly the current owner has thoroughly 'excercised' it over the last 69k ::)

Bloody Hoooligan. But goes to show, with proper servicing, will do silly miles. Just trying to think of a bottom end failure on here? Or a top end issue that was not caused by poor or non existant servicing..... Anyone? ....only thing i can think of was a cam cap bolt came loose. But then my memory is crap....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2009, 21:56:51 »

Bloody Hoooligan. But goes to show, with proper servicing, will do silly miles. Just trying to think of a bottom end failure on here? Or a top end issue that was not caused by poor or non existant servicing..... Anyone? ....only thing i can think of was a cam cap bolt came loose. But then my memory is crap....

<cough!> JamesHoleInBlockMV6  ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2009, 22:20:22 »

I wake up in the night, thinking of the noises that V6 made, when it let go at 7,000 rpm  :'(  ;D  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2009, 02:04:43 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D oh yeah....that bottom end failure ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2009, 16:55:33 »

Said current owner is also relishing in the fact that there is now tread on the tyres, so further 'exercising' of the 3000 cc's can be achieved.  And without vibration from less than perfect wheels :D
Grumpy old man

Arrolman

• Intermediate Member
  • Renfrew,Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2009, 17:55:07 »

Hi,

Sounds good, will be my work hack, Discovery is getting used for landscape work/winter. Whats the difference between the 3.0 and 3.2 power wise then? Take it theres not much between them (just out of interest)

cheers,
Iain
Looking to win the lottery..........

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2009, 18:02:19 »

3.0 and 3.2 pretty similar power wise...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.