Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jacking up an Omega  (Read 2843 times)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Jacking up an Omega
« on: 13 July 2006, 22:51:56 »

As I intend to do some work myself (first task the autobox fluid) I would like to jack the car up (obviously).  I have a trolley jack at present which cost some £80 about 8 years ago.  It is labelled "professional" and you lower the vehicle by turning the jack handle not removing it and turning a small screw on the cheap units.  This is begining to fail (the rear wheels have lost some of their bearings through constant wheeling along the road outside my house) and needs replacing.

I would like to get a jack which is instant lift i.e. the head makes immediate contact with the jacking point and would like one with a rubber pad on the head in order to prevent damage.  Does anyone know where such a jack can be purchased?  I am sure that machine mart used to do them, but not accoring to their latest catalogue.  As it will get a lot of use on the transits that I own / look after cost is not too much of an issue - anything up to about £100 - £130.

Does anyone have any recomendations about how to jack the car up and where to site the axle stands.  It seems rather precarious to jack each corner up at a time in the case of an auto fluid change.  Has anyone carried this out and how did you jack and support the car?

Sorry for the amount of questions in one post and it's length.

Thanks
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

RonaldMcBurger

Re: Jacking up an Omega
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2006, 22:57:46 »

Firstly, the jack you seek is available at www.machinemart.co.uk

Now jacking. Jack under the car, ner the front doors on the chassis rail. Jack about 18" from the front end of the rail and you will have ample room to place a decent stand under the rail, at leats 4" from the front end of it. This will give a very stable platform and is exactly where we jack and stand for changing the auto gearboxes.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2006, 22:58:15 »

I know a guy who imports racing jacks - quick action (around 3 pumps and they're up fully), twist handle to lower, lower start height (easily get under cars with punctures.

Not sure how much they are, I buggered, if I can remember his website address (maybe when I've sobered up a bit).

I'll get some details tomorrow.  I knows he's in Bicester, OXON.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2006, 08:27:20 »

I also rate the machine mart jacks to....plus they do VAT free days every few months.

I will put a tech guide on jacking points next week with pics....think it might be useful.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2006, 10:27:18 »

Hi all

Thanks for the speedy replies :)

I have the latest machine mart catalogue and whilst the range of jacks is good, actually very good, they do not appear to have saddles with rubber pads which I would like to use as the thought of a metal head on the chassis rail does not appeal.  Failing that, I suppose I could use a piece of stout timber but I believe in using the correct tool for the job..............

Thanks again

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2006, 10:45:28 »

I found that site - http://www.alleyjax.co.uk - guys name is Mike. I would call him to see it it does have rubber on it (I can't remember).
Grumpy old man

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2006, 12:07:08 »

Will take a look at alleyjax.co.uk.

Marks DTM - a tech guide with pics is a great idea - I look forward to seeing it posted! ;)

Thanks again for the help

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2006, 12:56:27 »

Not sure how others jack there car up and I maybe doing it wrong each time, but I usually jack my car up raising the jack and the circle platform goes in the ridges, once to the right height I put an axle stand under the car chassis rail seems to hold fine.

Just thought I would post up to see if anyone does the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.