Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Con....A thought?  (Read 2044 times)

Taxi_Driver

Air Con....A thought?
« on: 26 July 2006, 18:43:26 »

We seem to have come to the conclusion that the air con on facelifts aint that very good.
While driving about today......and fiddling with the climate tying to get it to go colder today.....i had a thought.

I been told the prefacelifts v6's have 3 cooling fans....is this also the case on the v6 facelifts?
My 2.2 has only the 2 fans.....is the extra fan on the prefacelifts (facelifts?) v6's for engine cooling or for the aircon?

My thought was if the extra fan was for the aircon......if i added the other fan....as it must be fairly easy to add.....would this help the aircon?.....On the 2.2's the fan for the  aircon is offset to one side so only cools 1/2 the condensor.....now 2 fans might do the trick.

Mad idea or not? What do peeps reckon?

Cheers

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
Re: Air Con....A thought?
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2006, 18:55:09 »

my facelift V6 has two air con fans and one rad fan, ive got to admit it's still not the best in the world, although i am happy with it most of the time

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2006, 19:04:56 »

My facelift aircon is great.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2006, 19:43:04 »

So the extra fan IS for aircon then??? and not engine cooling

Maybe its just the 4 pots that the aircon aint upto much....tho i have noticed....mine has been a bit better since i added a new charcoal pollen filter ( i took it out about a month ago to see if it made any difference....it didnt)....which sounds daft as i carnt see how that can improve it.

Tho Jay says his aint brilliant on his V6.....

Mark...do you reckon its a viable thing to do....add the other fan....i carnt see it would be difficult.....but then again....is the 2 fan setup for the aircon a compete unit....ie i would have to take out the orig aircon fan and replace it with a double one.....or is it just a matter of an extra fan and plugging it in somewhere?

Cheers

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2006, 19:48:48 »

i say mine isn't brilliant, i have been spoilt in the past with the aircon in a 300C, it was like sitting in an ice box within a few mins.

Mine may be overdue a purge and regas, something that i have on the cards for when the summer is over....prices will then go down

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2006, 20:05:45 »

Ooooooh. Was that a Nissan 300c? Or am I on the wrong side of 40?

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2006, 20:24:54 »

no mate the chrysler.....the one that looks like a pimp wagon

nice car, was a bit like a grown up Omega, loads of toys and immense amount of presence on the road, only downside was people kept aksing if it was a bently....

I remember the Nissan 300C what a car, like an 80's version of a cheap exec car
« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 20:25:15 by jay_w »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2006, 20:59:29 »

same here, if i leave it on auto it gets to cold!!! in this weather set at 20, after 10/15 mins i have to maually overide the auto and reduce the fan speed to 1 bar.

Was 31 degrees on the motorway today, climate set at 20 and lowest fan speed setting, and i was nice and chilly. Car was semi full, me, mum and the panting dog. She stopped panting 10 mins into the journey and went to sleep!

After getting out after dropping some stuff off, the heat comming from underneath the car was huge!!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2006, 21:18:27 »

Ooooooh. Was that a Nissan 300c? Or am I on the wrong side of 40?

I thought it was a Nissan too.....but then im on the rong side of 40 too  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2006, 21:35:56 »

Is your condenser nice and bug free?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2006, 22:13:46 »

Is your condenser nice and bug free?

It doesnt look bad.....a few dead flies in it......i think someone recommended jet hosing it...but i was worried about the pressure bending the vanes

Other thing i havent been able to work out is....when aircon is on.....sometimes temp gets upto 95C before turbo mode fan is on to get temp down.....sometimes turbo mode fan starts at 85C to cool....only thing i could think off is ....temp gauge and temp sensor is miles apart.....without aircon on.....temp never gets above 85C.....this is on 2.2 tho.....i have read V6's can run this hot and its normal....

3rd fan ?? be better??

Cheers

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2006, 22:44:48 »

my temp never goes above 90, usual motorway crusing its about 80/85. only when stopped in traffic or paused dropping off something does it reach   90, it will then stay there until its moving again.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2006, 08:44:34 »

Temp gauge and fan temp sensor are totaly seperate.

The temp gauge indicates the approx water temp in the heads, the fan temp switch is monitoring the radiator temp....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2006, 18:05:14 »

Temp gauge and fan temp sensor are totaly seperate.

The temp gauge indicates the approx water temp in the heads, the fan temp switch is monitoring the radiator temp....

Thanks Mark....as i guessed then really....explains why turbo mode fan cooling (when aircon on) when the temp guage is only at 85C sometimes......youve got nice hot air from the aircon condenser being drawn through the engine rad.....not suprising then the engine fan goes into turbo mode....the engine rad is more than likely hotter than the head temp.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.