Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircon compressor removal  (Read 1833 times)

Nickbat

Aircon compressor removal
« on: 28 July 2006, 11:39:23 »

I come from another forum ;)!!

My Omega is in a garage having a secondhand compressor fitted (when it arrives, that is!). The garage phoned to say that the had a right old problem taking the old one off as they had to drop the cross-member. I told them that I didn't think this was necessary as it had previously been fitted by an aircon guy at the roadside. (Sadly, he's on holiday or I would have got him to handle this replacement). They didn't believe me. I think they're after more money. Do you really need to drop the cross-member?

In case anyone is after a similar item, I have located a spares place in Brum which flogs secondhand compressors for £50. Not sure if I should post a link here as I want to be a good boy on my first visit.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Aircon compressor removal
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2006, 13:56:49 »

Theres no need to drop the crossmember, I changed one a couple of months ago without much trouble.

The refrigerant pipe bolt is accessible from above the engine using long socket extensions, its a sod to see but possible.
Undo the two refrigerant line unions, union nuts on early cars, QD connectors on later.
Un bolt the refrigerant pipe support bracket from sump flange, push refrigerant pipes rearwards.
Unbolt compressor, then ease it forward slightly, rotate it anticlockwise (iirc) and it will come out.

Theres just enough room to get the pipes back into the compressor and insert the bolt before tightening from above
Must use new seals on the pipe-compressor joint and new O rings in the pipe unions or QD couplers.

HTH

Nickbat

« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2006, 15:19:00 »

Thanks, Pete.

You have confirmed what I thought...

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2006, 17:53:37 »

I considered changing the one on my 2.5 v6 CDX before I sold it. Afterlooking at where it was, I concluded that it was easier to leave the compressor there and remove the car, rather than the other way around.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2006, 19:13:11 »

TIS doesn't mention anything other than disconnecting the pipes and unbolting it.

And the TIS is usually first to say step 1 remove engine.....

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2006, 23:16:48 »

I considered changing the one on my 2.5 v6 CDX before I sold it. Afterlooking at where it was, I concluded that it was easier to leave the compressor there and remove the car, rather than the other way around.

They are orrible things to change on a car that has had leaky camcover seals so you probably did the right thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.