Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blowing from exhaust  (Read 2378 times)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
blowing from exhaust
« on: 26 July 2006, 18:58:19 »

my 2.5 has been getting worse recently, there is a noise from the RH bank only on start up and for about 30 seconds, once warm it is almost unnoticeable.

It is getting worse though, now is it the manifold or is it the downpipe gasket, if it's the manifold where does it normally go and can i get it rewelded up

RonaldMcBurger

Re: blowing from exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2006, 19:59:27 »

This is a common fault and is usually the manifold gasket, but is sometimes caused bysomeone snapping a manifold stud and just not fixing it. No matter how much gun-gum they put in, it will blow.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2006, 20:22:40 »

it has only happened recently, there hasn't been any work done on that area so i can only assume that the gasket has died a death....or is dying

It doesn't do it when it is warm, would that be due to the manifold expanding against the gasket?

dRjENSEN

• Nysted, Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2006, 20:29:52 »

It will only get worse.. (knocking when under load and so on) Mine had 3 broken bolts and the surfaces had warped, so it needed flattening too (if you can do the work yourself, as it is rather expensive to let your local Vaux dealer do the job)
Opel Omega 2.0i 16v (12/1997)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2006, 20:56:29 »

my 2.5 has been getting worse recently, there is a noise from the RH bank only on start up and for about 30 seconds, once warm it is almost unnoticeable.

It is getting worse though, now is it the manifold or is it the downpipe gasket, if it's the manifold where does it normally go and can i get it rewelded up

Mine seams to have the same problem  :(

Its less noticable with the climate set to "off"

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2006, 15:03:55 »

I did my right one recently. Bit of a fiddle but possible.

Parts cost around £20. Genuine manifold gasket about £6 downpipe gasket £5 plus secondary air injection gaskets, manifold nuts and studs.

The original papergasket was just starting to disintegrate. Took a while to clean up the cylinder head carefully, it had started to pit.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2006, 16:36:02 »

Before diving into this area, check the corrugated pipe that connects to the EGR valve, I ahve seen them split before.

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2006, 21:47:55 »

Sounds more like the secondary air none return valve - they used to leak in Russelshiem - you can remove the vacuum line to the solonoid valve and block it off - think its near the radiator on the RHS of the car on the Omega (looking at the engine bay) should have a grey 2 pin plug going to it.

Mines well blocked off on the vectra - usless eco friendly bit of kit secondary air

V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2006, 19:18:05 »

Would a faulty secondary air valve make a whistle or exhaust leak type sound when the car's under load?

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2006, 22:54:38 »

had another good look today,

the noise is defo coming from the exhaust, i have covered the EGR pipe with card to mask it and the noise is still as apparent, when i stick my head down near the exhaust you can hear it as well.......

Suppose i will have to get the manifold off and get the job done, not a job i am looking forward to

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2006, 15:44:07 »

Check the downpipe gasket first. Apparently if they are blowing you can feel it with your hands.

You need a cold engine and someone else to start the car - the downpipes get hot very quickly.

If you do decide to tackle the driver's side manifold - there is a shortcut but it's a bit fiddly.

Your problem is the big stainless coolant pipe. To remove it the plenum, intake manifold and coolant bridge need to come off. You may also need to loosen the oil cooler pipes (and perhaps drain the oil first).

I didn't fancy this and worked out that laid under the car you can reach round and 'hug' the manual gearbox. The E10 torx bolts holding the coolant pipe can be accessed. You do this blind, and in my case there was enough room to access the bolts so the oil cooler lines could be left alone. I'm not saying it was easy, but it was possible.

Changing the coolant pipe O-ring actually wasn't too bad once I had figured out it sat in a groove.

One important point is to remove the bolts from the coolant pipe but not to pull it free whilst underneath - a lot of coolant will come out, even if you have drained the system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.