Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Fashioned  (Read 2473 times)

STMO123

Old Fashioned
« on: 28 September 2006, 16:04:18 »

Is it just me?..........I was really dismayed yesterday to hear Bob Geldorf use the F word on the news. Nothing unusual I know, but he was fronting a meeting attended by representatives of african nations and up front with him were Tony Blair and, I think, his wife and a few more dignitaries.
What was even worse is that no-one seemed too bothered by it. We all use it, perhaps too often, but I would die if one of my kids said it in the house.
Like I say, maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I dont want to hear it in those circumstances and certainly not from (or in the company of) people who ask (nay, demand) our respect.

Disgruntled
Wakefield

STMO123

Re: Old Fashioned
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2006, 16:48:17 »

Well, I'm obviously in a minority of one :o

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2006, 16:54:03 »

I see what you mean about swearing whether during conferences or on TV or in this case both cant be porevented totally I guess.

Off thread slightly

Sometimes i wonder about the TV watershed crap it doesn't work or atleast not all the time imo.

Only yesterday i had to watch Corrie with the missus must of been about 7 - 7.30 when Tracie barlow blurted I wil slap the truth out the bitch. Where did that come from I wonder as you would have thought it would have been bleeped.

Now I swear away from the kids but its not good when you have two youngsters who watch the programme before going to bed, doesn't really set the right example.

« Last Edit: 28 September 2006, 16:59:36 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2006, 16:54:46 »

I am of the opinion that if you swear putting forward your argument, you lose that argument.

Most of us, myself included, swear to much.  That means that the shock factor of swearing is lost.
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2006, 16:56:55 »

That means that the shock factor of swearing is lost.

Exactly. Well said!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2006, 17:15:50 »

I Sometimes i wonder about the TV watershed crap it doesn't work or atleast not all the time imo.

IMHO the so called watershed is pretty much a complete waste of time. It seems that so many kids stay up after 9pm or have TV's in their bedrooms that aren't monitored by their parents, and in many cases some parents don't give a damn what their kids get up to. I hear young kids out in the street effing and blinding like troopers all the time, but to be fair, I guess they don't always pick it up from TV - once again, there are a minority of parents that don't care what language they use in front of their kids.

Blimey....ranted on a bit there ::)
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2006, 17:19:27 »

I am of the opinion that if you swear putting forward your argument, you lose that argument.

Most of us, myself included, swear to much.  That means that the shock factor of swearing is lost.

I agree i swear to much trying to stop though but it's not working
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2006, 17:20:01 »

I Sometimes i wonder about the TV watershed crap it doesn't work or atleast not all the time imo.

IMHO the so called watershed is pretty much a complete waste of time. It seems that so many kids stay up after 9pm or have TV's in their bedrooms that aren't monitored by their parents, and in many cases some parents don't give a damn what their kids get up to. I hear young kids out in the street effing and blinding like troopers all the time, but to be fair, I guess they don't always pick it up from TV - once again, there are a minority of parents that don't care what language they use in front of their kids.

Blimey....ranted on a bit there ::)
Plus there are many ways to record programmes & watch them later.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2006, 17:27:59 »

I couldnt give a f***!!

Actually i could that was just for comedy effect.

If you watch one of those 'how fat is your kid'/ 'i'm a crap parent please help me'/ 'I live in a pig pen' programs its obvious most of the kids get it from their parents screaming it at them/ each other, so they think its ok to call other kids it and we enter an evil circle.

just my 2p of course

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2006, 17:33:11 »

I have to agree, parents have to take most of the blame. I know it can be picked up at school etc, but if parents do not teach right and wrong, or this modern 'naughty corner' type crap, it will become unmanagable.  Physical discipline, or at least a truthful threat of it, is required (obviously I'm not talking about beating the crap out og the little bugger).
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2006, 18:39:05 »

I think what you have just said, Jaime, is the absolute crux of the matter. Without any fear of tough sanctions, there is no deterrent whatsoever. This is true of misbehaving kids, hardened criminals and even rogue states.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2006, 20:13:24 »

I swear to much, sometimes when i lose my temper or when something isnt going right but I will never swear in front of a lady or children or someone I dont know.
Retired

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2006, 20:16:29 »

Every rather second rather word.  

I swear far too much, but that's only cos i work in a factory with women, and boy you wanna hear them at it.  :o
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

STMO123

« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2006, 20:27:19 »

I swear far too much, but that's only cos i work in a factory with women, and boy you wanna hear them at it.  :o

My brother used to work in the golf ball section at dunlops. It was permanent nights and there was him......and 47 women. Sounds great but I'll tell you, that lad threw more sickies than anyone I've known. He was terrified of going in some nights.

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2006, 20:28:46 »

My brother used to work in the golf ball section at dunlops. It was permanent nights and there was him......and 47 women. Sounds great but I'll tell you, that lad threw more sickies than anyone I've known. He was terrified of going in some nights.
A real eye opener let me tell you.  :o

Chubby Brown don't get a look in.
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2006, 22:24:27 »

Just spotted this thread.

Swearing on TV is just another way that standards have dropped like a stone.  There is no (or at least seems to be) respect these days.  People just do as they please.

I think that children are exposed to swearing far too much, not only on TV but by their own parents as has been said.  I remember last christmas I was out on the 24th doing my shopping (late i know).  There was this woman who had a trail of children following her.  She was shouting at them at the top of her voice in the middle of the street "come on you F***ing C*****s get a move on. B******s the lot of you".  I was so amazed at this I stopped dead in my tracks.  I simply looked at her and said "people like you do not deserve to have children".  For this remark, she punched me in the chest to the ground!  I suppose I should not have said anything, but I was so shocked it was an "auto pilot" moment.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2006, 22:50:39 »

Just spotted this thread.

Swearing on TV is just another way that standards have dropped like a stone.  There is no (or at least seems to be) respect these days.  People just do as they please.

I think that children are exposed to swearing far too much, not only on TV but by their own parents as has been said.  I remember last christmas I was out on the 24th doing my shopping (late i know).  There was this woman who had a trail of children following her.  She was shouting at them at the top of her voice in the middle of the street "come on you F***ing C*****s get a move on. B******s the lot of you".  I was so amazed at this I stopped dead in my tracks.  I simply looked at her and said "people like you do not deserve to have children".  For this remark, she punched me in the chest to the ground!  I suppose I should not have said anything, but I was so shocked it was an "auto pilot" moment.

SHould have got her done for assault
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.