Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Phone pre-wiring  (Read 5930 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re:  Phone pre-wiring
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2006, 11:38:43 »

If you use the basic link up set with the manufacturers prewiring. What does the omega display show when making and recieving a call?
"Phone"

No clever stuff like number etc...   ...I believe display drivers are available for more functionality, but when I checked, it was several hundred quid...
Grumpy old man

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2006, 12:26:44 »

Shows "message" on the display when hooked up to the pre-wiring. I have the Parrot unit mounted down on the console below the switch for disabling the alarm sensors and have not had a problem with it. If you set up your voice tags the unit tells you who is calling as well as letting you tell the unit who to call.

Steve

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2006, 13:35:28 »

Thanks Guys :y

Steve the Parrot you have, sounds like the one SMS01 has, do you use the vehicle link behind the glove box and Mic?

Also how can I tell if I have the factory fitted mic? I can see a series of slots in the centre of the court' light lens. between the two lamps and sensors.

Cheers Gary
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2006, 15:20:47 »

Yes it is the same unit and it is routed through the Vauxhall phone wiring. The guys who fitted it recommended that the parrot mic was installed as they have had issues with the quality of the original mic. The new mic is fitted up beside the rear view mirror shroud and is hardly noticable. If you pop out the light unit as you would to change the bulb you can see the mic where the slots are in the light unit.

Steve

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2006, 15:36:44 »

Does it have to be fitted professionally? The Car Ph*** W***House are quoting £200 for that unit plus from £75 fitting.

Were you have positioned your display, sound exactly were I thought would be best, when I was waying it up earlier. doesnt obstruct anything.

If it is easy enough to fit it, diy, any idea how you would get the new mic across without disturbing the head lining?

Sorry to Keep asking more questions.

Gary
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2006, 15:54:20 »

Gary,

Sorry, had it fitted by a local independant communications company for £235 all in. I asked at the same place as you and the initial comment was "you don't want one of them, get a headset" and then was informed that the from £75 started when they left their base, travelled up and fitted the unit so they were swiftly told to poke it.

Check the independants out as you get a better service than the big outfits.

You can clip the mic onto the top of the unit as well if you do not want to run cables.

The only prblem with DIYing this type of unit is the warranty and support side. Check it out before you buy.

Steve

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 November 2006, 17:08:46 »

I bought mine for about £85 for the 3100 model. Fitting took about 2-3 hours on a prefacelift Mk1 model. Took slightly longer on the Mk2 version.

Not a difficult job although my control board is in front of the MID display without obscuring it. Tricky bit is routing the wiring - I personally never trust other people with the wiring in my cars having seen the results of bad wiring previously. There was a mic in the car already but decided to mount the manufacturers mic immediately under the display so no disruption to the headlining. Didn't connect to the nokia connection as mine is an Orange PDA thingy. No problems with being heard or clarity, display is adjacent to original MID display so isn't distracting although it does not interface with the MID in my set up.

Haven't set up voice recognition calls yet as no time, but person with Mk2 miggy has done - reasonable level of success making it 100% handsfree.

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2006, 18:56:55 »

Does it have to be fitted professionally? The Car Ph*** W***House are quoting £200 for that unit plus from £75 fitting.

Were you have positioned your display, sound exactly were I thought would be best, when I was waying it up earlier. doesnt obstruct anything.

If it is easy enough to fit it, diy, any idea how you would get the new mic across without disturbing the head lining?

Sorry to Keep asking more questions.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Headling doesnt have to come off to get wiring for mic behind it. Loosen screws holding sun visors in place and headlining is loose enough to tuck wiring behind. The trim covering the A-Pillar will probably have to come off though. To do this on my facelift model I also had to remove the trim at the side of the headlining where the grab handles are. Again it's only a couple of screws and the whole lot snaps off and back on again.

Dave
some day.....

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2006, 20:17:06 »

Cheers Guys

:-[ Sorry but which is the A pillar? Is it the one between the screen and the door? and can you get a cable inside that into the lining?

Thanks Again

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2006, 20:52:15 »

Cheers Guys

:-[ Sorry but which is the A pillar? Is it the one between the screen and the door? and can you get a cable inside that into the lining?

Thanks Again
Correct, and yes, plenty of room for cable.
Grumpy old man

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2006, 00:37:24 »

Thanks Again everyone :y

Gary
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.