Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks to JamesV6CDX  (Read 2340 times)

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
Thanks to JamesV6CDX
« on: 17 October 2006, 18:49:08 »

Today we tackled the cambelt, auxillary belt, water pump and coolant leak on my car.

Well, "we" means James whilst I made the Tea and Coffee and made helpful comments and located missing tools and bolts.

Cambelt - Done and set perfectly
Aux Belt - Done
Water Pump - All done

Coolant Leak - Appeared not to be HBV and was where pipe joins radiator. Hopefully now sorted!! Watch this space.

Many Thanks to James for putting up with my complete lack of knowledge of things mechanical.

Gwilym
« Last Edit: 17 October 2006, 18:49:54 by Gwilym »

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks to JamesV6CDX
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2006, 18:52:19 »

Good to hear, and well done James :y
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2006, 19:15:53 »

round of applause - the forum unity strikes again  ;) :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2006, 19:43:35 »

:y
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2006, 19:49:41 »

Great! Well done James :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2006, 20:35:44 »

:y

Absolutely - OOF rolls on and on .... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2006, 22:01:43 »

Today we tackled the cambelt, auxillary belt, water pump and coolant leak on my car.

Well, "we" means James whilst I made the Tea and Coffee and made helpful comments and located missing tools and bolts.

Cambelt - Done and set perfectly
Aux Belt - Done
Water Pump - All done

Coolant Leak - Appeared not to be HBV and was where pipe joins radiator. Hopefully now sorted!! Watch this space.

Many Thanks to James for putting up with my complete lack of knowledge of things mechanical.

Gwilym
Im going to have a crack at mine in the next week or two so fingers crossed :)
Retired

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2006, 01:04:19 »

You're welcome Gwilym -

Not sure why the engine management light flickered afterwards for a bit, but the main thing is that it's gone out now! The working environment was pretty wet, so it might have just been some water in the components following the removal of the plenum. Funny enough when Fin/Dave and I did my belt change and breather clean, the EM light came on a few times on the way home, but has never returned since! I double and triple checked all connectors were in place on yours, so there's no issue there.

Keep a close eye on the coolant level, and watch carefully around the fan sensor on the RAD that I took out. The thread did not feel great, so if it leaks again, we'll replace the RAD. Wipe it all dry with a clean cloth and see if you can see any signs of a fresh leak.

I've got a reconditioned radiator for a V6 auto sat here now doing nothing, still in it's bubble wrap, so if it turns out that you need it, I'll literally accept a liquid payment for a forum member :)

In terms of the cam timing before, it was definately a few ml out, so you probably will get more power/economy now it's set spot on. Your old belt and tensioner/idlers were not in too bad a way, but definately worn and due a change. Original water pump wasn't very well though....

Don't forget to drain out a couple of litres of coolant from the rad tap (when it's cold) and replace with neat (preferably red) antifreeze - I reckon the mixture in there won't be strong enough for a really cold winter now.

That tappety noise that disappeared once it was a bit warm is almost definately as a result of having that mineral oil in there before (the viscosoty is too thick and will be noisy from cold, until it thins and properly lubricates the cam followers)

The oil looks black now, so I'd recommend a oil/filter change with some Vx 10/40 semi synth, and probably another one in about 3,000 miles, before you go back to the 5/6000 miles oil changes.

Hang on to that new HBV, they're a very common point of failure so you may end up needing it sometime anyway!

The only job other than that, being an ex-plod car, is to find out where those blue lights and headlight flasher relays are - and have some fun on the M5 :D

If you need anymore help mate just give me a yell ...

(Ps - putting tools down and then forgetting where they are is my speciality) :)

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2006, 16:18:26 »

Thanks again :y

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2006, 20:35:23 »

as an aside, I had a rather disturbing tappety noise on mine after changing the cambelt and tensioners - I'm guessing that the oil drained from the top end with all the turning of the crank by hand getting the timing spot on ... sorted itself out pretty quickly afterwards though. Didn't sound good when it was first started though, if you're not expecting it  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.