Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One for Dave DND  (Read 1198 times)

05omegav6

One for Dave DND
« on: 14 December 2011, 15:36:11 »

My 'king Sony XAV70BT has thrown a hissy fit.

Was working fine, changed a CD then the screen went blank. At this point I could still change inputs using the source button on the unit, and it still connected to my phone, remote was non responsive.
Tried resetting it and now locked out.

I think that the handbrake lockout has failed. This was grounded. The wiring is all intact ie plugged in securely/soldered joints still sound. According to the manual, when the hand brake is released, the remote is locked out along with the screen.

I could connect the A/V out put to another screen, but the problem is I need to re enter the security code, which can only be done on the touch screen and can't use the remote to do it even if I could see what was going on on another screen >:( Is this something that could be overcome on a bench, or would it be cheaper to just replace?

Any ideas?  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: One for Dave DND
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2011, 15:47:52 »

Seen a few of those do that now, and I guess that you have tried the usual suggestions of removing power or pressing the reset button.

Is it still under waranty at all?

I`m more than happy to take a look at it if you want to send it down to me, and I have know instances where the screen drivers can fail due to lack of / poor soldering inside - (had some success here).

However, it is not the most reliable of units, and were indeed pretty poorly built, so it really depends on what funds will allow at this stage as far as replacement goes.

Still, for the price of postage down to me, that might be the cheapest place to start?

:)

Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2011, 15:54:22 »

Not tried dropping it yet, but yes all of the above done :y

Is it still under waranty at all?
:o

You mean the all singing, all dancing american one? It is less than a year old... But not registered, as not a US resident :-\

When I spoke to Sony UK, the bloke managed not to giggle when I enquired. :-[

Would/could it be possible to address the tuner/region code issues at the same time and if so at what cost? :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2011, 16:10:16 »

US version? - Aw bugger !!

Not sure about the region coding, but will take a look at it - USA sets are often constructed with a USA tuner inside whereas European versions tend to be programmable - depends which factory line it went down I guess.

Send it over via this link, and if you could include the power connector from the rear (USA ones are often different also) and I`ll see what I can do

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/in-car-entertainment-repair-service.html
www.dndservices.co.uk

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2011, 16:26:42 »

Thanks for that Dave :y

The plug is a standard Sony one by the look of it, that is it's the same as the one on my UK sourced MEX R5. The only difference is the empty pin on the MEX wiring contains the park brake wire, all the other wires are identical. The XAV loom is soldered into the car as have used common feeds (fused seperately) for all the gubbins. Can send a new lead with the head unit, but will prob be in the New Year. :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2011, 16:47:19 »

No worries about the lead then, We `ve got loads of the UK ones here with fully populated plugs
www.dndservices.co.uk

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2011, 00:31:42 »

:y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.