Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another radiator fan topic  (Read 2169 times)

ReLLaXX

• Romania
    • Opel Omega B, Sedan, 2003
    • View Profile
Another radiator fan topic
« on: 26 June 2017, 19:32:24 »

I've searched the forum for 3 days before posting so I am positive this is a new one.

Skiping the radiator fan test, the 2.2 dti has a different layout in the relay box or I can't identify the test connector, one or the other.

So, measuring at the fan connector (car side) I have negative and 13.2V on both power wires, never in the same time. Exterior power wire on connector has power until 95 degrees (C), midle over 95. So we have power at the connector. Testing the fan directly with battery power shows that only one pin reacts to power, and that is the outside pin. With power on the midle (+) pin and negative pin the fan has no reaction. Again, on the outside pin it does go full power while connected to the battery.

So, power on the connector, at least one stage of the fan working. Plug in the connector, nothing happends, at any temperature. The only fan kicking in over 95 C is the AC one in the front.

Changed all the relays with ones from a working car. Measured everything that came to my mind. Right now I am out of ideeas.

So. What do I do next?
Considering the fact that there is no absolute truth... I may be relatively... right!

ReLLaXX

• Romania
    • View Profile
Re: Another radiator fan topic
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2017, 20:26:51 »

And one more, so I wont open another thread.

When I got the car non of the central locking worked. 0 reaction from key fob or doors. I swaped the central locking module from a Estate (and the key remote) and doors are working normal but not the booth. Wont open no matter what. Tested at the actuator, receiving no power when I push the button on the dash (modified wiring as seen on OOF, it has to work anytime but still I did hold it for 5 sec with ignition off). Also, no power on the wires before they exit from the rear fender (I suspected a broken wire in the loom).

1) Is it possible that the Estate central locking module cant controle the actuator in the trunk?

2) Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you!

Considering the fact that there is no absolute truth... I may be relatively... right!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2017, 20:28:41 »

1. This. They aren't compatible.

2. Fit a saloon module :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

ReLLaXX

• Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2017, 20:34:04 »

1. This. They aren't compatible.

2. Fit a saloon module :y

This is what I get for having an Estate as a spare parts car when in fact I own a saloon. Thank you.  :y

One down, one to go! :)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2017, 12:06:37 »

the wires can break on the rubber boot on the boot. rear boot solenoid (lock) is earthed to the boot but has a link earth through the rubber boot.

ReLLaXX

• Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2017, 22:58:47 »

the wires can break on the rubber boot on the boot. rear boot solenoid (lock) is earthed to the boot but has a link earth through the rubber boot.

Allready checked, wires are ok. Will change the central locking module and see how it goes.

No ideea on the radiator fan? Anybody?

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2017, 19:02:57 »

thermal fan switch is two phase.  left side of two pins in the 3 pin arrangement is resistance line cut in at around 90c right pin cuts in at around 95c  resister is under the battery housing about 2 to 3 inches away from the negative body shell earth.  bottom pin say number 3 is the earth wire.

number 1 setting is resister setting low fan speed. 
number 2 setting is full fan speed. (no resistance )
number 3 earth.

if fan only coming on at high temp the thermal switch has go on low speed. with a jump wire on the wiring to the fan switch cross over 1 wire  from earth to 1 or 2 the fan should spin at 2 speeds. if still only working at top speed on number 2, then the resister is at fault under the battery plate. if all working at the fan wiring plug thermal switch is not working.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2017, 19:22:37 »

also to add if you have volts out to fan but fan not working. but fan works on external power change the power plug on the wire as this can wear out, only has tiny thine connections on the plug and they can weaken on over heat and warp out of position and no contact with the fan pins.

ReLLaXX

• Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2017, 22:05:19 »

also to add if you have volts out to fan but fan not working. but fan works on external power change the power plug on the wire as this can wear out, only has tiny thine connections on the plug and they can weaken on over heat and warp out of position and no contact with the fan pins.

Thank you very much!

I looked everywhere, there is no 2 stage resistor. Under the battery try I can only find the AC lines and 2 white-gray connectors, 6 pins each, and the ground point. Even more, I can trace the fan wires directly into the relay box. It is clear that there is a two step system but its possible that its done only by the radiator temp sensor and some relays. Still, i get aprox. 0.6V less on the fan connector than I have measured on the battery. I think this may be a faulty ground. Will have to check.

I just looked closely at the fan connector (car side) and the contacts seem pretty bad. I will change the connector and see if it works. But I did try to jump it with a 2.5 mm copper wire between both fan connectors and didnt work. Who knows, maybe I had a bad contact.

1 thing is almost sure, if my fan motor has 2 steps only one is working. With direct power on the midle pin nothing hapends. I will try to bypass that connector also and see how it goes. I still cant understand why do I get the same voltage but on dfferent pins at different temps. I have the spare parts car and will beggin complex surgery on that one tomorrow to understand exactly how it works.

I have been arround wires and current for too many years, I think I am starting to hate it. :)

Will get back after I experiment with this.

Again, thank you!

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2017, 23:08:55 »

its not a 2 stage resistor its just single. the wiring on the relay turns on the power to the fan, the first power goes to fan at its lowest temp setting. then when the temp keeps rising and goes to the hottest temp on the fan switch it bypasses this and gives fan full power. you did test with the ignition on, you dont need the engine running. when you connect the pins on the plug with the wire you will hear the relay click, if no click then there is a problem with the relay, you can take the relay apart the cover just clips on and have a look at its connections, there is a magnet and 2 copper strips with round like batteries on them these should both touch when the relay is activated, if they don't touch then the power will not reach the fan,  even a clicking sound can not confirm the relay is working just means that its moving inside. the resister can be a block on the radiator housing near to the top hose  this will have a 3 pin plug on it the black box it the resister. its green inside with wire round in a coil covered by green  heat resister compound when this starts to crack off the resistor may be damaged and need replacing.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.