Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Formel E  (Read 3086 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Formel E
« on: 14 July 2019, 08:27:48 »

While waiting for the first WSB race from Laguna Seca last night I watched the Formel E  race from New York.This is the first time I've watched this series and I must say it was very good-certainly better race than any in F1-loads of overtaking[and quite a bit of paint rubbing.From the commentary one of the main concerns was battery temperature.Driving over a very short section of track[and up against the wall in this case]gave the drivers "Attack Mode" which lasts for 4mins and can be used twice per race at a time of the drivers/team choosing.I'll have to watch more of these races[for what's left of this season/next season]to see if they live up to yesterdays race.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Formel E
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2019, 10:34:12 »

The noise is annoying, and they still have to implement false overtaking.  And look how slow they are.

Showing the milk floats are not ready for prime time yet.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2019, 10:59:48 »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I prefer it to the shambles that is F1. A sport they've tried to make more interesting by adding more technical rules  ::).

I noticed there was talk this year that Hamilton's car 'might be over 1000 bhp this year'. Shows how utterly stagnant the sport is when the V10s in the late 90's were making 800.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2019, 11:02:26 »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I prefer it to the shambles that is F1. A sport they've tried to make more interesting by adding more technical rules  ::).

I noticed there was talk this year that Hamilton's car 'might be over 1000 bhp this year'. Shows how utterly stagnant the sport is when the V10s in the late 90's were making 800.
I doubt they were 1.6 V10's.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2019, 16:17:16 »

BRM ran a 1.5 L V16 back in the day.

Well, when i say ran,  not usually on all 16.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2019, 16:22:40 »

I find it utterly tedious. My poor grandchildren will only have that shite to watch instead of proper F1.
F1 has already gone hybrid for marketing and political pressure reasons, which is crazy imo, and its only a matter of time before it merges into formula e.  :'(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2019, 18:08:04 »

BHP?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2019, 18:53:29 »

BHP?

About 600 when it was working. Not bad considering it wasn't long post-war.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2019, 19:17:39 »

That's my very point, why 1.6l? Oh, because its yet another pointless rule that does nothing for the sport. For decades it was the pinnacle of motorsport, now its all about how well your pointy heads can digest/cheat the rulebook. F1 should be any size engine, number of cylinders, active aero, you name it, let's see what they've got, sure, chuck in some KERS if it makes the car faster, why ever not...

Give Formula E a decade or so, when its running faster and in more dramatic locations than F1 (where you can't have races for noise reasons) and its popularity will be massive. I just hope that it doesn't get hamstrung with the same tedium that afflicts formula 1.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2019, 19:19:46 by jimmy944 »

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2019, 19:46:41 »

That's my very point, why 1.6l? Oh, because its yet another pointless rule that does nothing for the sport. For decades it was the pinnacle of motorsport, now its all about how well your pointy heads can digest/cheat the rulebook. F1 should be any size engine, number of cylinders, active aero, you name it, let's see what they've got, sure, chuck in some KERS if it makes the car faster, why ever not...

Give Formula E a decade or so, when its running faster and in more dramatic locations than F1 (where you can't have races for noise reasons) and its popularity will be massive. I just hope that it doesn't get hamstrung with the same tedium that afflicts formula 1.
It all started as an exercise to prove hybrid technology could be used in GP cars and then would be fed down to road cars. I think they lost their way on that one after about two races.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2019, 08:06:52 »

I agree that the noise they make can be irritating,but F1 cars don't sound that good either.TB if by false overtaking you mean the use of "attack mode" and "fan boost" then this is something that has gone on in motor racing since at least the 20s/30s-when Mercedes used their superchargers in this way[nailing the throttle brought the supercharger into use and was only for short duration use before easing off the throttle cut the supercharger back out again]-and I believe at one point F1 cars had a boost button for a similar effect.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2019, 10:34:40 »

I agree that the noise they make can be irritating,but F1 cars don't sound that good either.TB if by false overtaking you mean the use of "attack mode" and "fan boost" then this is something that has gone on in motor racing since at least the 20s/30s-when Mercedes used their superchargers in this way[nailing the throttle brought the supercharger into use and was only for short duration use before easing off the throttle cut the supercharger back out again]-and I believe at one point F1 cars had a boost button for a similar effect.
But the opponent could also use the same.

E-'dangle berries' shite wank and F1's DRS aren't the same, and are purely there to allow the driver following to overtake the car in front.  ie, false overtaking
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2019, 10:48:11 »

Its oversized Scalextric and F1 is heading the same way. I may be a Luddite or I may be a purist. You decide.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2019, 11:05:07 »

Its oversized Scalextric and F1 is heading the same way. I may be a Luddite or I may be a purist. You decide.  :D
It's just that you're like most on here, Albs.....old. My grandad did nothing but complain that things were changing for the worse, the Beatles were the spawn of Satan and as for tits in the newspaper  :o Then my dad went the same and now it's our turn.
Dinosaurs.  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2019, 15:33:20 »

Street circuits aren't where F1 car's shine though. The A1 ring in Austria is a bit mickey mouse, and whilst Monaco and Singapore seem popular they're hopeless as races. 

Give me the classics at Silverstone, Hockenheim (the old one), Nurburg ring (the old one), Monza, Suzuka, Montreal, or the real daddy Spa, over any of the new courses. Be interesting next year to see how Zanfoort stacks up after so many years off the calendar.

Comparing F1 to Formula E is pointless. Apples and Pears.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.