Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danny Baker fired by the BBC......  (Read 8951 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Danny Baker fired by the BBC......
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2019, 13:45:43 »

He has always been a class 1 idiot, but in this country, which supposedly has freedom of speech, he should not be pilloried for saying stupid/controversial things; others equally have the right to respond in their own way - and they did.
As Voltaire was (wrongly) said to proclaim, "I may not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it".

Ron.
I agree, Ron, to a point. But you could also say that the people criticising him have their right to do that, and the BBC have the right to sack someone for what they consider to be gross misconduct. Like most things, it works both ways.

'Rights' are subjective and, often, one persons rights can be trumped by another person's rights. i.e. The Sussex's rights to leave hospital with their newborn without people posting offensive tweets.

They are strongly in the public eye/domain and in a highly privileged position, so hardly a level playing field. Not to defend Baker, but there were bigger guns aimed at him; did he really have to lose his job?

Ron.

Freedom of speech does not equate to freedom to insult.  It is a rare day I agree with STEMO but he is right when he says that one's 'right' goes both ways regardless of whether you are in the public eye or not (and whether or not it is through your own choosing).  Otherwise you could say that my right to drive a motor vehicle supercedes everyone else's right to being safe on the road, which is clearly pish.

The quote which you mention was actually made by someone else to describe Voltaire's views on freedom of speech, not by Voltaire himself.  Additionally, the context of said quote was very different from this situation.  Voltaire was against aristocratic authority and how it often suppressed freedom of speech, i.e. state-level suppression of rights and not freedom to say what you like even if it erodes other people's rights to not be subjected to offense.  Voltaire himself was a proponent of a constitutional monarchy which protects the rights of the individual.

I feel the use of this quote in this context is very misplaced.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2019, 13:52:16 »

He has always been a class 1 idiot, but in this country, which supposedly has freedom of speech, he should not be pilloried for saying stupid/controversial things; others equally have the right to respond in their own way - and they did.
As Voltaire was (wrongly) said to proclaim, "I may not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it".

Ron.
I agree, Ron, to a point. But you could also say that the people criticising him have their right to do that, and the BBC have the right to sack someone for what they consider to be gross misconduct. Like most things, it works both ways.

'Rights' are subjective and, often, one persons rights can be trumped by another person's rights. i.e. The Sussex's rights to leave hospital with their newborn without people posting offensive tweets.

They are strongly in the public eye/domain and in a highly privileged position, so hardly a level playing field. Not to defend Baker, but there were bigger guns aimed at him; did he really have to lose his job?

Ron.
I am not defending or chastising anyone, Ron. Nowadays, the world works in a way which is alien to me, so I just get on with my life and let others get on with theirs. Some of the things my PC headteacher wife comes out with make me either want to laugh out loud or cry. The other day I used the term 'Deaf and dumb'. I was told that is a very offensive term and the correct one is 'Deaf and mute'.
Yeah.........I'd show you offensive if I didn't just want a quiet life.

Ain't dat de troof! The inmates seem to have taken over the asylum. I would also like to ignore all the craziness of the snowflakes and let it all wash over me, but there is simply too much of it - and the humour has gone out of the world.....

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 May 2019, 13:54:26 »

I would say that freedom of speech is absolute.......but it isn't always a good idea to use that freedom. Best to keep your gob shut at times.

Nobody has the right to be ' not offended '. Some people are offended by almost everything. Think generation snowflake.

......and I think you are all a bunch of tossers. Especially the gobby scouser. :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 May 2019, 14:00:53 »

Ron.

Ron.

Freedom of speech does not equate to freedom to insult.  It is a rare day I agree with STEMO but he is right when he says that one's 'right' goes both ways regardless of whether you are in the public eye or not (and whether or not it is through your own choosing).  Otherwise you could say that my right to drive a motor vehicle supercedes everyone else's right to being safe on the road, which is clearly pish.

The quote which you mention was actually made by someone else to describe Voltaire's views on freedom of speech, not by Voltaire himself. Additionally, the context of said quote was very different from this situation.  Voltaire was against aristocratic authority and how it often suppressed freedom of speech, i.e. state-level suppression of rights and not freedom to say what you like even if it erodes other people's rights to not be subjected to offense.  Voltaire himself was a proponent of a constitutional monarchy which protects the rights of the individual.

Read me properly: I did say wrongly attributed to Voltaire - it was actually Beatrice Hall.
I also conceded that "rights" go both ways, even though too many claim spurious rights nowadays.
Sorry Gaffers, no offence intended, but your motoring analogy is a specious one and irrelevant. But I still love you!

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 May 2019, 14:04:45 »

Ron.

Ron.
I am not defending or chastising anyone, Ron. Nowadays, the world works in a way which is alien to me, so I just get on with my life and let others get on with theirs. Some of the things my PC headteacher wife comes out with make me either want to laugh out loud or cry. The other day I used the term 'Deaf and dumb'. I was told that is a very offensive term and the correct one is 'Deaf and mute'.
Yeah.........I'd show you offensive if I didn't just want a quiet life.

Headteacher...... :-\.....not this old PC boll*cks again.

I presume you are married to a woman rather than a gender neutral person.

Headmistress is the word..... :y

If you are married to a man Headmaster can be used.

Not difficult,is it. :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 May 2019, 14:18:22 »

:y :y :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #21 on: 09 May 2019, 14:48:32 »

It's really quite a simple task, put your brain into gear before engaging your mouth but obviously this task is beyond some people.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2019, 15:05:40 by Tilbo »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 May 2019, 14:54:06 »

I was very surprised when I heard about this, as although I don't know a lot about him, I always had the impression he was a  typical lefty liberal BBC type.
Havent heard his interview yet, but just heard a discussion about it on LBC. Someone said he is well known for posting pics of the Chimps dressed up as famous people, and also has exactly the same thoughts on the Monarchy as STEMO and Optis grandma, so he tweeted what he did without giving a thought to the racial element.
I still find it hard to believe someone in his position could do that in this day and age, without realising what would happen, but who knows.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 May 2019, 15:06:18 »

Just saw his interview on SKY news. I think he is a d1ckhead, but he,s telling the truth.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 May 2019, 15:07:20 »

Ron.

Ron.

The quote which you mention was actually made by someone else to describe Voltaire's views on freedom of speech, not by Voltaire himself. Additionally, the context of said quote was very different from this situation.  Voltaire was against aristocratic authority and how it often suppressed freedom of speech, i.e. state-level suppression of rights and not freedom to say what you like even if it erodes other people's rights to not be subjected to offense.  Voltaire himself was a proponent of a constitutional monarchy which protects the rights of the individual.

Read me properly: I did say wrongly attributed to Voltaire - it was actually Beatrice Hall.
I also conceded that "rights" go both ways, even though too many claim spurious rights nowadays.
Sorry Gaffers, no offence intended, but your motoring analogy is a specious one and irrelevant. But I still love you!

Ron.

[puts glasses on]  Ah, yes.  Sorry I honestly failed to see the part in brackets.  Maybe I just got in to autopilot as I often do when I see that Voltaire quote ::)

I do not agree with your interpretation of my motoring analagy but that's fine :y  I think what you mean is that different people get offended by different things and it is difficult, oft impossible, to know who will be offended by what.  Sometimes I feel the offense taken is justified, sometimes not.  A whole load of subjectivity goes in to each scenario and I bet no two people will feel the same about every single one.  I, for example, take great offense at anyone making fun of cyclists getting hurt or killed but this is due to my own experiences as both a cyclist and from what happened to my brother.  Yet not everyone will feel the same because they have had different life experiences.

In this particular case though it is well known, and widely considered unacceptable, to conflate race with apes of any kind.  That Danny worked on 5 Live, a channel that hosts a lot of football and will certainly know the challenges the sport has had with this very specific insult, and that he claimed not to know it would cause offense is simply absurd and for that he deserved to be fired.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 May 2019, 15:08:09 »

Oh, and I love you too Ron.  I think.  Maybe...  ::) :-\ ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 May 2019, 16:25:41 »

Should we get a room?
Seriously though, I did read an earlier post of yours concerning cyclists and although I am not enamoured of their misbehaviour on the roads and pavements, I do not advocate the death penalty - merely that they be dealt with accordingly.

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 May 2019, 17:23:21 »

Should we get a room?
Seriously though, I did read an earlier post of yours concerning cyclists and although I am not enamoured of their misbehaviour on the roads and pavements, I do not advocate the death penalty - merely that they be dealt with accordingly.

Ron.

Best not let Albitz be the judge. He is rather fond of hanging people. ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 May 2019, 17:39:47 »

Should we get a room?

Ron.

Wasn't that French spies?  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 May 2019, 17:44:41 »

Should we get a room?

Ron.

Wasn't that French spies?  ;D

His 'to do list' of people to be hanged come the glorious day is extensive. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.