Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: More trees  (Read 3169 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
More trees
« on: 16 November 2019, 20:37:20 »

What do you think to more trees?

Political parties are promising more planting.

I have thought we need more trees for years.  I hope they don't convert farmland but instead look for open space trees in built up areas or heathland. I would agree that some trees in streets cause problems. Fallen leaves or sap .

Whete do you think 60 million should go?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: More trees
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2019, 21:13:34 »

Yes the New Forest is nearly 1000 years old, so we need a new New Forest!  :)

Talking of the New Forest, there's loads of room for new trees there as a lot of that is heath.  :y

Probably because they chopped the trees down to build ships and never replanted.  :-\  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2019, 07:52:07 »

Good idea to plant more trees,then as they'll be taking up the land somebody will want to build ever more housing they can build them in the tree tops which in turn will save them from flood damage so it's a win/win all round :D Anyway they'd best get a move on with the planting as Rangie is busy having them chopped down for firewood ;D ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2019, 08:38:54 »

Good idea to plant more trees,then as they'll be taking up the land somebody will want to build ever more housing they can build them in the tree tops which in turn will save them from flood damage so it's a win/win all round :D Anyway they'd best get a move on with the planting as Rangie is busy having them chopped down for firewood ;D ;D

Too right 16 trees when we moved in a year ago some far too close together blocking sunshine/light now only 9 happy with that & perfectly spaced..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2019, 12:10:51 »

A few years back I had 17 or 18 60ft poplar trees cut down because of disease. :'(

If we go into a climate meltdown it will be all my fault..............in common with those who insist on driving a planet-killing derv car. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2019, 12:21:34 »

At the end of my garden is a field divided into allotments. One of the allotment holders planted a Eucalyptus tree, of all things, just the other side of my fence just before we moved in 15 years ago. The bloody thing is 30 feet high now and growing so fast you can almost watch it.
The knobs in charge of the allotments promised to cut it down four years ago, but still haven't done so, and have a long list of excuses for themselves. The latest one being that they cant afford it, and they feel that I should pay for it.  Im willing to fell it myself, onto the middle of the allotments obviously, but swmbo doesn't want the ensuing hassle.
I might just look into the cost involved, and if its not a silly amount, have it done just to get rid of the bloody eyesore.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2019, 12:36:03 »

A few years back I had 17 or 18 60ft poplar trees cut down because of disease. :'(

If we go into a climate meltdown it will be all my fault..............in common with those who insist on driving a planet-killing derv car. :)
A drop in the ocean with all your other considerable forest land surely  :-\

when I moved in to this house I chopped down ALL the trees ,bloody 30' plus conifers  ::)
a few doors down,someone has 40+ foot conifers right next to the footpath  :(
the roots of which have destroyed the pavement ,
I think one day they will come down ,just hope non of our cars are in the way when they do  :(
if they do, I guess it's my insurance that has to pay out ?
I have now got an ash tree ,doing quite well, next year I will plant more but keep them manageable ,
so I'm not anti trees ,just think people should think before planting ,maintain them

At the end of my garden is a field divided into allotments. One of the allotment holders planted a Eucalyptus tree, of all things, just the other side of my fence just before we moved in 15 years ago. The bloody thing is 30 feet high now and growing so fast you can almost watch it.
The knobs in charge of the allotments promised to cut it down four years ago, but still haven't done so, and have a long list of excuses for themselves. The latest one being that they cant afford it, and they feel that I should pay for it.  Im willing to fell it myself, onto the middle of the allotments obviously, but swmbo doesn't want the ensuing hassle.
I might just look into the cost involved, and if its not a silly amount, have it done just to get rid of the bloody eyesore.

I empathize , I'd happily cut the crappy local conifers down for free if the owner got rid of the rubbish 

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2019, 13:00:28 »

When we moved to Lincolnshire in 1987 the house we bought had about a dozen or so 6ft Conifers at the bottom of the garden had them down straight away.😉
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2019, 14:25:52 »

Im willing to fell it myself, onto the middle of the allotments obviously
Get a professional in.  They cut it down from the top and nothing longer than a foot or two hits the ground.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2019, 14:42:10 »

Get a professional in.  They cut it down from the top and nothing longer than a foot or two hits the ground.
his Bank Balance however won't fair so well  ::)

cutting down costs very little to DIY , some petrol, 4 stroke mix and bar n chain oil ,say £5
the cost  is getting rid of it all ,say £500 in skips
to get rid of someone else's rubbish

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2019, 15:03:18 »

cutting down costs very little to DIY , some petrol, 4 stroke mix and bar n chain oil ,say £5

Got rid of two very large Silver Birch trees in a matter of hours friends took all the logs yesterday , branches & leaves in three runs to the tip this morning cost a little bit of fuel that's, £500 for a skip ! Not in my world.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2019, 16:01:42 »

it would cost £500 (3 large skips) to get rid of the ones by me,
local tip charge , it would take ages to mulch it with my shredder and fill a wheely bin every 2 weeks
plus considerable time and they are not MY trees
same as the French car (CL-Eeyore) owner's predicament,Mr Migv6 le Frog Fan  ;D
though if a tree falls on that French car ,I doubt anyone would care  ;D

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2019, 17:46:58 »

We did the same in that we planted two eucalyptus trees on a border 4m from our house. Last year I realised that if they came down in a storm they'd cause a huge load of damage. I propped ladders against the first climbed up and cut about 8foot from top .The f 'in thing came down like a tower block  and knocked me off the ladder. These were about 9 inch in diameter and weighed more than oak . I treated the remainder with a lot of respect when felling .
Burned well though when seasoned.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2019, 18:15:05 »

We did the same in that we planted two eucalyptus trees on a border 4m from our house. Last year I realised that if they came down in a storm they'd cause a huge load of damage. I propped ladders against the first climbed up and cut about 8foot from top .The f 'in thing came down like a tower block  and knocked me off the ladder. These were about 9 inch in diameter and weighed more than oak . I treated the remainder with a lot of respect when felling .
Burned well though when seasoned.

Ouch!  :o  ::)   Sounds like a youtube video that Don!  :D  ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 November 2019, 18:25:19 »

Read somewhere that trees actually don't give out much oxygen, for the given space they take up - algae in the ocean (reduced by of course shipping) is actually vastly better for adding o2 to the atmosphere. That's what we need to protect/encourage growth of.

On the other side there's strong argument that although we're allegedly heading for the extinction and climate meltdown, high levels of co2 in the air is actually, on the whole fine for the planet ie: it's been far higher in previous millennia, and as plants breathe co2, so actually more co2 in the air makes for happier - and thereby more plants. I suspect (unless Man intervenes) that as carbon increases, so will the amount of plants, thereby cancelling it out.

Just to make anyone driving a 20 year old V6 that chucks out lumps of petrol-soaked coal like me feel a little less guilt about the planet's impending death check this vid out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-mRJmfFjFE
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2019, 18:27:02 »

Yes, we all need to plant a lot more trees...............to even just start to replace the 1.5 acres of forest apparently destroyed every second across the World!! :o :o

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2019, 18:41:39 »

Agreed

But as per my original post where to plant these trees promised by the political parties?

Not in my back yard seems to be the unanimous vote so far......
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2019, 18:43:02 »

My Omega only "lets out" sugar and spice and all things nice  ::)
no "petrol soaked coal" Lizzie
there by .... all the petrol I put in ,which is quite a bit  :-X gets converted to nice things  ;)
I'm doing my bit for global warming, I've let Mrs Builder have 2 chunks of coal for the fire today alone  :y
and she's had the tumble dryer on (though that vents to a heat exchanger to heat my koi pond)

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2019, 07:49:39 »

Just stop at the petrol and add matches, surely?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2019, 12:50:09 »

Just stop at the petrol and add matches, surely?
;D
the carbon neutral approach  ::)
too close to my house and others
plus crappy conifers don't burn well
smoke would trigger the fire alarm ,if I don't answer the call from that, the in-laws are next on the call list  :-X

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2019, 15:06:21 »

Agreed

But as per my original post where to plant these trees promised by the political parties?

Not in my back yard seems to be the unanimous vote so far......

Not in my case :D

I have a great big field which is part of a major park in Ashford behind my home.  As far as I am concerned I would love them to plant broad leaf trees right across it! ;D ;D ;)

I have planted three trees in my daughters garden this year, with more to come! 8) 8) :D :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2019, 15:58:57 »

there by .... all the petrol I put in ,which is quite a bit  :-X gets converted to nice things  ;)
I'm doing my bit for global warming, I've let Mrs Builder have 2 chunks of coal for the fire today alone  :y
and she's had the tumble dryer on (though that vents to a heat exchanger to heat my koi pond)

To try and compensate for some of the pollution my 3.2 causes Dave, I have cut my red meat / all meat consumption by up to 75%.  It appears that a great deal of the world's forests are disappearing to make way for more cattle farming, so I am just doing my (very) little bit to reduce that problem! :D :D :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2019, 16:26:37 »

To try and compensate for some of the pollution my 3.2 causes Dave, I have cut my red meat / all meat consumption by up to 75%.  It appears that a great deal of the world's forests are disappearing to make way for more cattle farming, so I am just doing my (very) little bit to reduce that problem! :D :D :y

Are you saying your 3.2 is so thirsty on petrol ,you can't afford to eat meat  :o  :'(

time to sell a few shoes and handbags Lizzie  :-\

speak to TB for advice about opening an Ebay account  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 November 2019, 17:24:46 »

Are you saying your 3.2 is so thirsty on petrol ,you can't afford to eat meat :o  :'(

time to sell a few shoes and handbags Lizzie  :-\

speak to TB for advice about opening an Ebay account  :y

Oh no, I can well afford the Omega, just want to help the planet! ;D ;D ;D

Sell a few shoes and handbags? :o :o :o  Never!  If it was a choice between them and the planet................shoes and handbags would win! ;D ;D ;D ;)

I certainly would never use Ebay, especially now TB seems to be the owner :o :o :D :D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 November 2019, 19:08:09 »

Meanwhile....

If you go down to the woods tonight you're sure of a big surprise!!   ;D

Linky

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.