Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv6 suspension  (Read 2195 times)

Ady

• Poole
    • Omega 2.6
    • View Profile
Mv6 suspension
« on: 25 October 2014, 18:37:27 »

Does anybody know the part number for mv6 suspension or a reg of an mv6 I can use to order parts.

Planing on putting Mv6 suspension on a 2002 facelift 2.6 CDX. Is it a straight swap??

Thanks guys   :)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Mv6 suspension
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2014, 19:02:45 »

I should have the receipt somewhere for the OE dampers I bought but to be perfectly honest I`d not buy them again as I`ve had a rear damper fail in under 8000k but it was out of the twelve month warranty by two months. They`re made by Sach`s and it`s the second premature failure I`ve had so I think Bilstiens are the way forward.
Springs are made from Unobtainium so second hand is your best bet.

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2014, 20:01:51 »

Failing a suitable car id, ask your dealer for lowered sports chassis for a v engine face lift mv6.

Then again mv6 suspension is rumoured to be special order at best, and at worst, unavailable. So Bilstein b4 shocks all round, and a 30mm drop at the front from the likes of Irmscher (rare again so,probably used) or eibach, with lsc mv6 rears if available or  standard springs at the rear are the way to go.

Thus will gve an uneven ride height, but that has no disadvantage. In fact it should quicken the steering a fraction, but more importantly keep the rear suspension within spec. As it won't take more than 20mm drop and still keep the correct geo. 

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2014, 20:06:28 »

Failing a suitable car id, ask your dealer for lowered sports chassis for a v engine face lift mv6.

Then again mv6 suspension is rumoured to be special order at best, and at worst, unavailable. So Bilstein b4 shocks all round, and a 30mm drop at the front from the likes of Irmscher (rare again so,probably used) or eibach, with lsc mv6 rears if available or  standard springs at the rear are the way to go.

Thus will gve an uneven ride height, but that has no disadvantage. In fact it should quicken the steering a fraction, but more importantly keep the rear suspension within spec. As it won't take more than 20mm drop and still keep the correct geo.

What does this mean? MV6 and Elite don't have the same chassis?

Also, MV6 springs/shocks are no longer available from  Vauxhall?

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2014, 20:10:14 »

What does this mean? MV6 and Elite don't have the same chassis?

Also, MV6 springs/shocks are no longer available from  Vauxhall?

1 Lowered sports chassis is Vauxhalls designation for mv6 suspension, ie shocks and springs. You won't see mv6 suspension in the parts listings. And yes all other parts are the same within saloon and Estate.

2 so recent posts would suggest, possibly, yes. Depends if they have any in Germany. :-\

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2014, 20:11:11 »

Then again mv6 suspension is rumoured to be special order at best, and at worst, unavailable.

Dampers aren`t a problem AFAIK but the springs are like the proverbial rocking horse poo and alternatives are expensive, I paid £150 for front and rears for my dampers but that was with a good discount  ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2014, 20:12:26 »

Then again mv6 suspension is rumoured to be special order at best, and at worst, unavailable.

Dampers aren`t a problem AFAIK but the springs are like the proverbial rocking horse poo and alternatives are expensive, I paid £150 for front and rears for my dampers but that was with a good discount  ;)

I was lucky with my rear springs then. Iirc he(parts man) said they only had a few sets left.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2014, 20:24:52 »

yeah, I`m pretty sure springs are unavailable now  :'(

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2014, 23:09:52 »

So if I wanted to MV6 my Elite suspension, the next best thing would be Bilstein B4 shocks all round and eibach or standard springs?

Gutted that I will not get the opportunity drive a Omega with proper suspension.  :'(

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2014, 23:36:30 »

So if I wanted to MV6 my Elite suspension, the next best thing would be Bilstein B4 shocks all round and eibach or standard springs?

Gutted that I will not get the opportunity drive a Omega with proper suspension.  :'(

Don't forget I've seen your car and tyre wear, before you sold it.

Rest of you lot talk amongst yourselves while I struggle to explain why SMD doesn't need firmer suspension without offending him :( ;D

Of all the people here that need mv6 suspension, your very near the bottom of the list Mr Smd. ;)

By that I mean, all the comfort will be lost in favour of all the harshness firmer suspension gives, without receiving any of the benefit of less body roll etc. as you, er, no disrespect, won't use it. (Wince  :-[ )

Put another way, if I drove like Tunnie everywhere, the last thing I would do is firm up the suspension. You need to justify the added relative harshness over Elite suspension day to day or it just becomes a pain in the arris. Literally.

That's not to say mv6 is harsh. Just it's not as comfortable as an Elite when driven day to day plodding round in London traffic for example.

In other words , you are not trying hard enough may as well have the comfort. :P ;D :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2014, 23:45:23 »

I'm going to agree with Chris and he's going to spank me for the next paragraph.

The Omega handles like a boat.  It handles like a boat in GLS trim, CD trim, Elite trim or MV6 trim.  It's a boat with a wheel somewhere near (ish) each corner.  It was never designed to be a sports car - There is not a car ever which weighed 1790Kg could comfortably carry 5 people, luggage and go round bends like a Focus.  It's just not possible.

Spend a small fortune, and you will have a lowered vehicle, some awesome looking pictures of said lowered vehicle, but still body roll of Claire from 'Steps' when she liked Doughnuts.

Just dont.

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2014, 23:46:34 »

Re springs and ride height I wasn't clear enough earlier.

Rear ride height on mv6 is 15mm lower than stock. I suspect the reason for this is that the rear geometry settings are not achievable below 20mm from stock.

So if you want to lower and or firm up the rear from Elite ypu could;
Fit stock springs and keep the stock ride height

Fit mv6 lsc 15mm lower than stock if available

Fit a set of 30mm lower springs all round and add a 10 or 15mm thick pad under the rear springs. These can be polly or simply another one of the stock pads that all omegas have between the trailing arm and spring, so giving a rear geo that's in spec.

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2014, 23:50:52 »

I'm going to agree with Chris and he's going to spank me for the next paragraph.

The Omega handles like a boat.  It handles like a boat in GLS trim, CD trim, Elite trim or MV6 trim.  It's a boat with a wheel somewhere near (ish) each corner.  It was never designed to be a sports car - There is not a car ever which weighed 1790Kg could comfortably carry 5 people, luggage and go round bends like a Focus.  It's just not possible.

Spend a small fortune, and you will have a lowered vehicle, some awesome looking pictures of said lowered vehicle, but still body roll of Claire from 'Steps' when she liked Doughnuts.

Just dont.

Bloody BMW owners. Have I got to get the rubber mallet out. AGAIN! ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2014, 23:53:08 »

In the grand scheme of things though, Mr wife beater isn't far off relatively speaking.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2014, 23:55:13 »

:-* :-* :-*
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.