Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking down in France  (Read 5511 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking down in France
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2018, 20:14:50 »

The Silver Bullet arrived back about 10 days later, with a very flat battery that would never recover, and MDTM (on an earlier forum) suggested crank sensor, which cured it

At least I carry a spare in the 3.2. (notwithstanding Nick's disagreement with this policy. ::))
Since this issue, I've always carried a spare on long runs.  This has proved a good move the next time it failed near Birmingham...

Last one to pack up on me was on the A40 just past Stokenchurch (Well it failied in Londinium earlier but had reached site and manged to get it back so far on return)... engine may have been a little hotter than normal due to chicken shit canyon  ::) :D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2018, 21:22:16 »

In our Carlton days ( the one that later got stolen to order from a locked car park in Leicester) we went on one of our Europe trips.  This one was Spain and Portugal averaging 10 hours driving each day.

On the last day belting back through boring Northern France we suddenly ground to a halt. No doubt crank sensor. Tried to get an Opel garage 200 yards up the road to come and have a look. No chance as we are now closed. It was Saturday. So rang Breakdown company ( I think it was Green Flag) and they were brilliant. We stayed in a hotel Sat and Sun night waiting till Monday. We didnt have much cash and they paid on the understanding that we would reimburse them on our return.  Car fixed on Monday and again they sorted the bill.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2018, 21:37:31 »

I shall tell that to Mrs TB, preceded with a "somebody else broke down abroad" ;D :y

The best breakdown(s) abroad I know of, is a mate who drove from Edinburgh to Cape Town in a Discovery 2.  :y  He broke down so often it took him two years!  ;D

The two breakdowns of note were:

1) Head gasket went in Bengazi, Libya.  Unfortunately, the Eid holiday was about to start so everywhere was closing for a week, but his visa expired before the holiday ended, so he had to get out of Libya and got trucked to Cairo.  He spent the rest of Eid kicking his heels in a dusty flyblown campsite before finding somewhere to fit a new head gasket.

2) Gearbox packed up in Ethiopia.  Not sure where, but he again kicked his heels in a campsite in Addis Ababa, while a recon box was shipped from the UK.

Among a myriad of other breakdowns I think the head gasket went again in Zambia, where this time they traced the cause to a partially blocked coolant pipe somewhere.  ;) 

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2018, 21:39:11 »

I praised Green Flag earlier, but the local agent they send to my home when my crank sensor failed did not know where the sensor was and no idea where to find the OBD port either! He concluded that it was a faulty fuel pump and made to leave, when I insisted that he made a check to confirm.
He opened the fuel feed and petrol poured out when I cranked the engine!
I offered him the new crank sensor that I carried in the boot, but he did not have a clue what to do with it, so I suggested that he went forth and multiplied.
Albs (migV6) came to my rescue soon after and fitted it in a trice - thanks Albs.  :y :y :y :)

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2018, 09:09:24 »

I broke down twice in France but as I was living there I had to pay to get towed home.  Add to that both times were on the Autoroute I got royally spanked with the bill both times.

Never, ever, get a firkin French car.  Ever. Period. ::)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2018, 10:30:04 »

Fortunately the Galaxy managed to complete a trip to the centre of France a couple of years ago now without incident - and a lap of Ireland the year before that.

I don't think SWMBO could cope with a 200kmh dash across France but the bird strike would have given the kids something to talk about....

Both my previous Omegas had one CPS fail each in 100,000 miles - the MV6 hasn't failed on me (yet) but the spare is in the boot.

The Galaxy is really a VAG with a Ford sticker on it. I used to believe that VWs were solidly built but I discover some new design failure every time I have to fix it. The pump is a weak point but there is no point carrying a spare because the engine mount and cambelt have to come off to get to it >:(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2018, 10:33:12 »

I have a road trip to Paris coming up (combining a work trip with a booze cruise as the cellar is empty) in an attempt to avoid any fallout from the strikes.  I am using kitty which has been doing 100 miles a day for the last 6 moths without skipping a beat but reading all this I am a little twitchy about the drive to France now. :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2018, 11:56:12 »

I have a road trip to Paris coming up (combining a work trip with a booze cruise as the cellar is empty) in an attempt to avoid any fallout from the strikes.  I am using kitty which has been doing 100 miles a day for the last 6 moths without skipping a beat but reading all this I am a little twitchy about the drive to France now. :-\

Booze cruise? Are they still economically viable? I remember years ago tasting wine at a French Vineyard. It was very nice but when we got it home it was err not very nice. 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2018, 13:14:17 »

Booze cruise? Are they still economically viable? I remember years ago tasting wine at a French Vineyard. It was very nice but when we got it home it was err not very nice.

It's a "I'm going anyway and the cellar is empty" scenario, I never go with the pure reason of buying booze.  You have to know how to transport wine so as not to subject it to big changes in temperature.  Also bear in mind that if you are offered a tasting then the bottle is rarely opened up for you, it has been open for some time and had an opportunity to breath properly.  I often decant most of my wines as it speeds up the process.  I also make sure to spend at least 10 quid a bottle in bulk, once you take Import duties and the additional VAT imposed on wine in the UK it can compare to a 20 quid bottle from waitrose or (heavens forbid) tesco.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2018, 13:33:01 »

Back in my Euro-lorryist days, I always stopped at Calais on the way home for a few cases of plonk and never paid more than £2 a bottle.  :y

I think it probably tasted as shitty on this side of the channel as the other!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2018, 13:37:07 »

Wine? That's the red stuff that hasn't quite turned into useful vinegar or cognac  isn't it?

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2018, 13:51:59 »

Wine? That's the red stuff that hasn't quite turned into useful vinegar or cognac  isn't it?
I've drunk wine, on several occasions.
You know when you go to a party when you're young, and everything starts to go downhill at around midnight? No beer or spirits left, people starting to wander off. Well, us hardcore drinkers would refuse to leave until there was absolutely no alcohol left on the premises. If there was only wine.....so be it  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 April 2018, 14:04:51 »

I've drunk wine, on several occasions.
You know when you go to a party when you're young, and everything starts to go downhill at around midnight? No beer or spirits left, people starting to wander off. Well, us hardcore drinkers would refuse to leave until there was absolutely no alcohol left on the premises. If there was only wine.....so be it  ;D

We could usually round up enough drivers to go street racing at that point

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 April 2018, 20:28:39 »

a mate of mine who was a baker opened a shop in a prime area of York with the help of his nan,s money. before the shop opened he decided to have a short break camping for a few days in France with his wife & two small children. his nan invited herself too (much to his dismay . whilst in France he decided to go across to Spain for a night., again nan tagged along. however when the next morning came nan was still not up (usually she arose first) when they looked they discovered she had died. panicking they didn't know if their insurance would cover them for their soiree into Spain so decided to go back to France with nan wrapped in a sleeping bag & ground sheet . although they were only a hours drive from the border they stopped for a toilet break & refreshments. they was not happy when they discovered their car had been nicked. this was back in the days when Franco was ruled Spain.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 April 2018, 20:42:59 »

God that is fantastic. What on earth happened next?

Mygood friends dad took the family to Spain in an Austin A40 in 1963 I think. The road over the Pyrenees was just dirt
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.