Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
 on: Today at 14:50:22 
Started by ronnyd - Last post by STEMO
If you are going to "ban" a group of drivers who cause most accidents ... which group should it be .....  ?

In November 2018, there were 5.3 million over-70s with full driving licences in Britain, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

There were 11,245 people involved in road traffic accidents where the driver was in that age group - a rate of two per 1,000 licence holders.

For Britain's 2.8 million drivers aged 17 to 24, the rate was more than four times as high, at nine per 1,000.

The DVLA did not provide figures on whether this simply reflected that the older age group were on the road less than the younger age group. However, a separate study from the National Travel Survey suggests that over-70 drive an average of 1,000 miles a year more than under-20s.

probably not the elderly ???  :)  :)
I didn't see any mention of banning anyone.  :-\

on: Today at 14:49:49 
Started by TheBoy - Last post by Field Marshal Dr. Opti
I was out training tonight. -3 here apparently.  Was only cold for about 15 mins.  After that it was quite toasty.
There are some proper pansified knob heads around...

Been doing an induction all week, rooms are quite warm, so have had the aircon on full chat... Nice and comfortable in short sleeved shirt but one chap insisted on making a drama out of putting on two jumpers and a coat rather than asking to turn the temperature up slightly.

Given that he was doing the job, (working out on the Ramp), last year, but started in May and finished in October, he's in for one hell of a surprise next week when we start outside ;D

I will be laughing my nads off wearing a T shirt, fleece and hi vis. I can see him wearing full artic gear or asking for a job inside ;D

For me it's not about being 'ard, it's just you don't let your mates/team down.  Plus I don't really feel the cold unless I am sick. I often wear a vest jacket outside just so that people don't think I am deranged.

I'm 'sayin nuffin'. :)

on: Today at 14:47:20 
Started by ronnyd - Last post by Field Marshal Dr. Opti
I hear what you all say and in so many ways agree with all :y

However, 30 mph on local roads, that also have NO minimum speed limit, is not a sign of driving incompetence. Just remember we all will be old one day and will need our freedom to get around. If an older person, or anyone else, can still be considered to be well enough to drive so be it.

With all of us though, for the sake of the safety of others, we must hang up the keys when we fail to drive to modern standards, as my parents had to, and no doubt I will one day.

As for my comments about youngsters, and amazingly I once was a 17 year old new driver, many are actually very good drivers and are no problem at all ( just as I was ;D ;D).  However, they lack experience and do have hot head moments. That is why premiums for that age group are so high.

My point is do not just pick on the older motorist, like the Duke. Perhaps EVERYONE should undergo a medical and abbreviated practical test every 5 years. All the time we have left to actually drive cars and for them not to drive us, with ever increasing demands on the competence of all motorists, this should be the way to go.  I for one expect to give up driving, if it does not give up on me first, in about 10 years; then I'll drive a mobility scooter!! :D ;)

I think driverless cars should be just about ready for mass production by the time I become too doddery.

Every cloud..... :y

on: Today at 14:44:17 
Started by ronnyd - Last post by Lizzie Zoom
I hear what you all say and in so many ways agree with all :y

However, 30 mph on local roads, that also have NO minimum speed limit, is not a sign of driving incompetence. Just remember we all will be old one day and will need our freedom to get around. If an older person, or anyone else, can still be considered to be well enough to drive so be it.

With all of us though, for the sake of the safety of others, we must hang up the keys when we fail to drive to modern standards, as my parents had to, and no doubt I will one day.

As for my comments about youngsters, and amazingly I once was a 17 year old new driver, many are actually very good drivers and are no problem at all ( just as I was ;D ;D).  However, they lack experience and do have hot head moments. That is why premiums for that age group are so high.

My point is do not just pick on the older motorist, like the Duke. Perhaps EVERYONE should undergo a medical and abbreviated practical test every 5 years. All the time we have left to actually drive cars and for them not to drive us, with ever increasing demands on the competence of all motorists, this should be the way to go.  I for one expect to give up driving, if it does not give up on me first, in about 10 years; then I'll drive a mobility scooter!! :D ;)

on: Today at 14:43:06 
Started by ronnyd - Last post by YZ250
If you are going to "ban" a group of drivers who cause most accidents ... which group should it be .....  ?

In November 2018, there were 5.3 million over-70s with full driving licences in Britain, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

There were 11,245 people involved in road traffic accidents where the driver was in that age group - a rate of two per 1,000 licence holders.

For Britain's 2.8 million drivers aged 17 to 24, the rate was more than four times as high, at nine per 1,000.

The DVLA did not provide figures on whether this simply reflected that the older age group were on the road less than the younger age group. However, a separate study from the National Travel Survey suggests that over-70 drive an average of 1,000 miles a year more than under-20s.

They crashed while swerving around old folks who had pulled out in front of them, who then drove off blissfully unaware of the carnage they had left behind.  ;D
Do accident statistics take in to account who was at fault or do the statistics simply rely on who has placed a claim.  :-\
As always,there are good and bad drivers of all ages but, as said, not observing and adjusting to the speed limit is a test failure, weather and conditions permitting.

on: Today at 14:26:50 
Started by TheBoy - Last post by Gaffers
I was out training tonight. -3 here apparently.  Was only cold for about 15 mins.  After that it was quite toasty.
There are some proper pansified knob heads around...

Been doing an induction all week, rooms are quite warm, so have had the aircon on full chat... Nice and comfortable in short sleeved shirt but one chap insisted on making a drama out of putting on two jumpers and a coat rather than asking to turn the temperature up slightly.

Given that he was doing the job, (working out on the Ramp), last year, but started in May and finished in October, he's in for one hell of a surprise next week when we start outside ;D

I will be laughing my nads off wearing a T shirt, fleece and hi vis. I can see him wearing full artic gear or asking for a job inside ;D

For me it's not about being 'ard, it's just you don't let your mates/team down.  Plus I don't really feel the cold unless I am sick.  I often wear a vest jacket outside just so that people don't think I am deranged.

on: Today at 14:26:23 
Started by Darth Loo-knee - Last post by Carfix
The Renault is a great all rounder and dustbin and is used regularly to take rubbish (family heirlooms) to the tip.

Plus there are no leather seats and door cards to scratch. :y

on: Today at 14:00:38 
Started by TheBoy - Last post by Field Marshal Dr. Opti
Yes, of course. Currently sitting atop league two.  ::)

Beautiful historic city. Probably less likely to get mugged or beaten than in the city where Everton play. :)

on: Today at 13:57:52 
I wonder if the coppers really tested him for booze........despite what they say is standard procedure.

Just a thought.  :)

Yes they have as, you correctly state, it is standard procedure no matter who you are ;)

I think belligerent elderly royals are excluded, Lizzie. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

on: Today at 13:55:03 

I suppose we could ban both the young and the old. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 11 queries.