Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
 on: Yesterday at 22:50:24 
Started by Jimbob - Last post by Nick W
Tools that I used / couldn't have done without which I don't think most people have in their tool set are

3/4" socket set to undo the drive flange nut (a long 1/2" breaker bar might have worked but I don't like the amount of spring in a 1/2" bar)

If I had an extra long tri-square XZN spline bit I would have been able to remove two of the brake backplate bolts  and then use my bearing puller /separator set to press the axle out of the suspension arm (or I could have spent a couple of hours digging out the welder and finding suitable bits of scrap metal to make a copy of NickW's tool).

I've done five now, and none of them have been tight to undo. Torquing them is right at the end of my wrench's limit, but  access is the problem due to the back-to-front design of the hub. If GM had used a normal bolt through CV joint, instead of one attached to the driveshaft, no special tools would have been necessary.

on: Yesterday at 22:21:12 
Started by Varche - Last post by biggriffin
An Arab killed by Arabs, move on.
Couldn't have put it better myself .........

Carried, and moved on.

on: Yesterday at 22:09:15 
Started by Rods2 - Last post by Rods2
You can reduce the Aldi air compressor to £59.99 + £3.95 in the Aldi online shop. When buying online select voucher code option on the basket and type COMPRESSOR20

on: Yesterday at 21:58:18 
Started by Rods2 - Last post by iZirk
There all pretty much the same for straight HD to HD, some Free ones start to charge money if you want to other things like Partition cloning or swapping etc , I tend to use EaseUs or HDClone for Disk Cloning, Macruim Reflect is another good free one, also good if like me you do your Bak Ups using Disk Image.

on: Yesterday at 21:51:42 
Started by Tilbo - Last post by Doctor Gollum

Facepalm

on: Yesterday at 21:47:06 
Started by Rods2 - Last post by Rods2
Replacing a hdd in an old XP system where the disc is gradually failing that I use for several useful local utilities which run poorly under later versions of Windows.

TIA

on: Yesterday at 21:44:24 
Started by Olympia5776 - Last post by Doctor Gollum
A couple of, or three, points...

It might have been argued that jumping on the side of a moving tram suggests a degree of retardation present prior to falling off...  :-\

Secondly, looking at the rest of the 'stories', you really do live in an oppsed up country... Might I suggest emigrating sooner than later :o

Thirdly, she's what Jim Jeffries might consider a 2...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrMFjcxkMo4 NWS

on: Yesterday at 21:29:58 
Started by Auto Addict - Last post by Doctor Gollum
What about cigarettes, DG? They are hand-held and not attached to the vehicle.

Ron.
Depends* if it causes you to not be in proper control or not... See above :y

*Bear in mind that smoking in a vehicle containing children or any vehicle used for work regardless of the number of seats or actually being used for work purposes at the time, is now a criminal offence in its own right.

Get spotted by a short, bald shouty copper with a ginger beard on his period and they could technically report you for smoking in your company car...

on: Yesterday at 21:23:25 
Started by annihilator - Last post by Doctor Gollum
Not entirely true...

DVLA do their own enforcement. No tax/MoT is merely used as an excuse to stop already suspicious people.

The police only specifically target tax evasion if the DVLA request it.

This is unchanged from previous.

I was explaining how the police can, and do, physically stop cars when their inboard ANPR system "pings" and highlights a car they are behind or passing is uninsured, untaxed or is not registered.  Their systems are linked to the central DVLA computer records. Often though the car they have stopped for those reasons has a driver or/and occupants with a lot more to hide.

The DVLA system cannot itself stop a vehicle being illegally driven on the road for whatever reason, but they send letters out for non-payment of Excise Duty (only) and also have the vans out scanning for untaxed vehicles.  When they come across one their systems gives a "authorised" instruction to the DVLA inspector and they clamp the offending vehicle.

The DVLA can never do anything physically about an uninsured, unlicensed driver, in maybe a non-MOT'd vehicle, so that is when the police officers do their legal duty to bring criminal charges to bear and often seize the vehicle. :D
Again, not strictly true...

Vehicle Enforcement Policy – Gov.uk
PDFhttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk › ...

And..

Table 1 – DVLA enforcement of vehicle tax, registration and insurance ...
PDFhttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk › ...

Yes, the police have the ability to act independently on the offence and expeditely report it, as do various local authority departments, but ultimately, it's up to the DVLA to deal with each offence as the department responsible for collecting revenue.  ;)

on: Yesterday at 21:11:23 
Started by Jimbob - Last post by Andy H
Tools that I used / couldn't have done without which I don't think most people have in their tool set are

3/4" socket set to undo the drive flange nut (a long 1/2" breaker bar might have worked but I don't like the amount of spring in a 1/2" bar)
3/4" torque wrench to do it up again afterwards
FWD bearing puller / removal set (same as NickW's)

If I had an extra long tri-square XZN spline bit I would have been able to remove two of the brake backplate bolts  and then use my bearing puller /separator set to press the axle out of the suspension arm (or I could have spent a couple of hours digging out the welder and finding suitable bits of scrap metal to make a copy of NickW's tool).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 11 queries.