Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airshow Safety  (Read 4027 times)

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Airshow Safety
« on: 08 February 2016, 11:04:29 »

I don't normally suport these on-line petitions but this is a topic close to my heart as I display a veteran helicopter from the Vietnam War (OH6 Loach) alongside the iconic UH-1 Huey at airshows. After the tragic accidents last year at Car Fest and notably Shoreham the CAA is rightly reviewing air show safety. However, one of their proposals is to increase charges for airshow permissions and display authorisations by 100%. Airshow organizers and participants already pay significant amounts to the CAA and it is difficult to see how such a large increase in fees will do anything to improve safety bar putting some smaller shows and individual display pilots out of business.

If you want to continue to enjoy the spectacle of airshows and see pilots displaying their aircraft and skills to the public than please support the petition asking that the proposal to increase charges be reconsidered.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Airshow Safety
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2016, 15:08:37 »

Done  :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2016, 15:22:41 »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2016, 18:35:27 »

Been many a year since I last went to an airshow.Petition done though :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2016, 18:58:38 »

I think the only way that the increase in fees will help safety is to keep people away, but that will also be made privvy to the elite few that can afford to go and watch - especially on the flightline...

What a stupid bloody idea....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2016, 20:04:04 »

Signed. Whilst I feel that some questions might need to be asked about airshow safety following recent events, what needs to happen next is to patiently await the results of the various accident investigations currently underway and see what, if anything, is an appropriate response.

The CAA's knee jerk response in curtailing aerobatic performances by vintage jets, plus the end of XH558's flying will already have hit the airshow circuit hard. It would be nice to see some support from the stuffed shirts at the campaign against aviation, rather than for recent troubles to be seen as an excuse for a price hike.  >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2016, 20:07:02 »

Signed  :y

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2016, 20:28:59 »

Signed. Whilst I feel that some questions might need to be asked about airshow safety following recent events, what needs to happen next is to patiently await the results of the various accident investigations currently underway and see what, if anything, is an appropriate response.

The CAA's knee jerk response in curtailing aerobatic performances by vintage jets, plus the end of XH558's flying will already have hit the airshow circuit hard. It would be nice to see some support from the stuffed shirts at the campaign against aviation, rather than for recent troubles to be seen as an excuse for a price hike.  >:(

The reports are yet to be issued but I'd bet my RAF pension on both the Gnat and Hunter accidents being down to pilot error. Off-site crowd safety has always been an issue. In my many years on the Flying Control Committee supervising the displays at Waddington it was the one subject that caused us the greatest concern, and that was at a huge airfield. Big problem at the small sites.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2016, 22:18:39 »

How they can justify a price hike like that is beyond me  >:(
I can`t remember the pilots name, but he he used to scream the airfield in an old A26 invader.
I last saw one of his best displays at the old RN Daedalus site many years ago  8)
 I was sad to learn some time later that he had overcooked it & lost his life thrilling the crowds.
 I suppose there must be millonaire collectors & flyers out there, but the majority of owners must have to watch their budgets very carefully. 

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2016, 14:06:15 »

For anyone interested the full consultation document is here.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2016, 14:52:59 »

I can`t remember the pilots name, but he he used to scream the airfield in an old A26 invader.
I last saw one of his best displays at the old RN Daedalus site many years ago  8)
 I was sad to learn some time later that he had overcooked it & lost his life thrilling the crowds.
 I suppose there must be millonaire collectors & flyers out there, but the majority of owners must have to watch their budgets very carefully.

Extremely simple really ... the regulation, registration and monitoring regime is about to increase dramatically. Risk Assessments, Auditing and Oversight of displays will also increase. This will require far more staff and inspectors, as well as may more site visits prior to the event.

All these folks require salaries, mileage costs, overnight subsidence (where applicable), and many other expenses.

So, who is going to pay for it all if the fees don't go up ?? General Taxpayer would be a tad pissed off if the costs for a limited number of folk - airshow lovers - were all paid from "normal" taxes.

Just like the BBC & ITV everyone seems to be crying out for more to be spent .. but no-one wants to pay for anything.

Safety costs .... full stop.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2016, 16:36:52 »

Would you rather they just refused permission for any sort of display? The general public(the same people you always see on the telly whining 'How could this happen') wouldn't mind; It's for everybodies safety

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2016, 00:33:17 »

Extremely simple really ... the regulation, registration and monitoring regime is about to increase dramatically. Risk Assessments, Auditing and Oversight of displays will also increase. This will require far more staff and inspectors, as well as may more site visits prior to the event.

All these folks require salaries, mileage costs, overnight subsidence (where applicable), and many other expenses.

So, who is going to pay for it all if the fees don't go up ?? General Taxpayer would be a tad pissed off if the costs for a limited number of folk - airshow lovers - were all paid from "normal" taxes.

Just like the BBC & ITV everyone seems to be crying out for more to be spent .. but no-one wants to pay for anything.

Safety costs .... full stop.

As much as I`d like my tax Pounds to be spent in this direction. the CAA is a public Corporation.

« Last Edit: 10 February 2016, 00:39:24 by 78bex »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2016, 06:23:02 »

safety costs  full stop......

But common sense is free, and a thing most people seem to have less of year in year out, hence the continuingly reliance on others to think for the masses. That's why it costs :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2016, 09:54:33 »

But common sense is free, and a thing most people seem to have less of year in year out, hence the continuingly reliance on others to think for the masses. That's why it costs :)

Crystal balls are expensive things, and properly trained clairvoyants to operate them are in short supply, so command high salaries.  ;)

Nobody yet knows what caused the tragic accidents last year, so it's a tribute to said clairvoyants that the CAA has managed to put a cost on sorting it out, if any sorting is indeed needed.  ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2016, 10:34:04 »

Crystal balls are expensive things, and properly trained clairvoyants to operate them are in short supply, so command high salaries.  ;)

Nobody yet knows what caused the tragic accidents last year, so it's a tribute to said clairvoyants that the CAA has managed to put a cost on sorting it out, if any sorting is indeed needed.  ::)

Whilst I fully agree with your sentiments, it is an unfortunate reality that the media led masses, and the politicians who feed off them, have already been insisting that, regardless of the outcome of the investigations, "something must be done" ... it is the perennial cry of the "blame someone (else)" culture we now live in.

The CAA have become the target of opportunity, so the CAA have had to "do something", without regard to the, as yet, unpublished report into the tragedy. That "something" needs funding/paying for, so the fees have risen. QED

If I may quote from another source ...

"The Preliminary Report introduced a raft of changes that will require implementation by civil airshows and pilots, including “increased risk assessments, greater auditing and oversight of air displays, and an enhanced authorisation system for display pilots and evaluators”.
The Consultation Document makes specific reference to the safety enhancements put forward in the Preliminary Report and the associated financial cost.  The CAA estimates that the operational cost of implementing said enhancements will amount to £250,000.  The CAA is a self-funded body and in order to recover funds to adequately cover the cost of the increased regulatory work associated with these changes, it is passing these costs back on to airshows and air display pilots."
« Last Edit: 10 February 2016, 10:43:34 by Entwood »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2019, 15:22:56 »

Shoreham Pilot Mr Andy Hill acquitted

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-47495885

I'm saying nowt ... :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2019, 15:44:58 »

It appears to have worked in his case. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2019, 15:56:14 »

How is that even possible, when the AAIB investigation made it quite clear that the pilot was completely culpable  :-\

I see an appeal coming...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2019, 16:10:42 »

I don't believe the AAIB report was legally admissable.

TBH, gross negligence is a high bar to prove "beyond reasonable doubt". This is why we have offences of "Causing death by.." on the roads.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the video shows a sharp heave back on the stick seconds before impact which suggests the seat-stick interface was operational. :-X

Then again, we don't know what evidence+advice was presented to the jury.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2019, 16:31:22 »

Wow :o
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.