Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Booster Pack  (Read 7960 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Booster Pack
« Reply #45 on: 09 August 2017, 19:12:42 »

thanks, tried that (with a fire extinguisher at the ready).  the duff cell got warm and its bag expanded but no revival this time so its binned
Any cell with significant swelling should be treated with care.  Its usually one of the first signs.

I have visions of one of my quadcopters exploding mid air due to the swelling I sometimes get during use (batteries probably not quite man enough for the larger drone (rated about 50A constant discharge)).

Any swelling when charging, entire pack gets binned. End of.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Booster Pack
« Reply #46 on: 09 August 2017, 22:02:27 »

migmog, oftentimes nicads, NiMH and lithium cells develop dendritic 0Needle-like) crystals internally and short the cell out, hence it appears to be dead.
I technique I have used successfully in the past is to clear (vaporise) those crystals by "flashing" the cell by connecting it VERY briefly across a car battery. Now, care is needed; do not attempt to connect it for more than a fraction  of a second. The best way is to hold the negative terminal of the cell and quickly brush the positive terminal of the cell with the positive wire from the car battery.
Pause, and check the cell's voltage; if it has ben restored - success!
If not, wait a few minutes and try again.
This member accepts NO responsibility for any conflagration, death or maiming as a result of your trying this!
Only joking, really.....I hope.  :y

Ron.
Just remember that rechargeable lithium type batteries have a nasty habit of bursting into flames when even slightly misused ;)

Just watched Fake Britain regards the Hover board things . . . .Scary stuff. :-\
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.