Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange result  (Read 9064 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Strange result
« on: 27 January 2018, 15:51:47 »

As mentioned I got a replacement ignition switch for the 3.2, a genuine OE Febi part with the GM logo still visible. the first thing I noticed when I reconnected the battery after fitting the switch was that the radio came straight on, with ignition off, and I did not need to recode the radio??? The battery had been disconnected for a week. I also got a warning tone when the door was opened with key removed although there was nothing switched on or indicators selected. I now have to physically switch the radio off when exiting the car, as it does not go off with the ignition. As a result, I refitted the old switch again to see if it was the same, and it is, radio remains on with key removed unless switched off, although the warning sound has gone with the door open.
Secondly I was unable to synch either key to the new switch, and I am also unable to synch them back to the old switch, now back in. ??? ??? ???
I also have a spanner light on (haven't checked the codes) but I suspect it didn't like me messing with the switch.
Any ideas?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Strange result
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2018, 18:18:51 »

No codes to enter if its NCDC201x series of radio.

As for radio going on and off with ignition, I think there is a setting, I'd have to check.  There certainly was a setting on old ccr600 type radio.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2018, 18:47:14 »

What about the lack of synch? Not sure of the radio model, I will check. Its 2001 3.2 Elite, and the audio manual is massive. (I've only glanced at it in the 7 years I've owned it as there is just too much 'stuff'.) :-[
« Last Edit: 27 January 2018, 18:49:22 by Shackeng »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2018, 18:59:31 »

You have only changed the mechanical switch (presumably). So nothing to sync.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2018, 22:07:28 »

No, the electrical switch, hence febi with gm logo. :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2018, 02:49:03 »

The warning buzzer is supposed to sound when the the key is still in the barrel and you open the drivers door. A warning to remember to remove the key. Yours was sounding with the key removed and the door open. So the door open detection is working but the key in ignition detection has something wrong with it, however that's done? Is there something stuck or missing on the barrel? Perhaps a bad connection or dirt or maybe a fault in the Febi switch.

On most of the radios if the power has been disconnected then the radio will default back to ignition key control.
So yours switching on automatically would seem to fact the facts. I wonder if the failure to auto off is related to the key detect issue.
To check/change the status.
  • Ignition on
    Turn off radio
    Press and hold preset buttons 1 & 3
    Continue to press and switch radio on
    Continue to press and 'IGN ON' or similar should appear in the display
    Continue to hold and release the buttons when you hear a beep
    The display should change to 'IGN OFF' or similar
    Repeat the procedure to revert to 'IGN ON'
If the radio has had it's power disconnected but doesn't ask for the code it means that the code protection was disabled.
To switch it on again I think you have to follow the usual steps to enter the code. IE ignition on, radio off, press and hold AS button etc.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2018, 10:23:13 »

The ignition barrel, with the electrical connector at end?

Not the immobiliser ECU (the flat box with the circular ring around the ignition barrel)? Or key fob or its associated alarm ecu at base of A pillar?

If you haven't touched immobiliser or alarm/fob, as long as you are using your original transponders and fob, there is nothing to sync.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2018, 10:24:55 »

The warning buzzer is supposed to sound when the the key is still in the barrel and you open the drivers door. A warning to remember to remove the key. Yours was sounding with the key removed and the door open. So the door open detection is working but the key in ignition detection has something wrong with it, however that's done? Is there something stuck or missing on the barrel? Perhaps a bad connection or dirt or maybe a fault in the Febi switch.

On most of the radios if the power has been disconnected then the radio will default back to ignition key control.
So yours switching on automatically would seem to fact the facts. I wonder if the failure to auto off is related to the key detect issue.
  • Ignition on
    Turn off radio
If the radio has had it's power disconnected but doesn't ask for the code it means that the code protection was disabled.
To switch it on again I think you have to follow the usual steps to enter the code. IE ignition on, radio off, press and hold AS button etc.
OPs radio is likely to be NCDR201x series, thus above isn't relevant (that's for the CCR2006, CDR 2005 etc).  The NCDR series is very different :y
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2018, 11:18:55 »

The ignition barrel, with the electrical connector at end?

Not the immobiliser ECU (the flat box with the circular ring around the ignition barrel)? Or key fob or its associated alarm ecu at base of A pillar?

If you haven't touched immobiliser or alarm/fob, as long as you are using your original transponders and fob, there is nothing to sync.

Not the mechanical section with sliders and springs. The middle electrical starter ignition switch as here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Port-Febi-Ignition-Starter-Key-Switch-Genuine-OE-Quality-Replacement/351223049854?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49925%26meid%3D524bf7363fe04fa9bbb5bebcf7a3abf5%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D192286058696%26itm%3D351223049854&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2018, 11:23:46 »

• Ignition on
    Turn off radio
Thanks for all that, I will check. I'm not so worried about the lack of requirement for coding, or the requirement to switch off the radio manually, but I would like to resynch the key. As I said above the original switch GM#90 505 912, is now refitted. so according to Jaime the key should be synched, but it isn't, and won't.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2018, 11:44:14 »

Radio on/off with ignition on NCDC radio

Tuner
Functions
Settings
Ensure Mode Retainment is selected
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2018, 11:46:37 »

No coding on that device. What’s not happening Shack?
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2018, 13:25:18 »

No coding on that device. What’s not happening Shack?
I was referring to the fact that as soon as I reconnected the battery, ignition key not in, before I got back in the car, the radio came straight on without a requirement for the radio code, or even to be switched on. :-\
It is an NCDC 2013. :y
« Last Edit: 28 January 2018, 13:27:55 by Shackeng »

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2018, 13:32:16 »

I was referring to the fact that as soon as I reconnected the battery, ignition key not in, before I got back in the car, the radio came straight on without a requirement for the radio code, or even to be switched on. :-\
Sounds like another indication that the car sees a key in the ignition barrel. A reassembly error, something stuck or dropped and lost on the floor?
Was the original fault, whatever it was that prompted the switch replacement, fixed by the new Febi switch?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2018, 13:39:30 »

Sounds like another indication that the car sees a key in the ignition barrel. A reassembly error, something stuck or dropped and lost on the floor?
Was the original fault, whatever it was that prompted the switch replacement, fixed by the new Febi switch?

The original fault was ocsnly, perhaps once in 20, the car failed to start on the key, with no indications of current draw, all battery and earth connections are good, with no evidence of overheating. As I had the same fault on my TD previously, I decided to change the switch, and got the result described in my OP, so replaced the old one, and now have the issues described. :y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.