Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Major misfire on idle, 2.2 petrol manual  (Read 26486 times)

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile
Re: Major misfire on idle, 2.2 petrol manual
« Reply #135 on: 29 May 2018, 05:47:43 »

Weld (or ask someone to) nuts on top of those broken studs, and carefully screw them out. They come out very easy, done it couple of times.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 29 May 2018, 08:44:58 »

Curiouser and curiouser. Now I have 8 studs useable. I am missing top no. 1 and bottom no. 2.Here are pics.

Don't understand that. I suppose earlier mechanic failed to insert stud in lower 3.
Now right hand end is complete, I just lack upper 1 and lower 2.
I have not yet found a man to drill out and retap, still seeking him.

The top left must be prone to snapping. My top left is the one that's missing. I wounder if the left hand side of the manifold is getting more pressure and or hotter than the left.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 29 May 2018, 09:26:40 »

Thanks again Nick W. I would need some steel strip about 5mm thick, and some steel tube 6.5mm internal diameter, and would have a better chance with some new 4mm and 6mm left hand drills Obviously you have done this job a few times before, and got the tools for the job. I still do not understand how you keep the smaller drill central to the stud. Perhaps you have a stock of jigs different internal bores.

Like welding, I am eager to learn, but lack confidence to tackle a major job like this. Some while ago I purchased a 90 degree turn drill adapter, that might come in handy on this job.

I would make the 'jig' from a solid piece of round stock about 25mm long, bore the hole in the lathe with the drillbit I intended using to drill the stud, then face off the end that goes against the head - the other end doesn't matter. Clamp both parts to something flat, and snot them together - there's no real force involved and it's a one-off job, so don't spend any time on it. As mentioned by some else, the mounting hole in the flat piece would be better slotted; you can then centre the jig over the offending stud. Doing this by eye, with a torch is plenty good enough.

There's no need for a pilot drill with this setup; go straight in with a sharp, good quality 6mm. Buy one if you have to. As I have the lathe, I would make a custom centre punch to fit the jig out of some silver steel with a point machined on the end but it isn't strictly necessary.

Left handed drillbits are good for this job, as they sometimes unwind the stud once they start to bite which is always worth hoping for. My suggested sizes would be suitable for doing 6 or 8mm studs, not to be used in sequence.

Welding a nut on the end of the stud works well if it hasn't broken off flush. What you actually do is get a blob of weld on the stud, knock a nut over that, and firmly weld them together. Then you undo the nut while it's still red hot. You need to be confident of this technique, as if it doesn't work you have blob of hard mig weld to contend with.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 09:32:40 by Nick W »

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 29 May 2018, 09:54:23 »

I attach our exchange about the non-delivery. I am not sure whether the carrier has lost it, or they never despatched it.
Dear customer,
thank You for the message.

Unfortunately we have a delay in transmitting the information from the shipping company therefore currently we are not available to provide the tracking number.

We are very sorry for the delay, but we are kindly asking to wait few more days as far it is international shipping.

Best regards

Marharyta
Agent
Customer Contact Centre

ATP Auto-Teile-Poellath Handels GmbH
Am Heidweg 1
92690 Pressath

------------------------------------

-----------------
Original message:
-----------------

Order for item number 10641007 from Terry Paget BA3 2Lp United Kingdom
Dear Sir,
 I ordered this item 25 April 2018. Payment by paypal of  51.69 EUR took place transaction ID 9FF3141914003061G 13.35 25 April 2018. Item has not yet arrived. Please advise date of dispatch and expected delivery.
Terry Paget
5 May 2018

----
END

Just ordered one for mine. Thanks for the info Terry. Very good price.  :)  :y :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 29 May 2018, 17:55:53 »

Thanks are due to Nick W for the advice. It comes with a 2 year guarantee against splitting, and all necessary gaskets, studs and nuts.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 29 May 2018, 20:21:14 »

Thanks again Nick W. I would need some steel strip about 5mm thick, and some steel tube 6.5mm internal diameter, and would have a better chance with some new 4mm and 6mm left hand drills Obviously you have done this job a few times before, and got the tools for the job. I still do not understand how you keep the smaller drill central to the stud. Perhaps you have a stock of jigs different internal bores.

Like welding, I am eager to learn, but lack confidence to tackle a major job like this. Some while ago I purchased a 90 degree turn drill adapter, that might come in handy on this job.

I would make the 'jig' from a solid piece of round stock about 25mm long, bore the hole in the lathe with the drillbit I intended using to drill the stud, then face off the end that goes against the head - the other end doesn't matter. Clamp both parts to something flat, and snot them together - there's no real force involved and it's a one-off job, so don't spend any time on it. As mentioned by some else, the mounting hole in the flat piece would be better slotted; you can then centre the jig over the offending stud. Doing this by eye, with a torch is plenty good enough.

There's no need for a pilot drill with this setup; go straight in with a sharp, good quality 6mm. Buy one if you have to. As I have the lathe, I would make a custom centre punch to fit the jig out of some silver steel with a point machined on the end but it isn't strictly necessary.

Left handed drillbits are good for this job, as they sometimes unwind the stud once they start to bite which is always worth hoping for. My suggested sizes would be suitable for doing 6 or 8mm studs, not to be used in sequence.

Welding a nut on the end of the stud works well if it hasn't broken off flush. What you actually do is get a blob of weld on the stud, knock a nut over that, and firmly weld them together. Then you undo the nut while it's still red hot. You need to be confident of this technique, as if it doesn't work you have blob of hard mig weld to contend with.
[/quoteThanks Nick. Now I understand how you do the job. It is way beyond my competence, but it's good to know how experts remove broken off studs in situ.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 30 May 2018, 11:49:24 »

I have just checked out son Ben's 2 2. Bought in 2012 40000 miles ago, it lacks the 2 front exhaust manifold studs! Manifold is not cracked though, it is quiet and passed MOT on emissions last year.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 12 June 2018, 09:54:30 »

I attach our exchange about the non-delivery. I am not sure whether the carrier has lost it, or they never despatched it.
Dear customer,
thank You for the message.

Unfortunately we have a delay in transmitting the information from the shipping company therefore currently we are not available to provide the tracking number.

We are very sorry for the delay, but we are kindly asking to wait few more days as far it is international shipping.

Best regards

Marharyta
Agent
Customer Contact Centre

ATP Auto-Teile-Poellath Handels GmbH
Am Heidweg 1
92690 Pressath

------------------------------------

-----------------
Original message:
-----------------

Order for item number 10641007 from Terry Paget BA3 2Lp United Kingdom
Dear Sir,
 I ordered this item 25 April 2018. Payment by paypal of  51.69 EUR took place transaction ID 9FF3141914003061G 13.35 25 April 2018. Item has not yet arrived. Please advise date of dispatch and expected delivery.
Terry Paget
5 May 2018

----
END

I ordered a manifold on the 29th May and had not received it yet. Sent them an email on the 8th June and got this reply.

Dear customer,

thank you for your message. Due to a system rearrangement we currently cannot dispatch orders on schedule. We humbly apologize for the inconveniences. If you would like to wait for the goods, you can assume that it will be shipped within short time. We are working under highest urgency to solve the problems. Please send is an e-mail with the word ?Storno? in the subject line if you would like to cancel your order. If you have another request, we will of course process it very soon. In the meantime we kindly ask you to relinquish on further queries. Thank you very much for your understanding.

Hope I get the manifold soon.

Hows it going with the fitting of yours Terry?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 13 June 2018, 08:19:41 »

Hi Andy, thanks for asking. Not well, is the short answer.
I sg hould have popped it on the 8 studs I had, but forum advice said replace missing, so I asked my local small indepedendent garage if they could replace them. He said he could so I took the car in. next day I realised that my other 2.2 also lacked 2 studs and has passed 6 MOTs in that state, so I tried to reclaim the car, but he said they often come out easily, I said OK have a try, but if tricky return the car. After 10 days I learned they had drilled one out, yesterday they seemed embarrassed, sais could I bring in the manifold, they wanted to enlarge the holes. Oh dear.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 13 June 2018, 11:40:30 »

Lets hope all turns out OK come the end. At least once its on there it should never have to be done again.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 15 June 2018, 15:54:28 »

Hi Terry, my manifold has finally turned up.  :y

How many layers of metal does your exhaust gasket have that forms the complete gasket?

Mine has 3. Two identical and one that looks like a surround cutout of the other 2. It doesn't look right to me, having said that I've never seen one for the Omega before. Here's what mine looks like.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 15 June 2018, 21:13:42 »

MLS gasket  *multi layer steel
looks a bit ragged , did you think you had 3 and tried pulling it apart ?
you need to get the mating surface clean / smooth for MLS gaskets
not like the old fiber ones with fire rings of steel, progress  :(

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 16 June 2018, 08:39:15 »

MLS gasket  *multi layer steel
looks a bit ragged , did you think you had 3 and tried pulling it apart ?
you need to get the mating surface clean / smooth for MLS gaskets
not like the old fiber ones with fire rings of steel, progress  :(

That's how the gasket arrived it was already bent like that in its packaging.

Never seen one like that before. There are three electric weld marks that hold the three together and stick out. Looks like I will have to file them down flush carefully to make them fit flush as possible. If I wanted to fit a better one what make of gasket would you recommend one?

Thanks

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 16 June 2018, 12:36:43 »

MLS are the better type to fit, rather than the older composite type
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 16 June 2018, 12:39:03 »

That's how the gasket arrived it was already bent like that in its packaging.

Never seen one like that before. There are three electric weld marks that hold the three together and stick out. Looks like I will have to file them down flush carefully to make them fit flush as possible. If I wanted to fit a better one what make of gasket would you recommend one?

Thanks

Sorry for late reply , busy weekend .
quick search shows the PAYEN one is MLS
Elring is MLS,
 BGA unknown
If you think your going to have to file the one you have ,then it sounds damaged
an MLS gasket will seal , just saying you need to clean the mating surface of the head up(no corrosion,oil etc)
advise you don't use any gum gum or other sealant before the cat in exhaust system
tighten the studs like you would a head gasket job , round in circles ,quarter turn each nut to bite it down even
don't overtighten
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.