Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wellesley.  (Read 3345 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
The Wellesley.
« on: 30 April 2018, 13:29:38 »

Received a curt email this morning informing me that not only will I not receive the interest I am due on the 8th May, but my original investment is now worth considerably less. :-\.......possibly worthless. :'(

I knew of the risks and accept them, but as soon as any financial institution fails to pay what it should then the writing is on the wall.

It seems that the Wellesley has been lending money to people who can't repay it. Sounds all too familiar?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: The Wellesley.
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2018, 14:23:58 »

I knew of the risks and accept them, but as soon as any financial institution fails to pay what it should then the writing is on the wall.

I've never invested in P2P so not sure how it works, does you money get pooled with x thousand others, getting a slice of the overall return,  or do you lend specifically to Joe Bloggs Ltd. and if they don't pay you dont get paid?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2018, 14:34:28 »

I've never invested in P2P so not sure how it works, does you money get pooled with x thousand others, getting a slice of the overall return,  or do you lend specifically to Joe Bloggs Ltd. and if they don't pay you dont get paid?

I think The Wellesley is going to go 'tits up'

Essentially they lend to people who can't get a loan from the banks. They charge high rates of interest and pay better rates of interest so long as the borrower does not default.......which they do in large numbers. :-\

It seems the Wellesley has too much 'toxic debt' at present and I'm going to help pay for it along with other 'investors'

Until recently they claimed that no investor had lost out and that any bad debts were covered by profits.This is no longer true.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2018, 14:41:44 »

Saw an ad for this lot a while back. I seem to remember the headline rate being around 6%, so I guessed there must be a high level of risk.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2018, 14:46:30 »

Seems your not the only one who's been disappointed

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/wellesley.co.uk

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2018, 14:57:17 »

I've never been one for more "interesting" forms of investment

Maybe you should just play the National Lottery ?   :-X

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2018, 14:57:36 »

As usual, the greed no doubt took hold. :(

Their best rate seems to be about 6% so even going after "vanilla" secured loans such as used car finance (10.9% for example) would have netted them a healthy spread with comparatively little risk to their investors.

D!cks.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2018, 14:57:41 »

There is a correct response in those trust pilot reviews,, regarding p2p and it's correct p2p isn't risk free, it's clearly mentioned, so if you want 6% return, there's a risk you could lose out,, remember your Investments can go up as well as down,also p2p, is were people's go who can't borrow from banks because of bad credit...

3rd review down.
Hoof'land storeman.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2018, 14:58:24 »

Seems your not the only one who's been disappointed

I suppose I'm fortunate that my investment matures on 8th May so hopefully there is not much time for further damage. We'll see.

Lending to wide boys and ne'er do wells always had the potential to go wrong.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2018, 15:01:45 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2018, 15:07:38 »

There is the possibility of contagion.

People lose part or all of their investment so new people don't invest. Less money to cover borrowers that default.......etc.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2018, 15:28:38 »

Their website is still up and running, so presumably they are still happily taking peoples money.  ::)  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2018, 16:08:07 »

Their website is still up and running, so presumably they are still happily taking peoples money::)  :-\

Similar to DFS taking money from people for a Sofa they would never receive. :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2018, 16:20:52 »

My view is that if something sounds too good, it probably isn't good at all. Our investment manager, with our portfolio selection of low to medium risk, achieved 25% growth over the last 2 years!:o :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2018, 16:22:16 »

Its all about the fundamentals. If the figures don't add up, don't invest.The head must always rule the optimistic heart when investing.Shares in the company I work for have risen around 12% since the start of the year. I kind of wish I hadnt cashed in, but then again 325p to 495p in two and a half years wasnt a bad return.And theres always the share option to come.
Wish I had bought Sainsburys shares on Friday, but hindsight knows everything.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2018, 16:51:31 »

Their website is still up and running, so presumably they are still happily taking peoples money.  ::)  :-\
Well of course they are, there is no risk to them. They take people's money, 'invest' it, take a cut and pay it back with some interest. Their capital is not only not at risk, it is non-existent.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 April 2018, 18:35:27 »

Essentially they lend to people who can't get a loan from the banks.
Which essentially means they are a bad risk, and now we've been in another (non technical) recession for over 18months, defaults were going to exponentially grow...
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2018, 19:25:05 »

And here's me thinking from the title that it was a thread about the Vickers aircraft :D

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2018, 19:56:10 »

Good job Opti can afford to lose a few thou without too much inconvenience.  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2018, 20:53:44 »

Well of course they are, there is no risk to them. They take people's money, 'invest' it, take a cut and pay it back with some interest. Their capital is not only not at risk, it is non-existent.

That's the point though they're not paying it back, or if they are it's new investors money getting recycled.  Ponzi scheme.  ;)

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2018, 21:02:18 »

That's the point though they're not paying it back, or if they are it's new investors money getting recycled.  Ponzi scheme.  ;)
Yes...I know  :) I was pointing out that their business plan involved no risk to them whatsoever.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2018, 21:17:22 »

Yes...I know  :) I was pointing out that their business plan involved no risk to them whatsoever.

It's not a bad plan when you put it like that!  :y   ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2018, 02:52:49 »

Rule 1 when it comes to investing is that return of the money is always much more important than return on the money. ::) ::) ::)

London house prices have been falling for over a year now and there is a glut of new luxury flats with no buyers as investors don't want to lose money. Investors that have paid deposits are now losing those as it is cheaper than buying and losing even more money. This has the smell of turning into a blood bath with some developers going under. :( :( :( We are approaching the end of a much longer than average economic cycle, where cheap loose money has gone into massive asset inflation in terms of shares, bond prices, property and collectables, but fortunately unlike the 1970's not consumer goods inflation. :y :y :y

IMO don't try to sell out at the top of the market, but do what Albs has don't say I've made enough and take your profis, so you have cash to invest once a 30-50% market price adjustment has occurred. IMO the aim should be to make a decent profit and then sell, wait for the market correction and then start to buy as things recover. For brave investors there are high risk counter cyclic investments with Put Options which can make sense if you want to limit the downsize of any quoted shares you own.

https://www.forbes.com/2006/10/18/markets-options_education_center_basic_how_options_work.html#3c82b9913b2f
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2018, 08:33:38 »

Opti, since you like risky investments, check out https://www.seedrs.com/

Crowd funded venture capital. What could go wrong?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.