Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil filter conversion Part Number  (Read 4382 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Oil filter conversion Part Number
« on: 01 May 2018, 10:16:28 »

Can someone tell me if this is the correct part, for the conversion from paper cartridge to normal oil filter.  This is the part number VAUXHALL FITTING - 90144360, this is the part I was told fits and is a direct replacement for the 90412159 by vauxhallpartsuk-ltd? I have also looked for the seal between the housing and engine block and cannot find it, as was told no longer sold.
I have a 2002 2.6, with the paper cartridge but after all the stories about the body turning and other stories, when trying to undo the top and not knowing the full history of my car, I was thinking of converting to screw on filter, while doing a oil change.

Link to part: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-FITTING-GENUINE-NEW-90144360/162314358715?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks in advance for all help.
Addy

Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Oil filter conversion Part Number
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2018, 10:52:48 »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  ::)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2018, 11:37:13 »

I agree but would like to have the pieces ready just incase, the last person to do the oil change which looks like a mechanic at quick fit tightened it up to much. Hopefully the top will undo without the rest of the body trying to turn, in which case I will stay with the paper cartridge. I have the proper socket for the nut and will use a chain wrench to hold the body as undoing it as suggested else where, just don't want to try and undo it and find it doesn't undo and the body move instead and starts to leak between the engine block and housing. Or even worse the top breaks.

Thanks for the advice.
Addy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2018, 15:27:28 »

I agree but would like to have the pieces ready just incase, the last person to do the oil change which looks like a mechanic at quick fit tightened it up to much. Hopefully the top will undo without the rest of the body trying to turn, in which case I will stay with the paper cartridge. I have the proper socket for the nut and will use a chain wrench to hold the body as undoing it as suggested else where, just don't want to try and undo it and find it doesn't undo and the body move instead and starts to leak between the engine block and housing. Or even worse the top breaks.

Thanks for the opinion.
Addy
::)

Converted all my V6s. Job well jobbed imho :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2018, 15:34:58 »

The last one I had converted, was done by Daz in Stoke on Trent. I can still picture him cursing with the body because it wouldn't undo straight away.  I have found what I think is the right piece but just need it confirming, by someone in the know.  The Number given in the Oil filter conversion, (90412159) no longer is available. I was told that the part number given to me (90144360), has replaced it. If it is the correct one, then I can purchase it and Red Threadlock.

If the one on at the moment comes undone, will use it until next oil change and do conversion.

Thanks
Addy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2018, 15:47:19 »

Have you seen THESE?

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2018, 16:04:23 »

Yes thank you, just had a pm sent me by POD. It gives the link to that exact one.

Thanks once again to you all for your help. I can now get the parts in as a standby

Addy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2018, 19:35:47 »

I'm with Andy B, the later type is better.  If I was sourcing bits because I thought it was damaged, I'd source the later housing, not the spin on conversions.

Given the misinformation spread here by the usual vocals, there must be plenty being given away ;D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2018, 19:37:36 »

I'm with Andy B, the later type is better.  If I was sourcing bits because I thought it was damaged, I'd source the later housing, not the spin on conversions.

Given the misinformation spread here by the usual vocals, there must be plenty being given away ;D
Have a pair in storage, one didn't survive an oil change... :D

Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2018, 19:47:48 »

There have been several replica threads on my Smart Roadster forum over the years on the very same topic extolling the virtues of spin on oil filters .... the housing is plastic & doesn't lock up  ???

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2018, 20:09:04 »

Entire housing spun on mine the other day,so I smashed the cap off unbolted housing and slung it in a skip and went to [the superior and cheaper]spin on.No more worries over will it/won't it spin.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2018, 20:36:43 »

Yes thank you, just had a pm sent me by POD. It gives the link to that exact one.

Thanks once again to you all for your help. I can now get the parts in as a standby

Addy

You are welcome.  I was on a work PC (at work) and I couldn't reply to the thread, but bizarrely I could send a pm.

This is what I sent.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=142280.msg1853040#msg1853040

https://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/vauxhall-xe-c20xe/lubrication/standard-filter-adaptor

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=142050.msg1849498#msg1849498

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=142050.msg1849498#msg1849498

To all the nay sayers, there does not appear to be a functional reason for GM to move from Spin on to massively more expensive housing, and the cause of my leak was from the pityfull seal at the base of the housing which isn't stocked.  Given time and energy is at a premium, I went for the quickest, and cheapest and most likely to fix the problem. Even if the cost of a hollow mild steel bar with an M18 thread at either end is like being mugged.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2018, 17:35:14 »

To all the nay sayers, there does not appear to be a functional reason for GM to move from Spin on
Apart from a faster, cleaner oil filter change.

GM were in full penny pinching mode by then, so producing something that was more expensive to manufacture was a conscious effort to resolve an issue
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2018, 17:47:05 »

To all the nay sayers, there does not appear to be a functional reason for GM to move from Spin on

GM were in full penny pinching mode by then, so producing something that was more expensive to manufacture was a conscious effort to resolve an issue

It's more expensive to buy the elements but I'd be very surprised if they are more expensive to manufacture given that they are essentially selling you what's in the spin-on filters anyway, without the metal.

The reason for their adoption is probably more to aid recycling. Spin-on filters must be nightmare because you've got quite a bit of steel in them with a very contaminated element inside that's not easy to separate.

For environmental reasons alone* it's probably a good idea not to covert to spin-on.

* - after all, we all drive big V6 barges because we're rampant yogurt-knitting tree huggers. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2018, 20:31:26 »

Yes, but that's Germans resolving an issue that didn't really exist, so we got a massive filter casing(that's easy to break) that uses a more expensive filter(even though it's naked), that's harder to change(two parts to remove and refit in an awkward area), that makes more mess than the more modern spin-on(which replaced separate paper filters back in the fifties).

They should have just left it alone.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2018, 21:27:07 »

They should have just left it alone.

These days, there aren't enough engineers to go around, so "we" only fix stuff that's really wrong, and let the Design engineers design the next product badly too. 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2018, 22:52:16 »

...... so we got a massive filter casing(that's easy to break) that ......l.

Only if you're crack handed ..... never even nearly broke mine in 10 plus years  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2018, 22:58:22 »

Only if you're crack handed ..... never even nearly broke mine in 10 plus years  ::)

Yet how many threads are there that start what do I do when my oil filter housing turns when I undo the cap?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2018, 23:03:03 »

Yet how many threads are there that start what do I do when my oil filter housing turns when I undo the cap?

As a percentage of successful oil changes. ..... very few  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2018, 23:04:45 »

As a percentage of successful oil changes. ..... very few  ::)
DIY ones, at any rate.

.. and a couple more generations of garage mechanic might see them learning not to over tighten them.  ::) Just in time for us to all get electric cars. :D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2018, 16:42:04 »

(that's easy to break)
Only if you're a complete moron

that uses a more expensive filter
When I had 2 Omegas, one with each on, I never noticed any diference, both were around £3 from local factors, or £4 if I CBA to go out and got dealer to drop round

that's harder to change
I disagree that either is harder than other, although newer type needs less awkward clearing up after.

that makes more mess than the more modern spin-on
That's incorrect, and the primary reason I prefer the newer type

Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2018, 20:41:32 »

Last time I looked at them in Halfords[o.k. it was a couple of years ago]they were pricing them at about £7 for the element type and just over £3 for the spin on.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2018, 13:22:17 »

Well my worst fears happened. I could not get the top off the oil filter housing, so have now booked it in with the local garage, for them to fight with it.  If they manage to get the top off, at a later date I will be changing over to the screw on type. I have had enough of the type on now.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2018, 15:40:58 »

Genuine GM element filters can be had for £2.75 if you know where to look and buy in multiples.

Only found the lids to be hard to remove the very first oil change you do on the car after you've bought it, after that it's never been a problem.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2018, 16:45:49 »

I am hoping that it can be undone, will ask the person to make sure it is done up by hand and not air wrench, when putting top back on. The mechanic has been in the business for years, when I told him the type he said no problem. The garage does have the advantage over me of a lift.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.