Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

2.2 TDI turbo whine? is now much louder than before

(1/3) > >>

John-Ha:
I searched with turbo whine but nothing seemed too relevant ...

I have always been able to hear a little turbo whine noise but it has recently become much louder and very noticeable.  Even t'missus now notices it and I'm always looking over my shoulder to see how far away the flashing blue lights are :(.

1.  If I rev the engine while in neutral I do not hear it, even at 2500 RPM.

2.  When driving, the turbo whine seems to start at about 1200-1500 RPM and gets louder and changes frequency as the revs increase. 

3.  I think that the car is somewhat perkier and I am getting more torque at lower revs than usual.  Previously the turbo it didn't seem to do much until ~2000 RPM but it is now giving me more torque at 1500 RPM.

51 reg, 83,000 miles.

All thoughts will be appreciated.

GrahamT:
If you really are getting more boost (going faster at lower rpm) then maybe your waste gate is sticking shut.

I'm not an omega diesel expert though.

ajsphead:
Do you have any holes in the exhaust pipe, particularly near the front end. The box under the driver's seat is often a good candidate ?

John-Ha:
Many thanks for your suggestions. 

I also have the dreaded "Low beam Fld/Vision" error message so, once the weather is better, I'll crawl under it to have a look at both problems.

John-Ha:
It went into the garage for something else and they could not find any cause for it - the waste gate was OK and no holes in the exhaust.  They suggested that I just live with it ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version