Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HBV  (Read 2575 times)

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
HBV
« on: 26 May 2018, 12:16:17 »

Hi folks. I have managed to get the hbv out. Couple of questions which I have. Has anyone used the febi bilstein part. It is a lot cheaper than the dealers and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same. Also the clips are a nightmare. Anyone used jubilees as an alternative.
Thanks in advance.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: HBV
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2018, 12:21:36 »

I sem to remember the quality of genuine HBV,s isn't what it was, so might as well try the febi version.
I wouldn't use Jubilees, as the HBV is plastic and its too easy to crush or deform it. I use long nosed mole grips, although there is a tool designed for the spring clip fixings.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2018, 12:30:42 »

Hi folks. I have managed to get the hbv out. Couple of questions which I have. Has anyone used the febi bilstein part. It is a lot cheaper than the dealers and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same. Also the clips are a nightmare. Anyone used jubilees as an alternative.
Thanks in advance.

yes to both questions. The part is fine, and I never put the spring clips back.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2018, 18:52:38 »

I've got febi on mine, and used the spring clips because I managed to get the them off and on again, otherwise would have used jubilee clips, for ease of fitting.
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2018, 19:32:55 »

GM one (or the last one I bought a year or 2 ago) was £14. From a real dealer. The sort you walk into.

Not sure, for that money, I'd piss around (not withstanding concerns about reliability, but mine has been fine)
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2018, 22:24:53 »

Last one I fitted (about 4 years ago) was a genuine Vauxhall part from my local Vauxhall dealer. Not overly expensive either. Been absolutely fine.
I always try to fit genuine Vauxhall parts unless the cost is prohibitive / extortionate.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2018, 19:46:18 »

I have a HBV ready for collection from Local Vauxhall Dealer £22.08p including Vat. I was just wandering has anybody thought about moving the HBV from behind the engine, to say maybe oneside of the engine? I know the pipes would all need extending including the Vacuumn one. It would make life easier if the HBV broke again. I know some people say if not broken don't touch, but if the HBV is being replaced, would this idea not make sense?
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2018, 22:01:05 »

I have a HBV ready for collection from Local Vauxhall Dealer £22.08p including Vat. I was just wandering has anybody thought about moving the HBV from behind the engine, to say maybe oneside of the engine? I know the pipes would all need extending including the Vacuumn one. It would make life easier if the HBV broke again. I know some people say if not broken don't touch, but if the HBV is being replaced, would this idea not make sense?

more trouble than it's worth. By the time you've extended the hoses(and that's just more joints to leak) and  secured the HBV elsewhere you'll have put in more work than another couple of HBV changes. Despite all the fuss you hear about them, they're not that unreliable; you shouldn't need to change it again.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2018, 22:09:31 »

Scratching at the memory, I seem to recall that someone on here did actually relocate the HBV (I think with pictures on here), so it can be done. I'm guessing that Nick is right (as usual) and it just ain't worth it.

Ron.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2018, 09:59:04 »

As you say probably more trouble than it is worth, was just thinking out loud.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2018, 12:14:32 »

The trouble with thinking out loud is that people can hear you!  :D

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2018, 18:39:32 »

Its less than 15mins to change, including the mid-job brew.  Given that, and that it'll hopefully be ages before you have to redo it, I'd suggest not worth the effort.
Grumpy old man

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2018, 21:31:50 »

Seems to me that the Febi part is no better than any of the other after markets currently available. They likely all come from the same factory. So buy the cheapest you can find. Beware the vacuum spigot. Very easy to snap it off when re-installing the wiper motor gubbins, if you had to take that off to gain access. There is another otherwise identical GM (Vectra maybe?) version which has a protective shroud on the spigot. To use that you will need a green rubber elbow in lieu of black on the end on the vac tube.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2018, 21:45:38 »

Its less than 15mins to change, including the mid-job brew.  Given that, and that it'll hopefully be ages before you have to redo it, I'd suggest not worth the effort.

I'm not sure about changing it in 15 mins, but I changed one in a field when mine failed while we were on a holiday near Folkstone. They're fiddly, but not difficult to change.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2018, 08:15:59 »

15 mins ?  :o :o :o  I must be doing the 12" version  ;D ;D ;D
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.