Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Coolant leak when car stood for a few days.

(1/9) > >>

addy:
It probably has already been answered on here but I cann't find it. So here goes, I have a 02 2.6 that seems to lose coolant from the coolant tank so you can see the top of the thing inside the tank, after standing for nearly a week enough to put on the coolant low warning. After putting the ignition on without starting the car, pressing the brake to remove the check message, it is replaced by the coolant warning one.  I have looked for physical signs both inside the car up under the dash, in the footwells near the HBV as best I can using my hand to check for leaks. Smelt the coolant in the coolant tank for petrol smell nothing, just had a oil change and no water contaminants in it. No oil contaminants in the coolant. The car doesn't overheat and stays at normal temperature, also heater works on hot and cold no problem. I have looked underneath the coolant tank incase it is leaking from underneath, but nothing can be seen. No white or steam coming from the exhaust when the engine is running.

I know when the car is turned off there is no vacuum, so would the HBV be allowed to leak, because of no Vacuum going to it(if that makes sense)? There is no sign of escaping water from it, when the car is running.

Thanks for any replies. I do have a HBV to replace it, I just thought I would ask more knowledgeable people.

Doctor Gollum:
Did you bleed it following coolant change?

Temp to HI on both sides, fan manually down to one bar. Top up. Let it run with the cap off until the fans kick in. Top up. Refit cap fully. Run until fan kicks in. Recheck level.

Try that and report back. If it's still dropping, we can address that later :y

addy:
No will try that thank you.

Sarabine:
This site is a great site with lots of knowledge for me to learn.

addy:
Doctor Gollum. I thank you for your suggestion. I did as you said about bleeding it. When the fan kicked in it dumped loads of coolant out along with loads of air. But still the level had dropped the next day. So I did it again this time, I used a funnel in the neck of the coolant tank and filled it until I could just see it inside the neck of the funnel, then squashed the radiator hoses while the car was running, with the heater settings as you said. The amount of air still in there was amazing, it took three goes to get it all out and nearly 3ltrs of new coolant, and waiting for the fan to keep kicking in and keeping the level topped up all fun. I have checked the level for the last two days and it is on the full mark, also the radiator pipes cannot be crushed so easy like they were before the burping.  The heater in the car is really hot aswell. If the level stays ok for a while, then I am going to flush the system, as the coolant didn't look 100% the person who had it before me had used Blue, the car was built in 2001 but registered in 2002, so would it use red or blue?

Thank you, to all of you who replied.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version