Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear jacking and axle stand points  (Read 6136 times)

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
Rear jacking and axle stand points
« on: 21 June 2018, 10:39:27 »

One side of the rear is jacked up but I only have the one jack. I need to lift both rear wheels off the ground for servicing and adjusting the handbrake. I know the jacking point is on the centre bolt of the triangular plate. If I jack from here where do I put the axle stand in order for me to use the jack to lift the other side?

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
Re: Rear jacking and axle stand points
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2018, 11:38:57 »

Managed to borrow another trolley jack.  :y Jacked up both sides on rear, put wheels under car but still no place for axle stands. Guess that will have to do.  :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2018, 12:09:27 »

It won't do. Hydraulic jacks are not safe to work under.

If you're putting the stands under the triangular plates, the jack the car by the shock mounts on the semi trailing arms. Or there's a sturdy area just forward and inside of the plates if you need to work on them.

« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 12:12:30 by Nick W »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2018, 13:10:15 »

I must say that I have always managed to jack each side of the Omega up with a trolley jack, then get an axle stand under to replace it.  There is just about enough room on the jacking point plate for that to be done.

I have also used a combination of trolley jack and axle stands, with a sections of heavy railway sleeper type wood, to gradually raise the car right up to maximum height for the axle stands, then allowing enough room to also get car ramps under each wheel for maximum safety. ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2018, 14:17:49 »

With a bit of careful positioning, you can place an axle stand under the metal strap / surround of the rear diff mountings. They need to be reasonably extended though. I would always have a secondary support elsewhere, even if it is just the wheels themselves under the car on the 'chassis rails'. Don't under any circumstances place the axle stands or a jack under the diff itself as it will destroy the mountings because of the upwards force.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2018, 14:47:38 »

Taken note and have now put the axle stands under the brackets to the diff and also wheels under the car.  :y I am using two large trolley jacks and there just wasn't room to place the stands along side as well. Thanks for the ideas.  :y

I have another problem. How do I get the rear discs off without damaging them?

I have loosened the brake shoes off on both sides using the adjuster and the discs refused to bodge. I can only grip the discs in one place so cannot wiggle it side to side like the front ones.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2018, 15:06:05 »

Taken note and have now put the axle stands under the brackets to the diff and also wheels under the car.  :y I am using two large trolley jacks and there just wasn't room to place the stands along side as well. Thanks for the ideas.  :y

I have loosened the brake shoes off on both sides using the adjuster and the discs refused to bodge. I can only grip the discs in one place so cannot wiggle it side to side like the front ones.

I always jacked the back up from under the diff & put my axle stands somewhere near the the rear do-nut bushes.

A large soft faced mallet often helps a drum to let go of the hub, though on my Smart Roadster I'd to leave it a week soaking in Plusgas.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2018, 15:43:55 »

With a bit of careful positioning, you can place an axle stand under the metal strap / surround of the rear diff mountings. They need to be reasonably extended though. I would always have a secondary support elsewhere, even if it is just the wheels themselves under the car on the 'chassis rails'. Don't under any circumstances place the axle stands or a jack under the diff itself as it will destroy the mountings because of the upwards force.

But then you are putting yourself unnecessarily at risk as you position the axle stands. :o :o

As I stated, there is no reason why you cannot position the axle stands beside a carefully positioned trolley jack on the main jacking point plate. ;)

I have done that ever since my first Omega donkeys of years ago.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2018, 15:52:59 »

I always jacked the back up from under the diff & put my axle stands somewhere near the the rear do-nut bushes.

A large soft faced mallet often helps a drum to let go of the hub, though on my Smart Roadster I'd to leave it a week soaking in Plusgas.

Not recommended, but this article explains: http://www.floorjackadvisor.com/blog/can-i-use-the-differential-as-a-jack-point/

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2018, 18:07:42 »

But then you are putting yourself unnecessarily at risk as you position the axle stands. :o :o

As I stated, there is no reason why you cannot position the axle stands beside a carefully positioned trolley jack on the main jacking point plate. ;)

I have done that ever since my first Omega donkeys of years ago.

Is jacking of anywhere on the plate OK. Is that correct? I was always told to only jack from the centre bolts and with this solid steel 3 ton jack it doesn't leave me enough room to do that.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2018, 18:33:05 »

Not recommended, but this article explains: http://www.floorjackadvisor.com/blog/can-i-use-the-differential-as-a-jack-point/

It never did any of my RWD cars any harm  ;)

A quick skim through reveals .......
This will only cover vehicle that have a straight rear axle, not those that have independent rear suspension and utilize constant velocity (CV) axles;) :y
« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 18:36:18 by Andy B »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2018, 19:09:31 »

DO NOT under any circumstances jack the diff as it will kill the rear subframe mounts.

Using trolley jack, jack slightly ahead of centre bolt on front mount

Then position an axle stand at lowest setting in such a way that it is sitting under the plate just before the plate kicks up to the inner rear bolt.

Lower the jack and repeat the other side. Then jack again to raise the stands to a working height. Unless the jack is a foot wide, then it should all fit :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2018, 19:14:13 »

Or put the stands on the rear chassis rails, assuming stands are long enough.

I feel your pain, as the Shag designated jacking and stand points are impossible to use at the same time at the back.
Grumpy old man

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2018, 21:00:33 »

Well shoes are fully free and handbrake cable fully backed off and I still can't get the rear disc off. It must have been off before because there is copper grease around the centre hub. Only thing I can think of is to disconnect the rear caliper so I have access to the disc to hit it loose with a hammer. What do you think?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2018, 21:17:46 »

probably a lip on the inside of the drum ,
is it solid or just moves but won't come off
smacking round the drum section is ok, smacking the disc (where the shoes bite) is a NO no
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.