Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning the Omega.  (Read 3869 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning the Omega.
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2018, 20:42:52 »

To get your paint work clean Ron, wash the car with a decent quality shampoo using the two bucket method. One bucket of hot soapy water for washing. A second bucket of clean water to rinse out your wash cloth/ mitt (whatever your using) after each panel.
Work from the top down. You will be amazed at how much dirt will be settled on the bottom of the rinse bucket when you've finished.
Without the rinse bucket, this dirt would be getting scratched all over your paintwork time and time again as you wash the car.
After that, a machine polish with G3 or a session with a claybar would be very useful to lift off the ingrained dirt and contaminants, before applying a coat of polish.
Having said all that, I looked at my Omega today and its absolutely filthy.  ::) ;D
It wont stay like that for long though.  ;)

Edit. I use a lambswool mitt for washing, and then dry off with microfibre towels. These replace the old chamois leather we used to use for drying. Kinder to the paintwork apparently.

Some inspiration.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_vd6oKKMws
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 20:47:23 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2018, 21:26:40 »

Thanks for that, Albs; I'll go to the car shop tomorrow for those bits.
I couldn't see that video, it wouldn't open.
The Bully will say it's because of my ancient XP computer!  :(

Ron.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2018, 20:31:14 »

I invested in waterless cleaner to remove the odd pooh from the birds that hate me.  Then I decided to use it a Polish after I washed my wife's Juke.  The result if you use it to clean a car that's just been cleaned, but left streaky with water stains due to washing it on a HOT day is brilliant.
Seriously the best result I've had.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2018, 22:00:47 »

I've tried to clean my car myself but I just can't do it!!!! I hate it with a passion. However I do like a clean car all the time so I have found what I think to be a decent compromise....

Shell unlimited car wash for £12 a month.

Bring car home or wherever and a 2-minute chamois to get off water droplets. Autoglym tyre gel on the wheels and it looks sweet.

As for the interior I keep Autoglym interior shampoo and a microfibre cloth in the car and I clean the inside as often as possible.

HTH  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2018, 22:02:51 »

Oh forgot to add, I have Autoglym super resin polish too. (I'm not advertising for them by the way lol) and every so often (not sure how often is good  :-\) I cover the car. Let it sit for 10 minutes. And buff off. Holy shite the old girl looks good  :-* :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2018, 09:18:42 »

Yes the autoglym is good.easy to apply and buff off.ive also tried mer that gives possibly a better shine but is harder to get off especially if you leave it too long.these do need doing regularly thou because they seem to leave a rather thin coat that stops beading up after a few weeks.
I suppose it’s proportional to what you put in.the hard tinned waxes are the hardest to use but ultimately give the best and longest lasting results.stuff like auto-balm and harlywax seem to rate highly(carnuba)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 July 2018, 10:57:01 »

The only car that goes through an automatic carwash here is the Battlebus.  Partly because I can't reach the roof easily, but mostly because I couldn't give two hoots about the damn thing ;D

Friday's trip to the BP carwash cost me another rear wiper arm though ::)
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 July 2018, 12:01:25 »

The only car that goes through an automatic carwash here is the Battlebus.  Partly because I can't reach the roof easily, but mostly because I couldn't give two hoots about the damn thing ;D

I don't like the bp one. The bristles are too hard on the big rollers. The shell ones are soft and I don't worry about scratches. And for whatever reason the shell one is the only one I've ever found to properly clean all the wheels. Just my opinion  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2018, 12:30:41 »

I don't like the bp one. The bristles are too hard on the big rollers. The shell ones are soft and I don't worry about scratches. And for whatever reason the shell one is the only one I've ever found to properly clean all the wheels. Just my opinion  :y
Round these parts, its BP (which oes have the newer, softer brushes, or bucket and sponge ;D

Plus its nigh on impossible to wheelspin in the BP forecourt, as I've spent £100s giving it a good layer of rubber....
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 July 2018, 16:20:24 »

Wow.some of you are brave using an automated carwash with spinning brushes !
My boss used to use one all the time and all his cars had lengthways fine scratches on them !

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 July 2018, 17:47:47 »

www.gtechniq.com

Not cheap, not easiest stuff to apply but done once and done right, cleaning is easy for next 6-12 months.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.