Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning the Omega.  (Read 3890 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Cleaning the Omega.
« on: 22 June 2018, 22:26:49 »

I recently received a parcel of cleaning materials - body, wheels, glass, cockpit etc., from RCP that I never ordered, reportedly worth £20. Apparently, I won a competition that I never knew I had entered!
My question is, not having cleaned ANY car since the days of Stockinette, is that still a good material to use, or have we moved on?
Whilst I am at it, I might touch up some bumper scuffs, maybe a gentle rub down ot T-Cut, quick rattle-can dusting of primer then some Z-something silver topcoat.
Do I need to apply clear lacquer over it?
Can you tell that I'm no expert?  ???

Ron.

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning the Omega.
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2018, 01:28:28 »

Microfibre washmit for the washy bit.

Microfibre cloths are the way to go these days for polishing/interior/windows.

Costco do a large pack of good quality ones. (but you probably won't need that many as you don't do much car cleaning).

You'll be an expert again before you know it!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2018, 01:55:59 »

I DO clean it, but not personally - I take it to the local hand car wash place where nice young ladies do it for me!
I'll have to see if I have a Costco near me; do you have to have a trade card?

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2018, 07:43:14 »

As said microfibre cloths are way to go for the washing/polishing part and yes to applying clear laquer to your paint repairs.Depends how deep the scuffs are as to whether you'll need to flat/prime them before painting.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2018, 09:14:28 »

I use Greased Lightning. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greased-Lightning-Showroom-Waterless-Polish/dp/B006MDJM0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529740734&sr=8-1&keywords=grease+lightning+car

This stuff is amazing. Been using it for years. No washing and the more you use it the less you need, and the quicker and easier it gets to clean. The bees wax in it builds up to give an amazing shine that last and protects. First got it from QVC.  :y :y 

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2018, 14:06:45 »

I use Greased Lightning. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greased-Lightning-Showroom-Waterless-Polish/dp/B006MDJM0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529740734&sr=8-1&keywords=grease+lightning+car

This stuff is amazing. Been using it for years. No washing and the more you use it the less you need, and the quicker and easier it gets to clean. The bees wax in it builds up to give an amazing shine that last and protects. First got it from QVC.  :y :y

Maybe a daft question, but looking at that product it states no water required.  So, as a dirty car that requires a good wash, where does all the muck and grime go if not washed off first?  Does it not all end up in your cleaning cloth that then becomes more like a Brillo pad on your lovely paintwork, with all the built up muck and grim cutting it's way in? :o :o

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2018, 15:52:57 »

I'm with Lizzie on this.I used to see it advertised on QVC when Maureen used to watch that channel and it always puzzled me how you could spray something onto a dirty car and wipe it off to achieve a shine without scratching the hell out of the paintwork.As far as I can see the dirt has to go somewhere and that has to be on the cloth or whatever that your rubbing all over the car.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2018, 15:59:06 »

I'm glad you said that, Lizzie: SWMBO always sprays furniture polish onto our polished wooden surfaces, thinking that the dust will magically evapourate, instead of being trapped onto the surface of the wood forever! Or, as Baza said, making grinding paste for the surfaces..... >:(

Ron.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2018, 16:05:11 »

My mate tried this on my otherwise perfect but dirty bootlid.using one of the waterless cleaners he was so raving about. The lid ended up absolutely covered in scrstches so deep they would not machine polish out and ended up needed the lid respraying.maybee and most likely he didnt follow the instructions properly ,who knows but it was a total disaster none the less.
Its like the dry shampoos you can get for your hair. If youve been doing some undersealing and got covered its not likely to work is it ?
All a matter of preferance but i wouldnt use one .

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2018, 10:07:48 »

My mate tried this on my otherwise perfect but dirty bootlid.using one of the waterless cleaners he was so raving about. The lid ended up absolutely covered in scrstches so deep they would not machine polish out and ended up needed the lid respraying.maybee and most likely he didnt follow the instructions properly ,who knows but it was a total disaster none the less.
Its like the dry shampoos you can get for your hair. If youve been doing some undersealing and got covered its not likely to work is it ?
All a matter of preferance but i wouldnt use one .

The only waterless cleaner I would ever use is the one in the link. The deep shine it gave my old burgundy BMW 320 was amazing and was always commented on. Its down to the wax that's in it. I have used others and some of it is not good. The one mistake a few people seem to make is not spraying enough on to encapsulate the dirt into the cloth which stops it scratching the paint finish. After use you need to throw the cloth away and use a new one next time.

I am not saying you should try it, but I have used it on 2 brand new cars as well and I wouldn't use anything else myself.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2018, 10:27:28 »

Just wash it first (with lots of wet water ) ,get all the dirt off ,then use waterless wash
or what i do ....
wash it with washing up liquid (which strips off all old wax and dirt) then wash it again with wash n wax ,and polish it several times with a good polish .

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2018, 17:05:56 »

I'm glad you said that, Lizzie: SWMBO always sprays furniture polish onto our polished wooden surfaces, thinking that the dust will magically evapourate, instead of being trapped onto the surface of the wood forever! Or, as Baza said, making grinding paste for the surfaces..... >:(

Ron.

No Ron, it was me who stated the Brillo pad effect! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2018, 18:40:41 »

In a way, you both did - but you got there first Lizzie so I award you the points!  :y

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2018, 18:49:04 »

In a way, you both did - but you got there first Lizzie so I award you the points!  :y

Ron.

Thank you dear Sir! :-* :-* ;D :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2018, 20:37:40 »

Damn I lost again :'( :'(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.