Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spain holidays- speed cameras  (Read 2852 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Spain holidays- speed cameras
« on: 23 June 2018, 17:30:33 »

Just a reminder for anyone hiring a car on holiday in Spain.

There are plenty of speed cameras to spoil the fun afforded by those hire cars with their specially  beefed up suspension, engine and brakes.

Here is a list of new camera locations.  https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/on-euro-weekly-news/spain-news-in-english/1472899-speed-cameras-58-‘miniradars’-installed-across-spain-locations-revealed. The A45 leading out of Malaga to inland (Cordoba/Granada/Antequera has several camera locations in each direction. They issue over 600 tickets a week in each direction. Tom Tom western Europe sat nav is pretty good with their locations.

Most are overhead on the back of gantries. They now also have mobile units which just fit under the ARMCO anywhere.

You can pretend you never got a ticket but the hire car companies can use it as a way of generating revenue as there is so much basic "rent a car" competition. I heard a case the other day of a Brit being detained by the police, leaving Spain, the following year after a holiday. "You can go when you have paid your fine with late penalties"- I think it came to 300 euros.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
Re: Spain holidays- speed cameras
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2018, 17:45:01 »

Much appreciated as we will be arriving thursday night. 

We tend to take our time driving so not too worried on the speed camera thing but hope that helle hollis are fair if anything did catch us out.

Aiming to drop in to marbella but stay in cartajima for a couple of nights before heading to jerez
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2018, 18:10:09 »

Just tell them that as a UK citizen you have paid for all their fickin roads, so you will drive at whatever speed you like.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2018, 19:28:14 »

Much appreciated as we will be arriving thursday night. 

We tend to take our time driving so not too worried on the speed camera thing but hope that helle hollis are fair if anything did catch us out.

Aiming to drop in to marbella but stay in cartajima for a couple of nights before heading to jerez

In fairness hire companies the world over are obligated to follow up speeding tickets so a handling charge is reasonable.

If you go anywhere near Ronda,  Setenil de las Bodegas is worth a detour. Have a good trip.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2018, 19:48:27 »

Just tell them that as a UK citizen you have paid for all their fickin roads, so you will drive at whatever speed you like.  ;D

I'll try that in August when I'm out there :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2018, 20:14:20 »

I was always told, when driving in the forigen, watch the locals, "when in Rome,do as the Romans do."

Eg if the local is banging along on the limiter,so am I, when on nationals, be carefully when exiting the village, as that's common in France,were as in the Fatherland, it's were the limit changes on autobahns. I've noticed Spain is very random,,  But a full updated sat sat nav is a big bonus, but check the law of the land,as being notified were cameras and locations are might be an offence...
Hoof'land storeman.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2018, 20:16:00 »

I was always told, when driving in the forigen, watch the locals, "when in Rome,do as the Romans do."

Eg if the local is banging along on the limiter,so am I, when on nationals, be carefully when exiting the village, as that's common in France,were as in the Fatherland, it's were the limit changes on autobahns. I've noticed Spain is very random,,  But a full updated sat sat nav is a big bonus, but check the law of the land,as being notified were cameras and locations are might be an offence...

which is bloody carnage having just returned from a week there,glad I didn't have to drive in Rome
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2018, 09:33:31 »

which is bloody carnage having just returned from a week there,glad I didn't have to drive in Rome
I find their Chaos technique is more effective than what we have in Blighty. It seems here you are not allowed to pull out onto a roundabout if there is the remotest possibility of a car appearing in the next 3hrs, or turn right at a T-junction during rush hour.

Hence every single roundabout is now getting traffic lights, which causes queues all the time, rather than just for a few minutes at peak time...  ...and traffic lights and silly stop/start requirements for modern cars really aren't a good mix.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2018, 18:12:32 »

Spanish roundabouts. No signals and if it is two lane folk go on the inside slow lane for turning off at say the third exit. If in doubt assume the worst and do not use the fast lane on a roundabout.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2018, 19:19:47 »

Spanish roundabouts. No signals and if it is two lane folk go on the inside slow lane for turning off at say the third exit. If in doubt assume the worst and do not use the fast lane on a roundabout.
Don't forget a quick beep of the horn as you sail over pedestrian crossings and stop lines... :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2018, 10:34:45 »

Don't forget a quick beep of the horn as you sail over pedestrian crossings and stop lines... :D

Have noticed in Spain the natives are very good at stopping for pedestrians, it's the British that don't. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2018, 10:54:54 »

In fairness, I didn't get run over once :D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2018, 09:55:39 »

I recently visited my parents and borrowed a car for a few days to trek around.  The speed cameras are very easy to spot in all fairness; warning signs prior to the large gantries on which the cameras were placed.  Knowing the costs of fines I kept mostly within the limit anyways but compared to places like France where they do everything to hide them and catch you out I found the Spanish ones as easy to spot as the UK ones.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2018, 10:14:33 »

Have noticed in Spain the natives are very good at stopping for pedestrians, it's the British that don't. :)

They are also a lot more tolerant of cyclists.  Have you seen where they place cycle lanes too?  Right in the middle of the lane!  Drivers still wait patiently for Abuela to roll along at 9mph with all her shopping despite having no room to overtake safely.  It flies in the face of their driving style in general :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2018, 18:37:08 »

Talking of byciclists...

Nearly flattened one on my driving assessment...

Heading north along A23 in Crawley, and just as I approached the pedestrian crossing before the Manor Royal turning, a well dressed gent was riding along the pavement. He paused next to the pedestrian crossing, looked directly at me then proceeded to continue up the pavement having waited just long enough to make it look like he wanted to cross before the lights changed... which forced me to stop quite abruptly. And by the time he proceeded up the pavement, the lights were red.  >:(

The assessor had a few choice words... :D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.