Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Had a call from EDF yesterday  (Read 14452 times)

STEMO

Had a call from EDF yesterday
« on: 12 July 2018, 11:41:41 »

Nice, young Scottish lass asked me if I'd like a shiny new smart meter in my home. When I said 'No, thank you', she tried to educate me about the benefits of having one. Instead, I educated her with my thoughts on where a smart meter should be located. Somewhere dark, damp and smelly. I doubt she'll ring again.  :)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Re: Had a call from EDF yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2018, 12:58:15 »

Nice, young Scottish lass asked me if I'd like a shiny new smart meter in my home. When I said 'No, thank you', she tried to educate me about the benefits of having one. Instead, I educated her with my thoughts on where a smart meter should be located. Somewhere dark, damp and smelly. I doubt she'll ring again.  :)

You are pure class  Stemo   ;D ;D ;D ;D
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2018, 13:53:52 »

You are pure class  Stemo   ;D ;D ;D ;D

You of course meant the cellar  ;D ;D ;D ;D
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2018, 14:02:48 »

Out of interest, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but what are you reasons for rejecting a smart meter?

(I too have rejected them for over 10 years and have my reasons, I just wondered what yours were)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2018, 14:09:10 »

Out of interest, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but what are you reasons for rejecting a smart meter?

(I too have rejected them for over 10 years and have my reasons, I just wondered what yours were)

Turn the question around. Why should anyone accept a smart meter?

The technology makes it possible for the utilities to collect usage data from individual customers. If you want 'my' data, then you pay me, or you pay someone to sit on my drive looking at the meter 24/7.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2018, 14:14:37 »

I asked for a Smart Meter about 8 years with E-on, as I wasnt convinced the Readings were accurate, still waiting.

Based upon what I now know Im paying now for my Leccy compared to other people I talked to and the amount of Credits I get back, I'll stick as it is, thank you.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2018, 15:16:33 »

Apart from the downright nosey parkeredness mentioned by Malcolm, the main 'selling' point is that you don't have to read your meter any more (takes me less than a minute and I then know it is accurate), and you save money. Save money how? I know that, if I turn the central heating, or a kettle, or the oven on, I am using fuel. Lots of it. I don't need a smart-arsed meter to tell me that.
And even if I did need reminding, I am not going to freeze, do without my cuppa or eat a cold meal, just to please the meter.
Scottish girlie also asked me if I wouldn't rather save money than give it to EDF. Who the flip do you think is paying for the installation of the meters, I asked. Surely not the government or utility companies?

PAH! They make my piss boil.  ;D

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2018, 16:04:55 »

Fair enough, my reasons are as follows:-
1. Privacy.
2. Cost, it's £300 per meter. You don't pay that, the leccy company do, who them slap it on your bill in hidden format.
3. The security involved in these meters is pittiful. I mean it's so easy to hack that it's a joke. Now hacking a meter might sound dull, but image changing your readings or even cutting your supply off. Yes they can cut the power with a press of a button. NO THANKS!

When you consider we are indirectly paying for this meter, then when they realise they are crap and need to be replaced, we'll pay again! The longer you can hold out, the more money the consumers will save.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2018, 16:30:46 »

Once a tangible benefit can be demonstrated I may well be in (dynamic charging for example where electricity cost constantly fluctuates so you can take advantage of cheap, excess electrons).

At the moment, I would have to:
- Take time out from doing something else to wait for some half trained chimp to come round and fit it,
- put up with the embuggarernce when it goes wrong,
- potentially be limited when looking to switch supplier

All for the pleasure of providing my electricity supplier with valuable personal data for them to use to work out how to screw me out of more of my hard-earned.

In case you were wondering, I've recently had the same chat with a lady from Scottish Power  ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2018, 18:17:13 »

We were nagged for ages to get one, and finally caved it. Fitted a few weeks ago . . . .

1. Unable to use it for gas due to the current meter location

2. Soon after . . . . . . I switched ! to BULB

No reaction yet

My energy bills are/were HUGE. Last quarter over £1k ! It'll be interesting to see if they come down. I know that Bulb have vastly underestimated what my usage will be. They are taking £103 per month. I WISH !

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2018, 18:37:33 »

We were nagged for ages to get one, and finally caved it. Fitted a few weeks ago . . . .

No reaction yet

My energy bills are/were HUGE. Last quarter over £1k ! It'll be interesting to see if they come down. I know that Bulb have vastly underestimated what my usage will be. They are taking £103 per month. I WISH !
£1K a quarter is ridiculous! I use £180 a month during December, January and February but only used £40 last month.
I switched to Bulb but changed my mind when I received an email saying prices were rising on the very next day. It was not easy to cancel the switch, they had already set the direct debit up after 24 hours. Emails and phone calls seem to have no effect, so I cancelled the dd and told my current supplier to refuse the switch.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2018, 19:19:30 »

No reaction yet

£1K a quarter is ridiculous! I use £180 a month during December, January and February but only used £40 last month.
I switched to Bulb but changed my mind when I received an email saying prices were rising on the very next day. It was not easy to cancel the switch, they had already set the direct debit up after 24 hours. Emails and phone calls seem to have no effect, so I cancelled the dd and told my current supplier to refuse the switch.

Some explanation, we do AirBnB. So quite high washing/laundry/hot water energy usage (yes, we change bedding between guests  ::) )  but not that much. Thus the switch.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2018, 20:54:27 »

Pay as you go smart meters are quite good as they remotely charge the meter up when you buy gas or leccy in the shop.   :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2018, 22:18:19 »

Smart meter free b*llocks we all pay for them in increased bills. I have an inbuilt smart meter it's called a brain, leave a room turn the light off, only put enough water in the kettle that you need, if the weather is warming up turn the heating down accordingly etc. etc etc.Not rocket science.  :y   
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2018, 00:32:42 »

we got badgered to have a smart meter @ the end of last year & declined  :P
Apparently  about 6 million have been installed already in the UK
Now the industy are saying we need a standardized  & secure communication system for the meters  ::)
So very late in the day & proberbly not until the end of this year, will the preferred meters start to be installed. It`s called SMETS2
So if you`ve got the old tech (SMETS1)  & switch, the currently installed smart meter becomes a dumb meter again & I bet there`s no obligation to give you a free upgrade.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.