Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chip Tuning 2.6 V6 (Petrol)  (Read 7629 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Chip Tuning 2.6 V6 (Petrol)
« on: 02 August 2018, 06:47:25 »

Hello

Now and then I see products like this promising increased power, fuel economy etc. What is present opinion of those. Discussed here earlier but difficult to get understanding is it worth doing. I have autobox AR-25.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chip-Tuning-Box-OPEL-OMEGA-B-2-6-V6-132kW-180HP-Petrol-Performance-CS2/282998777208?fits=Car+Make%3AOpel%7CModel%3AOmega+B&hash=item41e40aa578:g:ngUAAOSwjzJbGS6o

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Chip Tuning 2.6 V6 (Petrol)
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2018, 07:25:41 »

Better off buying magic beans and put them in the glove box.  That would add more power!

What you want is an ECU map/flash, not tuning box.

Zirk on here is best to comment, think he has his done.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2018, 07:47:04 »

Better off buying magic beans and put them in the glove box.  That would add more power!

OK, thanks, let's wait Zirk to comment. In the meantime could you please explain what "Map/Flash" means. Is it up-to-dating ECU?

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2018, 07:58:14 »

Agree with Tunnie here & magic beans . . .but even if it does work , the weak link if more power is available or gained  on a 2.6 . . . is the AR25  transmission  ::) ::)
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2018, 08:46:18 »

OK, thanks, let's wait Zirk to comment. In the meantime could you please explain what "Map/Flash" means. Is it up-to-dating ECU?

Yes it’s an update, 3.0/2.5’s you could replace the chip. 2.6 & 3.2 need to be re-written.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2018, 12:10:07 »

OK, just checked with my code reader data from my ECU, there are several numbers e.g.

System Supplier ECU Software number 1037360515 and
Version Number 0D41

Programming Date 20001201 (perhaps Dec 1. 2000)
Calibration Date 21130401 (this is not clear, perhaps a typing error of the calibrator person, remember I got a letter from GM in 2004 to get something to ECU.

So what is the latest version of ECU and what is the difference in practice to the present version. Do I have to go to dealer? (in Finland)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2018, 12:45:44 »

It would be a dealer job to check that it has the latest software on it... This would include gearbox, abs, climate control, engine ecu and possibly headlights if Xenons are fitted.

What they charge for this will be anything from a finger to a kidney  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2018, 15:11:13 »

Hello

Now and then I see products like this promising increased power, fuel economy etc. What is present opinion of those. Discussed here earlier but difficult to get understanding is it worth doing. I have autobox AR-25.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chip-Tuning-Box-OPEL-OMEGA-B-2-6-V6-132kW-180HP-Petrol-Performance-CS2/282998777208?fits=Car+Make%3AOpel%7CModel%3AOmega+B&hash=item41e40aa578:g:ngUAAOSwjzJbGS6o
Dont waste your time or money on eBay Tunning Boxes for the Omega (or any Non Turbo'ed Engine for that matter), they are just MAF Foolers, in its simplest form can be a resistor added inline with the Maf Sensor to change the resistive/inductive Maf Valve into to fooling the ECU that more Air or Cold Air is being fed into the Intake and get the ECU to over Fuel, your just bugger the ECU workings, plus modern systems will detect this with exhaust sensors and attempt to re adjust the ECU fueling back anyway.

On the second part of the post I believe the OP is confusing an ECU Update with a ReMap, an ECU update from the Dealer is simply that, and will not increase Power. An After Market ReMap (or ReChip) is designed to change the ECUs Memory Map for increased Performance, MPG, Power and Torque, although these increased gains on Aspirated Engines are minimal when compared to Turbo Engines.

On the Omega V6's, the early Non DBW, 2.5 and 3.0 had there Map Data stored in an Eprom (Read Only Chip) and therefore the only way to change the Map Data was to replace the Eprom with another Re Programmed Eprom (Re Chip, Chipped, SuperChip etc to name a few), on the later DBW V6's the Map Data was stored by Flashing to the Memory, meaning the Map Data is stored and can be reprogrammed without changing any Chip Hardware (ie known as ReMap, ECU ReFlashing etc). The basic process between the terms ReChip and ReMap is the same, its just a question of how its done, although admittedly there is a vast difference between the early 1980's type Engine ECUs and modern day ECUs.

Ive ReMapped both 3.0, 2.6 and 3.2 Omega's with moderate to reasonable results in Power, Driveabilty and increased MPG, but dont expect it to transform your Car into something it was never meant to be, only noticeable gains can be achieved, if you can add a better free flowing Exaust System with the ReMap then you will see better gains. The 3.2 is probably the one thats most noticeable with a decent ReMap, especially if you can get the Map Data to be rid of all the Tree Hugging elements that are built into the original.

As for your 2.6, a set of G Cams will improve BHP on there own, but add that with a decent Remap and better exhaust system and you will see good gains, Torque wise though its never going to be as good as a 3.2. As for your AR25, without shooting myself in the foot, I personally wouldnt worry,  I doubt if your going to achieve the increased Torque which is normally what kills these boxes off, although if your thinking of upgrading to a AR35 that is a worth while upgrade anyway.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2018, 15:29:14 »

Thanks zirk for professional answer, now this is clear and that is why I asked this forum. So better to concentrate on "magic beans and put them in the glove box..."

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2018, 15:36:10 »

Thanks zirk for professional answer, now this is clear and that is why I asked this forum. So better to concentrate on "magic beans and put them in the glove box..."
Youre welcome, I wouldnt rule out getting a set off G Camshafts from a 3.0 or 3.2 and get them replaced next time you do a CamBelt Change, G Cams swop on there own will give you 15 to 20 Bhp more.  ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2018, 15:28:30 »

Youre welcome, I wouldnt rule out getting a set off G Camshafts from a 3.0 or 3.2 and get them replaced next time you do a CamBelt Change, G Cams swop on there own will give you 15 to 20 Bhp more.  ;)

I did my 2.5 but was disapointed with the results,certainly more power at the top end but mine seemed to lose torque low down which being auto made it feel a little tardy unless pressing on :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2019, 20:30:17 »

Hello

Dont waste your time or money on eBay Tunning Boxes for the Omega (or any Non Turbo'ed Engine for that matter), they are just MAF Foolers, in its simplest form can be a resistor added inline with the Maf Sensor to change the resistive/inductive Maf Valve into to fooling the ECU that more Air or Cold Air is being fed into the Intake and get the ECU to over Fuel, your just bugger the ECU workings, plus modern systems will detect this with exhaust sensors and attempt to re adjust the ECU fueling back anyway.

On the second part of the post I believe the OP is confusing an ECU Update with a ReMap, an ECU update from the Dealer is simply that, and will not increase Power. An After Market ReMap (or ReChip) is designed to change the ECUs Memory Map for increased Performance, MPG, Power and Torque, although these increased gains on Aspirated Engines are minimal when compared to Turbo Engines.

On the Omega V6's, the early Non DBW, 2.5 and 3.0 had there Map Data stored in an Eprom (Read Only Chip) and therefore the only way to change the Map Data was to replace the Eprom with another Re Programmed Eprom (Re Chip, Chipped, SuperChip etc to name a few), on the later DBW V6's the Map Data was stored by Flashing to the Memory, meaning the Map Data is stored and can be reprogrammed without changing any Chip Hardware (ie known as ReMap, ECU ReFlashing etc). The basic process between the terms ReChip and ReMap is the same, its just a question of how its done, although admittedly there is a vast difference between the early 1980's type Engine ECUs and modern day ECUs.

Ive ReMapped both 3.0, 2.6 and 3.2 Omega's with moderate to reasonable results in Power, Driveabilty and increased MPG, but dont expect it to transform your Car into something it was never meant to be, only noticeable gains can be achieved, if you can add a better free flowing Exaust System with the ReMap then you will see better gains. The 3.2 is probably the one thats most noticeable with a decent ReMap, especially if you can get the Map Data to be rid of all the Tree Hugging elements that are built into the original.

As for your 2.6, a set of G Cams will improve BHP on there own, but add that with a decent Remap and better exhaust system and you will see good gains, Torque wise though its never going to be as good as a 3.2. As for your AR25, without shooting myself in the foot, I personally wouldnt worry,  I doubt if your going to achieve the increased Torque which is normally what kills these boxes off, although if your thinking of upgrading to a AR35 that is a worth while upgrade anyway.

Sorry for refloating but I have a question about this. I have a 2,6 model with 3.0 engine and all 2,6 electronic and lpg conversion. I'm having problems with the lambda probe and the problem could come from a bad mix. It´s possible Remap wiht the 3,0 improved map the 2,6 ECU? Can you do it?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2019, 21:32:45 »

You could fit an ecu from the 3.2 (with transponder ring and key chip).

It will probably run better :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2019, 22:03:50 »

You could fit an ecu from the 3.2 (with transponder ring and key chip).

It will probably run better :y

The question is the RC I think, 3.0 is bigger than 2,6-3,2, but 3.2 wold be a solution

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2019, 22:29:18 »

Hi Zirk, your inbox is full :y
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.