Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 petrol manual estate overheating  (Read 1255 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
2.5 petrol manual estate overheating
« on: 04 August 2018, 19:26:22 »

10 mile test drive this afternoon. After 8 miles temperature gauge went up tp 100 degrees and the overheating icon came on. I came straight home, temperature fell slightly, the fan was running. Warm day I know, but why did it overheat? Clogged radiator?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 petrol manual estate overheating
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2018, 19:51:56 »

Could you have disturbed plug for coolant temp sensor or the wire for the temp sender[it's only a single wire with a spade connector so easily done] both are on coolant bridge-I take it this is the same car you've just been doing crank sensor on?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2018, 20:45:57 »

Could you have disturbed plug for coolant temp sensor or the wire for the temp sender[it's only a single wire with a spade connector so easily done] both are on coolant bridge-I take it this is the same car you've just been doing crank sensor on?
Yes, same car, and I have had the plenum off. I would have thought that a disturbed connection would give no reading,  not a high and rising  reading. I suspect the sensor for the fan is in the radiator, and that was triggered too.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2018, 07:46:01 »

Yes there are two thermoswitches in the radiator to trigger the fans[one just below top hose the other a bit further down]just trying to figure out why it would suddenly show such a high temperature if it had shown no signs of doing so previously,which is why I suggested possibility of disturbed coolant temp sensor[which I believe feeds info to the ECU]or sender unit[feeds dash gauge]while you've had your hands down in that area/pulled the wiring about a little.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2018, 08:40:24 »

Yes, same car, and I have had the plenum off. I would have thought that a disturbed connection would give no reading,  not a high and rising  reading. I suspect the sensor for the fan is in the radiator, and that was triggered too.

If you earth the blue wire for the temp gauge sensor, the gauge will show 'hot'

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2018, 10:28:15 »

Yes there are two thermoswitches in the radiator to trigger the fans[one just below top hose the other a bit further down]just trying to figure out why it would suddenly show such a high temperature if it had shown no signs of doing so previously,which is why I suggested possibility of disturbed coolant temp sensor[which I believe feeds info to the ECU]or sender unit[feeds dash gauge]while you've had your hands down in that area/pulled the wiring about a little.
Thanks. I presumed the spade conector fed the dash gauge and the plug on connector the ECU, also the 2 sensors in the radiator controlled the fans. As the fans were running and the dash gauge showed hot I concluded things were really hot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.