Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Engine running OK but feels 'flat', I think the vacuum powered flaps not working

(1/6) > >>

malcy_p:
Hello again!

Not been in here for ages - but I still love and cherish my last Omega (a 2.6 auto, 2003).

Anyway, she's been good for years, but now she has a problem. From what I can work out the problem is that the vacuum powered 'flaps' in the induction tract are not working. I've pulled and examined the various vacuum pipes (large and small) from the manifold to the brake servo etc. and they look good, the rubber joiners are fine etc.

I guess someone has come across this before, but if the vacuum isn't reaching the valves, what is the best test?

* Should I remove the vacuum box and suck/blow (fnarr!) down the pipes?
* What does this feel like?
* Do these items often fail?
* Is there an clearly marked 'in' and 'out' for the testing?
If any of you wonderful people could point me in the right direction, I'll be very grateful...  :)

/malc.

terry paget:
Hi Malc, great to hear from you again.
As I expect you are aware, there are 2 dual ram devices on the Omega V6s, one in the bagpipes and one in the plenum. If a valve is stuck open the engine will seem 'flat' at low and medium rpm. They open at quite high rpm, I think there is a guide in the maintenance section. They can stick, too, in which case removal and cleaning and oiling will effect a cure. Both get their vacuum from the reservoir at the bottom the bagpipes, and are switched on and off by electric switches.

malcy_p:
 :) Hello Terry - long time no speak but great to 'see' you on line again!  :D

I'll have another look at the problem tomorrow, but I'd spent an hour or so reading stuff on here - I think I've learned a lot so far.

Quick question - am I saying the right thing in this image?? :) 

Thanks.

terry paget:
Here's the guide
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90513.0

malcy_p:

--- Quote from: terry paget on 17 August 2018, 21:41:14 ---Here's the guide
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90513.0

--- End quote ---

Thanks Terry - will let you know how I get on!

/malc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version