Chat Area > General Car Chat

VW 2.0l Passat DTI DSG

(1/3) > >>

shyboy:
Thinking of buying one of these about 4/5 years old as a replacement for the 3.2 Omega when I can eventually decide to let it go.
As I've now had to accept that arthritis etc. means that my spanner wielding days are over, except for light stuff, I will have to have major servicing done by my favourite independent garage as and when required.
As you might expect, my first consideration is the usual cambelt/water pump conundrum, (closely followed by Direct Shift Gearbox). Initial investigation online suggests 80k/4years being the current opinion amongst Passat owners, seemingly having been reduced from 120k for all the usual reasons. Does anyone have any different opinions on this, and is there any good reason why these figures are higher than the usual Omega recommendations.
I may end up with a vehicle with say 50k on the clock, which would tempt me to factor in the cost of cambelt/water pump work anyway, for piece of mind, as this will probably be my last car purchase before the grim reaper calls.  ;D

Doctor Gollum:
VW might say 60k, Seat 70k and Skoda 80k.

Certainly, when pressed, Seat conceded that 80k was fine within warranty.

Waterpump is a no brainer as if left will probably fail at 100/120k and changing it will mean redoing the belt ::)

DSG best avoided unless buying new...

Keith ABS:
 Yea, DGS very expensive if it goes wrong.
Standard auto would be better in the long run but would not have the fun factor

Keith ABS

Andy B:

--- Quote from: Keith ABS on 19 August 2018, 12:00:31 --- Yea, DGS very expensive if it goes wrong.
Standard auto would be better in the long run but would not have the fun factor

Keith ABS

--- End quote ---

Not sure the option of a proper auto was offered ....  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:
It's the 'derv' element of the equation I'd be concerned about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version