Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faulty Tyre?  (Read 2072 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Faulty Tyre?
« on: 22 August 2018, 22:09:41 »

Back in February I treated my Mondeo to a set of Runway 926 Performance tyres at the princely sum of £66 a corner.  :y

About a month ago I had a puncture on the front off side, but when I took it into the tyre shop they couldn't find anything wrong with the tyre or the rim and were baffled as to why it went down.  :-\   They pumped it up, refitted it, sent me on my way and it's been fine since.  :y

The weekend before last the near side front suddenly went down, and I changed the wheel by the side of the road in the rain  >:( , chucked it in the boot and went on my way with the space saver.  Later on I pumped the tyre up at the services, with the intention of refitting in the morning if it stayed up.  In the morning however, although the tyre had stayed inflated, the inside side wall was all out of shape with a couple of 'eggs' and a big section that looked over inflated.  The outside side wall was normal.  Needless to say I didn't refit and had a slow ride home on the space saver.  :D

The tyre is only 6 months old, has done 5000 miles and has 6mm of even tread left, so I'm wondering if it has a manufacturers fault and is it worth tackling the supplying tyre shop?   :-\ 

Wadja fink?  ???

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

Re: Faulty Tyre?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2018, 22:26:46 »

Definitely. A tyre is a consumer product just like anything else, and the manufacturer should be interested in finding out why the tyre failed in such a catastrophic way. I would also let trading standards know, because if you don't,and other people don't, then any pattern of failure will never be recorded.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2018, 00:00:53 »

He's right.
Which is bloody difficult to write :)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2018, 06:24:37 »

Do you bump the car up and down kerbs? Ive know this to cause problems on the inside edge of tyres  ;)

Similarly if you keep hitting potholes, I suppose this would have the same effect  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2018, 10:05:49 »

No but I'm sure that the tyre shop will say this is what I have done.  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2018, 10:06:59 »

No but I'm sure that the tyre shop will say this is what I have done.  ::)
I'd keep my eye on the other one too.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2018, 10:08:24 »

That's the thing I bought a complete set.  No problems with the rears so far, but.....  :-\

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2018, 11:42:36 »

2 tyres suddenly went down for no obvious reason.
1 of those now with eggs in it .
Rest of tyres SEEM ok ? . All same tyres.
I think i would definately going back to have a nice polite word with the tyre place you got them and getting them swapped for a different set/ different make ?  Surely they would agree with you and wouldnt want to be responsible for the carnage that could have happenned. .?
Its a bit too much of a co incidence .2 tyres for no reason ?

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2018, 15:25:42 »

Worth reading this page as each batch of tyres are traceable from a sidewall barcode and I would suggest you contact Runway tyres directly with your issues. Don't forget with a failure at speed you are a passenger in the lap of the gods and luck. :o :o :o Many years a go several children were killed in a coach crash due to tyre failure. This was due to foreign objects in the sidewall caused by debris falling from the inside of the roof where it was being repaired while the production line was running in the tyre factory. :-[ :'(

http://www.runwaytires.com/en/company_profile
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2018, 16:39:06 »

A few years ago I bought a set of tyres for the rear axle on my Omega, but at motorway speeds I had a nasty vibration.  Thinking that they hadn't balanced the wheels properly I went back and they checked but there was no problem.  :-\

I went back 2 or 3 times after to the point that things were getting bad tempered.  ::)  Then I went to the Indy garage that I used at the time and they had it for a day and concluded that the tyres were out of shape.

Eventually after a lot of argument, the tyre shop conceded and replaced the tyres.  I feel that this will be a similar battle, but I will take it in on Saturday morning and will report back!  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2018, 16:49:50 »

A few years ago I bought a set of tyres for the rear axle on my Omega, but at motorway speeds I had a nasty vibration.  Thinking that they hadn't balanced the wheels properly I went back and they checked but there was no problem.  :-\

I went back 2 or 3 times after to the point that things were getting bad tempered.  ::)  Then I went to the Indy garage that I used at the time and they had it for a day and concluded that the tyres were out of shape.

Eventually after a lot of argument, the tyre shop conceded and replaced the tyres.  I feel that this will be a similar battle, but I will take it in on Saturday morning and will report back!  :y

Kick them in the balls.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2018, 17:00:53 »

Kick them in the balls.

I knew I could rely on you for some sage advice M'lud!  ;D  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2018, 08:50:53 »

Might be a hard battle, as the sidewall damage could have been done by driving with it as it started to go down.  I have had some success it getting partial refunds on tyres that have showed signs of faults.

Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2018, 10:03:34 »

Might be a hard battle, as the sidewall damage could have been done by driving with it as it started to go down.  I have had some success it getting partial refunds on tyres that have showed signs of faults.

I'm sure this is what they will claim, along with accusations of kerbing.   I'm not optimistic TBH.  :-\

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2018, 16:16:39 »

Thing thats making me wonder thou is,,,,, how does a tyre suddenly go down on its own quickly and then show no signs of a puncture or rim damage etc ,,and then can be  blown back up and stay up ?   A hole cannot repair itself so you would be thinking a rim leak.either the tyre has moved away from the rim by either rubbing a curb or enthusiastic cornering but either way its unusual.
See what they say tommorow but it would be nice to see them changed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.