Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: router reinstalling advice pls  (Read 1607 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
router reinstalling advice pls
« on: 08 September 2018, 11:21:45 »

My linksys e1200 works  fine but was setup on a now defunct PC and I need to make some changes like adding another PC.

My plan is to press the factory reset button on the router and then proceed as a new install via my new windows PC using their setup software.

This seems a great plan but will I encounter issues with router’s network name (SSID) and password ? Or do those also go when you press the factory reset button?

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: router reinstalling advice pls
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2018, 11:50:52 »

Do you know the admin password?
If so, try pointing a web browser at it and using the web interface on the router to set it up.
Otherwise, the reset button normally defaults the admin password, yes.
It will also default the IP connection settings, so you may not be able to access it in the normal way. Best to connect it directly to a PC and use the default IP address.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2018, 12:24:32 »

No don't know the admin password. Should have "written" it down but never envisaged the death of my old PC ( never learn...)

Right I will have some lunch and bite the bullet afterwards. I remember it being straightforward to set up and change via the interface.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2018, 12:34:22 »

No don't know the admin password. Should have "written" it down but never envisaged the death of my old PC ( never learn...)

Right I will have some lunch and bite the bullet afterwards. I remember it being straightforward to set up and change via the interface.
Don't have a 'Spanish' lunch, you'll fall asleep for the afternoon if you do.  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2018, 14:34:58 »

Don't have a 'Spanish' lunch, you'll fall asleep for the afternoon if you do.  ;D
I thought that was a recognised course in a Spanish meal - usually comes somewhere between desert and digestif. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2018, 15:45:59 »

piece of cake. 30 minutes and all devices connected plus one new.

Now I am tussling with next project. I have a very long ethernet cable to a no wifi signal area of the house and want to put a Linksys RE1000 wifi extender ( I can hear The Boy sigh from here....) on the end of it .  Might have to have a siesta first to get over the excitement and of course the lunch. ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2018, 08:31:27 »

I don't think that's what you want, Varche. Reading the manual it looks like the ethernet port on the RE1000 is for connecting computers to your network, not the extender to your network..

A WiFi extender is designed to receive a weak WiFi signal and re-broadcast it, so if there's no WiFi where you want to put it, it won't work; what you want is a WiFi access point - try a Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro or something of that ilk - that can be hung off the end of a wired connection to create a WiFi network (which can be on the same SSID as your other access point).

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2018, 08:41:44 »

After what seems to be a lot of timespent  trying to make it work, i am glad you have pointed that out.

I will have a look at the access point device  you  mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion.  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2018, 13:39:14 »

hmm. Just back from our local town. I thought the computer shop owner was having a laugh when his price(not in stock of course) for Ubiquiti access point was over 300 euros.

Just had a look on the bay and they are quite a lot of money. value if you are providing a hotspot in a café. You can see why I was suckered into the RE1000 for £25 approx.

Any cheaper suggestions ? e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linksys-LAPN300-EU-WiFi-N300-PoE-Access-Point-WLAN-Technologie-des-Stand/382510383239?epid=1534414348&hash=item590f654087:g:qmcAAOSwgslbF7Jc

You can see a Linksys product theme here. Not very future proof with no 5Ghz option but bearing in mind we have monthly limit on internet usage and live in the dark ages really.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2018, 13:56:18 »

I'm not familiar with the device you have, but sometimes they can be configured into different modes - Access Point, Repeater, bridge, etc.

Failing that, something like this is all you need (no experience of the actual device shown):

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/tp-link-tl-wa801nd-300mbps-wireless-n-access-point/tl-wa801nd.html

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2018, 14:54:55 »

Kevin. That looks more my sort of product. Cheap and cheerful :y

I haven't given up on the Linksys device. I have learnt a lot these last few days but doubtless just made a small scratch on the surface. I am also going to try the router upstairs in a different place and fiddle with settings and updates. That is proving difficult to lengthen all my neat cabling plus interruptions. Just been out to look at two juvenile Hispanic cabra  ( a sort of wild goat) 50 yards from the house. Ten years ago they were as rare as hen's teeth.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2018, 15:44:55 »

Mmm. Curried Goat for tea, then. ;)

It might be worth having a look at the configuration web interface of the device you have. Often the installation software does the bare minimum to get it working but in the web interface you can set all sorts of other things.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2018, 17:43:24 »

I'd avoid that Linksys one Varche. Irrespective of if its badged Linksys or Cisco.  They are troublesome.

I'd suggest one from the ubiquiti range, or if you must keep it cheap, TP Link.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.