Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Student loans repaid  (Read 2899 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Student loans repaid
« on: 21 September 2018, 09:55:05 »

Today, the last Direct Debit for my student loan repayment left my bank account, meaning that this year both SWMBO and I will join the ranks of the estimated 30% of students who actually pay back their loans.

A very useful £400pcm to add back into the kitty, but in some ways a sad moment, my youth now feels a bit further away than it did before.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Student loans repaid
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2018, 10:40:28 »

Well done  :y

It's a great feeling, I paid mine off early 2014. I had a spreadsheet calculating it's exact amount, as the Student Loans only review it once a year, so you can often over-pay and they have to refund you.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2018, 10:43:01 »

Today, the last Direct Debit for my student loan repayment left my bank account, meaning that this year both SWMBO and I will join the ranks of the estimated 30% of students who actually pay back their loans.

A very useful £400pcm to add back into the kitty, but in some ways a sad moment, my youth now feels a bit further away than it did before.

Not as far away as mine, where student loans weren't a "thing" when I was a student. :-[
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2018, 10:43:59 »

I doubt my son will ever repay his.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2018, 11:00:28 »

So presumably 70% don't.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2018, 11:02:01 »

Not as far away as mine, where student loans weren't a "thing" when I was a student. :-[

Ah yes.......Victorian England. :)

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2018, 11:04:27 »

So presumably 70% don't.

If you're never going to earn enough to repay the debt .. one might question whether there was any point going in the first place, surely?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2018, 11:05:35 »

It's a great feeling, I paid mine off early 2014. I had a spreadsheet calculating it's exact amount, as the Student Loans only review it once a year, so you can often over-pay and they have to refund you.

Snap! I had a real tussle with them in Sept last year to move me onto DD and off PAYE. Otherwise I knew I'd be in the position of paying them until about September 2019 when they worked out I'd finished. By that time id be looking to get nearly £5k of overpayments back from them!

I doubt my son will ever repay his.

I truly feel sorry for students today, £9k p.a. is around 3 times what I had to pay back and the days of super low interest rates on the loans are gone. It's effectively a graduate tax by another name.  :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2018, 11:14:24 »

So presumably 70% don't.

If you're never going to earn enough to repay the debt .. one might question whether there was any point going in the first place, surely?

I agree. I was 'too thick' to go to university (hate the word 'uni') but back in the seventies only around 4% of the population went. The low numbers was almost a guarantee of a good job.

Today, everyone including the cats mother goes......... :-\ 

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2018, 11:19:30 »

So presumably 70% don't.

I think this might be looking at it the wrong way around -

Firstly, I don't think higher education should be intrinsically linked to financial benefit, as it doesn't give you a full measure of the quality of a society. To pick just a few examples: Nurses, criminal lawyers, bee keepers, midwives, social workers, paramedics are all careers which either need or can be enhanced through higher education but would probably never generate the financial wealth necessary to repay a massive student loan.

If we accept the premise that there are jobs in society that we want, but don't generate large income/tax revenues for the governent, the question then becomes, why is there so much cost placed on the individuals who choose do these jobs? I think its so fundamentally wrong that an 18 year old who chooses to train to become a nurse has to take on £50k worth of debt, pay for all their own housing, dental/optician treatments and gets no help from the state, but that same individual chooses to sit around and do faq all, they will have all of the above provided for them  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2018, 11:28:35 »

Doing the maths last night on a Master Degree, you don't start paying until you earn over £22k pa. That's on a £10k loan,... which accrues 6% interest per annum.

So, if you walked out of Uni into a £32k per year job (ie: 10 grand over the threshold) you'd pay back £600 a year.... identical to the amount you accrue in interest! So let's say you only ever earn £32k per year for the rest of your life, you'll spend all year paying off the interest, before starting back at square one again! Christ that made me swallow hard last night!

Ok, so if I earn £42k every year forever it'll take 16.66 years to pay my Masters off... (plus what I owe on my original BA Design degree off, of course., not even taking that into account!)

Then I suppose there's a house to own at some point. And people wonder why so many are benefits scroungers??
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2018, 11:42:37 »

Doing the maths last night on a Master Degree, you don't start paying until you earn over £22k pa. That's on a £10k loan,... which accrues 6% interest per annum.

So, if you walked out of Uni into a £32k per year job (ie: 10 grand over the threshold) you'd pay back £600 a year.... identical to the amount you accrue in interest! So let's say you only ever earn £32k per year for the rest of your life, you'll spend all year paying off the interest, before starting back at square one again! Christ that made me swallow hard last night!

Ok, so if I earn £42k every year forever it'll take 16.66 years to pay my Masters off... (plus what I owe on my original BA Design degree off, of course., not even taking that into account!)

Then I suppose there's a house to own at some point. And people wonder why so many are benefits scroungers??
You can't do a masters until you've done your degree...three years in my sons case. Thats the way I understand it, anyway. That's three years at £9250 per year, plus any maintenance loans you take. The maximum loan my son can get is ~ £4000pa, so £13,250 for three years (interest @ 6.1% from the April after you finish your first year)= £39,750 plus your masters on top of that.
And you don't start paying until you earn over £25K.

Edit. Sorry...I see you already have a degree.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2018, 11:52:35 by STEMO »

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2018, 11:46:21 »

And, if he chooses to go into teaching, that another year teacher training. Gahhhhh...... :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2018, 11:52:06 »

The scrounger issue is a separate one. :-X

Although the rest of your post illustrates a valid point...

Going into debt in order to gain an degree is a futile exercise. Instead of poncing around Thailand in the name of 'finding yourself' get a job, even at McDonalds but preferably one in a field that is of interest, and work your 'dangle berries' off for a year or two.

This will achieve two things: firstly you'll have a much better idea about your direction in life, and secondly, if you do still go to university choose a course based on cost rather than prestige* and go debt free.

* Ask your self this... Did you ask your doctor/dentist/solicitor where they got their degrees? Didn't think so. If your local Tech offers the course you want to do, stay at home and do the course there.

Hindsight can be a cruel bitch at times.

Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2018, 11:54:52 »

The scrounger issue is a separate one. :-X

Although the rest of your post illustrates a valid point...

Going into debt in order to gain an degree is a futile exercise. Instead of poncing around Thailand in the name of 'finding yourself' get a job, even at McDonalds but preferably one in a field that is of interest, and work your 'dangle berries' off for a year or two.

This will achieve two things: firstly you'll have a much better idea about your direction in life, and secondly, if you do still go to university choose a course based on cost rather than prestige* and go debt free.

* Ask your self this... Did you ask your doctor/dentist/solicitor where they got their degrees? Didn't think so. If your local Tech offers the course you want to do, stay at home and do the course there.

Hindsight can be a cruel bitch at times.
What a knowledgeable individual you are  ;D Try putting some of your advice into practice, you'll be Prime Minister in no time  ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.