Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Investment question.  (Read 10392 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Investment question.
« Reply #30 on: 23 September 2018, 22:01:30 »

Precious metals not a good choice.

Anything less than five years and you risk losing more than you're likely to earn ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2018, 22:27:37 »

Stuff it in your mattress, you know it makes sense.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2018, 22:28:04 »

Sky shares would have been good!

I’d be tempted to be boring and shove it in multiple ISA’s or given you location a property?

I believe the drinks are on you at the moment Tunnie?  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 24 September 2018, 09:22:23 »

Just give it to me, tigers'. I promise to finish the Cobra with it look after it.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 September 2018, 09:27:10 »

Sky shares would have been good!

I’d be tempted to be boring and shove it in multiple ISA’s or given you location a property?

I believe the drinks are on you at the moment Tunnie?  :y

:D :D :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 September 2018, 12:14:40 »

Mmmm, decisions decisions  :-\
I had a IFA recommended to me last night and will be having a work in the next week or so ........

As Zirk said, no matter what happens, the shit is going to hit the fan over the next couple of years at least so its beginning to look like its going to be a case of playing safe  :-\

Yup, i've thought about Carefully investing in a motor or 2 but the problem is storing them  :(

Question for you lot ............

Anybody stick there money in precious metals (i.e. gold or silver) ?

Also shares in large companies ?

British Petroleum ect ?

The money is a inheritance from when her mother passed away nearly 2 years ago.
Currently its sat in our lasses bog standard Lloyds bank account  :(
Not my choice believe me but with some things, she won't listen to no oppser  >:(

Sir Tiggs, we have lived in the same council house for over 27 years and would get the place for approx 50 grand (with full discount)
Its worth close to 100K and is in a pretty nice area (if you exclude me  ;D)
Again, I have been trying to get her to buy it for a good 15 years but she won't budge or listen to no oppser  :(
We ain't getting any younger and our lass is a little older then me so mortgages are out of the question.

She has a reasonably paid job in retail (Lidl) and i've just started working in retail myself because my business just never took off so that's getting wound down sadly  :(

On the plus side, we have had a zero credit / zero dept rule in the house for over 10 years now since my depts and subsequent bankruptcy very nearly destroyed this family (and my sanity).
Bottom line is, we have sweet F All but what little we do have, its ours  :y :y

I haven't even bought a lottery ticket for years  ::)

You have your golden goose right here.

35% discount on the first 5 years plus an additional 1% for every year you have been renting. Twenty two additional years in your case. :y

This should give you a whopping 57% discount. Based on your value of £100,000 you will pay a paltry £43000. :y

Then  £20000 deposit with just £23000 spread over over, say, 8 or 10 years. Payments would probably work out less than the rent or 'dead money' you are currently paying.

What's not to like. :y

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 24 September 2018, 12:17:04 »

You hit a maximum with the discount, not sure where that lies, though.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 September 2018, 12:31:15 »

You hit a maximum with the discount, not sure where that lies, though.

A maximum of 70% or £80900 (outside London).

So not a problem. :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 September 2018, 14:02:56 »

Buying the house sounds like by far the best investment you could make.

It pays back for the rest of your life!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 September 2018, 16:01:56 »

Well decision made (by me) as normal  ::)

Stick it in some ISA's for a year or two and see what happened with the property prices / interest rates after Brexit.
If relatively stable, we will buy the place.
In the meantime, I need to hold this job down and get my feet firmly under the table so to speak.
Not stayed in one job (with the exception of been self employed) for more then 2 1/2 years since the 80's and at my age, gaining employment is a nightmare  :(

Without sounding too morbid / facts of life and all that ..............  once my parents croak it (they are both well into there 70's now), I should have enough to pay off this one and maybe take a trip to the auctions for a couple of more  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 September 2018, 16:42:22 »

Stick it in some ISA's for a year or two and see what happened with the property prices / interest rates after Brexit.
In the meantime, I need to hold this job down and get my feet firmly under the table so to speak.
Not stayed in one job (with the exception of been self employed) for more then 2 1/2 years since the 80's and at my age, gaining employment is a nightmare  :(

Without sounding too morbid / facts of life and all that ..............  once my parents croak it (they are both well into there 70's now), I should have enough to pay off this one and maybe take a trip to the auctions for a couple of more  :-\

ISA's seem to offer SFA in the way of interest these days. :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 September 2018, 16:54:32 »

If the intention is to use the money to buy your first house, and if you're under 40, take a look at opening a LISA's. These allow you to put away £4K each per year, and the govt tops this up by 25%. You can continue putting money in till you're 50, so it'll take 3 years to get the entire £20K in, and once it's in the govt will have topped it up to £25K.

Be warned though, if you have to withdraw the money before age 60 for any other reason than buying a house, then the govt charge you. So be sure the money is for house purchase.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs/

If you're over 40 already, then cash ISA's probably aren't the best choice - better to use some of the high interest bank accounts coupled to regular savers.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2018, 17:01:40 by LC0112G »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 September 2018, 17:21:51 »

If the intention is to use the money to buy your first house, and if you're under 40, take a look at opening a LISA's. These allow you to put away £4K each per year, and the govt tops this up by 25%. You can continue putting money in till you're 50, so it'll take 3 years to get the entire £20K in, and once it's in the govt will have topped it up to £25K.

Be warned though, if you have to withdraw the money before age 60 for any other reason than buying a house, then the govt charge you. So be sure the money is for house purchase.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs/

If you're over 40 already, then cash ISA's probably aren't the best choice - better to use some of the high interest bank accounts coupled to regular savers.

Past 50 a couple of years ago  :(
Our lass has cracked 60  ;)

I did a quick 10 mins research on ISA's earlier.

We will look into high interest accounts and see how it goes  :y

Thanks lads  :)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 September 2018, 20:50:54 »

Past 50 a couple of years ago  :(
Our lass has cracked 60  ;)

I did a quick 10 mins research on ISA's earlier.

We will look into high interest accounts and see how it goes  :y

Thanks lads  :)

Ok. Next plan then. Does your wife work? If not, (or even if she does but earns bu99er all), she can pay up to £2880 p/a into a private pension and the govt will gross it up by 25% to £3600. Since she is 60+ she can then "cash it all in" again and take the whole lot out tax free, assuming her income is less than £9900 this tax year.

You can do the same providing you are 55 or older, and you earn £9900 or less.

So that's potentially 25% 'interest' on £5760 with a cast iron Govt guarantee, and you won't get anywhere close to that anywhere else. Rinse and repeat next year and the year after and the taxpayer will have given you and the mrs £4320 "interest" :D

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 September 2018, 21:26:16 »

every cloud / silver lining etc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.