Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: pay rise  (Read 3832 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
pay rise
« on: 12 October 2018, 19:23:17 »

just read judges are in for a £60k pay rise . don't mp,s usually follow afore mentioned

STEMO

Re: pay rise
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2018, 19:27:50 »

MPs have already had theirs.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2018, 20:36:44 »

That's what she meant by "the end of austerity".  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2018, 22:17:54 »

We deserve to be arseraped, the French certainly wouldn’t put up with it!
Mind you it’s always been the same.
Laying a rubber road.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2018, 22:28:14 »

I have no idea whether this pay rise is justified or not, but what I do know is that the criminal justice system has been chronically underfunded for years. My daughter is a barrister who passed out 2nd on her course at bar school about 30 years ago, she was at the criminal bar with a good set of chambers for 7 years, yet, although she enjoyed the work and was always busy, she had to give it up as the fee income she received, mostly legal aid, was such that she was always broke, and some months could not afford to run her car or pay her mortgage. Since then I know that legal aid has been cut again and again, and the situation must be absolutely dire for junior criminal barristers. Fortunately my daughter is now a Company Secretary and Legal Director of a major financial company in the City. My next door neighbour who is 'comfortably' off,  also has a barrister daughter who had to leave the criminal bar for the same reason, even with family financial support.
It seems the criminal bar is now a career only affordable by the rich, and it bodes ill for the future of our justice system. >:(

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2018, 23:38:03 »

Same old story the rich are trampling over the poor again and again, but they are getting richer and the poor are becoming what used to be the relatively not to badly well off.
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2018, 01:17:02 »

Same old story the rich are trampling over the poor again and again, but they are getting richer and the poor are becoming what used to be the relatively not to badly well off.
From the bloke with three cars ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2018, 09:49:12 »

I think you've read that wrong  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2018, 11:06:33 »

Nope, two Omegas and an Evo 2 ::)

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2018, 12:09:09 »

Yes. I think he meant people who are considered poor now would have been considered no too badly off not long ago.  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2018, 12:21:55 »

Only because benefits have fallen in relation to wages...

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2018, 12:37:14 »

What do people on here consider to be well off ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2018, 12:44:14 »

A net worth of £500k would probably do it...  :-\

In simple terms what you own less what you owe... So house/pension pot/investments/savings/assets minus any debt... mortgage/car/cards etc...

This number actually has very little to do with income ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2018, 13:05:02 »

It's a proposed 30 something % pay rise taking them from £180k to £240k. I think most ordinary people would think they were doing well if they had an annual salary  of £60k

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/law/2018/oct/12/call-for-a-60000-pay-rise-for-high-court-judges-sparks-anger

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2018, 13:37:54 »

My daughter now earns considerably more than that in her current job, but would have been happy to continue working at the bar if she could have afforded it. Do we, as country, wish our justice to be dispensed by only those from a wealthy background. I doubt it, but unfortunately that is the current situation. >:(
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/legal-aid-cuts-criminal-justice-system-training-costs-barristers-lawyers-law-a8484576.html

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2018, 14:23:52 »

That was a lifestyle choice then... Live within your income.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2018, 17:07:52 »

My daughter now earns considerably more than that in her current job, but  ....

I'd say that the vast majority of Joe Public don't though .....

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2018, 17:16:48 »

and....?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2018, 17:29:12 »

and....?

and nothing ..... see post #13 

I don't do bad myself, but if I was on £180K I think I'd find it very hard to justify £240k
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 17:32:19 by Andy B »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2018, 18:00:02 »

Don't see why anyone should see the need to justify what they earn*. If your clever/ hard working / fortunate enough, then good luck to you. Although Ive no doubt Chancellor McDonnell wont see it that way if a catastrophe should happen at the next election.  :o ;D

*I make an exception for people whose earnings come from my taxes. I think they do need to justify it in that case.  :)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 18:01:51 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2018, 19:22:06 »

and....?

I don't do bad myself, but if I was on £180K I think I'd find it very hard to justify £240k

I can believe that, but if Joe Public were to read the link I posted, as you no do doubt have, he might have second thoughts, especially if he, innocently, found himself in court, represented by a white, public school educated barrister, with absolutely no idea how he lives, before a Judge from the same background, and possibly from the same public school.
Incidentally, if you were on 180k, in a public service job, e.g. a Judge, but colleagues you trained with who went in a different direction, were earning 3 times your salary, your public spiritedness might come under some pressure.
Yes, it is a lifestyle choice, as Al has said, but I maintain that we need to encourage those from 'working-class' backgrounds, such as my daughter, into the criminal bar, and not, as the link states, allow it to become the preserve of those from entitled and wealthy families as it has now become. Can you suggest a way of doing this without ensuring them a reasonable and comparable income for the amount of work they do, much of which is unpaid?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2018, 19:54:18 »

and....?

I can believe that, but if Joe Public were to read the link I posted, as you no do doubt have, he might have second thoughts, especially if he, innocently, found himself in court, represented by a white, public school educated barrister, with absolutely no idea how he lives, before a Judge from the same background, and possibly from the same public school.
Incidentally, if you were on 180k, in a public service job, e.g. a Judge, but colleagues you trained with who went in a different direction, were earning 3 times your salary, your public spiritedness might come under some pressure.
Yes, it is a lifestyle choice, as Al has said, but I maintain that we need to encourage those from 'working-class' backgrounds, such as my daughter, into the criminal bar, and not, as the link states, allow it to become the preserve of those from entitled and wealthy families as it has now become. Can you suggest a way of doing this without ensuring them a reasonable and comparable income for the amount of work they do, much of which is unpaid?

I can't Chris ... but I've never really thought about it, but I'm sure I could manage on 'just' £180k  ;D. On the plus side .... does your daughter have uni fees to pay for as mine does?  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2018, 22:34:10 »

and....?

I can't Chris ... but I've never really thought about it, but I'm sure I could manage on 'just' £180k  ;D. On the plus side .... does your daughter have uni fees to pay for as mine does?  ;)

No, there were grants in those days, but I had to pay her bar school fees. :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 October 2018, 00:16:31 »

.  And what do you recon they’re worth Sherlock?
Laying a rubber road.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 October 2018, 00:18:50 »

500K?
Laying a rubber road.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 October 2018, 01:44:53 »

Good thing to, that they are being given a major pay rise. The reason judges are so well paid is to make them mostly incorruptible and that is one of the most important elements of our democracy and why the corrupt countries and people invest their ill gotten gains in the UK.

The opposite of this is Ukraine where there totally justice system is based of the size of your bribe. If you are very rich you are effectively above the law as you can buy off everything: murder, rape, theft (including major businesses), driving offences including killing people etc., etc. What cosy Westerners don't realise is what that really means in what you take for granted, like having money in a bank account. A bank employee will help the mafia take it, either through 'bank charges' or indirect theft for their payoff, which is why Ukrainians don't keep money in banks.

The global MOB boss of bosses is Ukrainian Semion Mogilevich who runs the Russian mafia, Ukrainian Mafia and now the US mafia. For them it is always about the money and they will take every $ they can from everybody they can with impunity where they own/payoff judges, politicians etc. FBI untouchable Robert Mueller III took down the Teflon Don and now he is working on the biggest and most important case of his career, where the Trump clan and compromised GOP congressmen and senators are just the tip of the iceberg of US and global elites corruption. If you think globalization biggest success was cheap mass produced goods for everyone, it wasn't. For the mafia it was their globalization of:

1. Drugs.
2. People trafficking.
3. Money laundering.
4. Counterfeit goods.
5. Hacking, malware, botnets and fraud.
6. Protection rackets.
7. Front 'legit' businesses.
8. Investing in Tech companies, main stream media, PR fronts and lobbying companies to create the narrative to their advantage.
9. Corrupting business owners, financial company employees, law enforcement, judges, lawyers, accountants, journalists and most important of all politicians.

And turning countries like Russia into mafia states and if they win in the US the same will apply to them, which will end Western civilization as we know it. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

2boxerdogs

« Reply #26 on: 14 October 2018, 08:53:06 »

Good thing to, that they are being given a major pay rise. The reason judges are so well paid is to make them mostly incorruptible and that is one of the most important elements of our democracy and why the corrupt countries and people invest their ill gotten gains in the UK.

The opposite of this is Ukraine where there totally justice system is based of the size of your bribe. If you are very rich you are effectively above the law as you can buy off everything: murder, rape, theft (including major businesses), driving offences including killing people etc., etc. What cosy Westerners don't realise is what that really means in what you take for granted, like having money in a bank account. A bank employee will help the mafia take it, either through 'bank charges' or indirect theft for their payoff, which is why Ukrainians don't keep money in banks.

The global MOB boss of bosses is Ukrainian Semion Mogilevich who runs the Russian mafia, Ukrainian Mafia and now the US mafia. For them it is always about the money and they will take every $ they can from everybody they can with impunity where they own/payoff judges, politicians etc. FBI untouchable Robert Mueller III took down the Teflon Don and now he is working on the biggest and most important case of his career, where the Trump clan and compromised GOP congressmen and senators are just the tip of the iceberg of US and global elites corruption. If you think globalization biggest success was cheap mass produced goods for everyone, it wasn't. For the mafia it was their globalization of:

1. Drugs.
2. People trafficking.
3. Money laundering.
4. Counterfeit goods.
5. Hacking, malware, botnets and fraud.
6. Protection rackets.
7. Front 'legit' businesses.
8. Investing in Tech companies, main stream media, PR fronts and lobbying companies to create the narrative to their advantage.
9. Corrupting business owners, financial company employees, law enforcement, judges, lawyers, accountants, journalists and most important of all politicians.

And turning countries like Russia into mafia states and if they win in the US the same will apply to them, which will end Western civilization as we know it. >:( >:( >:(

Absolutely spot on agree with you 100 percent.

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 14 October 2018, 10:25:42 »

We're doooooomed.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
NRe: pay rise
« Reply #28 on: 14 October 2018, 10:34:25 »

Yes there’s some truth in that but from what I can see of it the more  money people have the more they want and it can corrupt anybody.
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.